The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Anibal

Some questions about the 9X23 Winchester

Hello everybody, I have some questions about the 9X23 Winchester caliber:

There are some revolvers chambered for the .38 Super auto caliber, like some models 627 or 686 of S&W. Is it possible to shoot the 9X23 caliber Winchester in them in a safety way? Do they use the same moon clips in both calibers?

I heard that is possible to make the 9X23 cutting the .223 o .222 cases to 23 mm, is it true?

One of those reloads using .223 or .222 loaded at .38 super levels can feed a normal semiautomatic .38 super pistol? Or is a re-chamber need because the lack of the semi rimed cases?
Old September 25, 2012, 10:03 PM   #2
TheTinMan

SAAMI chamber pressure max is over 50,000 PSI vs. 36,500 for .38 Super +P. Not something to take lightly.

There is enough difference between .38 Super chamber and 9x23 chamber for me to avoid ever mixing the two up. Especially the larger diameter of the chamber near the case head for .38 Super.
http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...-%20Pistol.pdf

Older .38 Super pistols headspace on the semi-rim. Most but maybe not all newer .38 Super pistols headspace on the case mouth like 9x23 does.

I believe that you need a different extractor for 9x23 vs. .38 Super. At the least, the extractor needs to be tuned differently.

If you start modifying rifle brass to wildcat a pistol cartridge, you better take into account the potential for a large difference in the case's interior volume and the effects that difference will have on chamber pressure.
Old September 26, 2012, 12:57 PM   #3
Anibal

Thanks a lot, it was very clear and helpful your information. I suspect the headspace in both calibers (.38 super and 9X23 Winchester) in semiautomatic pistols would be different, now I confirmed it. And you confirmed me the suspect that different moon clips would be necessary in revolvers. Thanks again.
Thanks for your warning too.