The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #26
tahunua001

Quote:
Interesting... More or less a certified replica from Remington?

I didn't know there was so much to these rifles.
no not really, it is not really common knowledge since these rifles are colloquially called Springfields but they were manufactured but the US armories at Rock Island and Springfield during WWI, During WWII Springfield was busy making M1s and Rock Island had shut down so the US government contracted with two civilian companies; Remington and Smith Corona to build the 1903 which given some modifications became the 1903A3 and 1903A4 to ease production and allow scope mounting. remington didn't build certified replicas, they built actual 1903s, 1903A3s and 1903A4s and did a number of refits post war.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.