The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 10, 2009, 06:01 PM   #1
Domino

Can the Stoeger Cougar pistols use Beretta magazines?

I'm just curious if the magazines sold by Beretta will work with the pistols now made under the Stoeger brand? Thanks.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Ben

Yes

Ben
Old April 10, 2009, 06:58 PM   #3
no1_gun

Yup! Beretta sold the machinery for the Cougar to Stoeger so they are interchangable!
Old April 10, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
BigMike

Beretta Cougar mags, not the 92/96 series.
TFL Alumni #2636
Old April 10, 2009, 09:47 PM   #5
dawgfvr

Stoeger does not make magazines for the Stoeger Cougar. The Stoeger Cougar is actually sold with two "Beretta Magainzes"...made in Italy.
Old April 10, 2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Distortion

Why do people say Beretta sold the machinery for the Cougar to Stoeger? Beretta, or to be more precise, Beretta's parent company, the Beretta Holding Corporation, besides Beretta owns Beretta USA, Benelli, Franchi, SAKO, Stoeger, Tikka, Uberti, the Burris Optics company, and 20 percent of the Browning Arms Company.

The Stoeger Cougar is the Beretta Cougar. Well, except that I believe "Cougar" was just a nickname for the Beretta 8000.
Old April 10, 2009, 11:04 PM   #7
inaweofschon

You'll have to really shop around in order to find them under $40! :barf:
Old April 11, 2009, 12:00 AM   #8
Bart Noir

Cougar was more than a nickname.

I once passed on buying a Beretta Cougar limited edition, that came with a cougar emblem on the grips and on the case. So Cougar was a real name for those.

Since I am a grad of Washington State ("the WSU Cougars") I should have bought it. Oh well, years later I made up for it by getting a Stoeger Cougar at a great price.

Bart Noir
Who notices that 'dawgfvr' may have had simply no desire to buy that limited edition......
Old April 11, 2009, 02:35 AM   #9
NWCP

How do you all like the Stoeger Cougar? How does it compare to the Italian built Cougar? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I am curious about the Turkish built pistol. I have a buddy looking for a good quality pistol that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Sounds like the magazines do though.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:12 AM   #10
WC145

Buy your mags direct from Beretta, they're just $19.95 right now. Here's the link-
https://www.berettausa.com/e2wShoppi...336:3100001457
Old April 11, 2009, 09:14 AM   #11
daferg2

Quote:
How does it compare to the Italian built Cougar?
I've owned both (still have the Stoeger) and IMO they are one in the same. The name on the side may be different, but it is the same gun.

Quote:
good quality pistol that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Sounds like the magazines do though.
I bought some mags directly from Beretta for only $19.95 at this link: https://www.berettausa.com/e2wShoppi...336:3100001457

Not sure how long they'll last at this price, but they're definitely not expensive.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:29 AM   #12
MightyPir

Its a great pistol. The finish is not too bad and one that you can live with for the price. However, the best thing about the gun is that it is utterly reliable, simple to strip and maintain, high capacity and has great pointability. Its very very accurate if you do your bit and the rotating barrel and all steel construction makes recoil very low. The gun is a relatively new design, has all the needed safety bits and feeds everything with no problem.

The ability to keep the safety on while chambering or unloading the weapon is an added bonus for a HD weapon, IMHO.

Highly recommended at the price!
Old April 11, 2009, 11:02 AM   #13
wilson133

If you are in need of a metal frame DA/SA duty size pistol in 9mm or .40 and have to stay under $400, you simply can't do better. I agree with the above poster's comments. It's not really for concealed carry, but mne spends a lot of time in the glove compartment.
One thing that stands out for me is the ergonomics. I have had a number of people pick up this gun, with my permission of course, and talk about how well it fits their hand.
If only they would release it in .45.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:16 PM   #14
Ghriegünst

I have to concur with all of the above posts. I just bought my Beretta Cougar a couple of weekends ago and I love it. I am a die-hard Sig Sauer fan, and this gun really turned me on to Beretta. Just enough safety features to keep around the house and teach my wife to safe-handle and shoot with. Nice and compact, utterly reliable, and accurate. The best thing about it is the ergonomics. I've never had a gun fit in my hand so well. A few notes from above posts - the Beretta version is definitely called the Cougar - mine is marked "MOD. 8000 COUGAR F" on the slide. The magazines are definately interchangeable between Stoeger and Beretta. And someone remarked that they wish it was made in .45 - it is, the Beretta 8045 Cougar. Same gun, .45ACP
Old April 12, 2009, 11:12 PM   #15
daferg2

Quote:
And someone remarked that they wish it was made in .45 - it is, the Beretta 8045 Cougar. Same gun, .45ACP
Well, it WAS. Beretta hasn't manufactured the Cougar for a couple of years in favor of the PX4. If you want a Cougar in .45ACP, you'll have to buy used or get REAL lucky and find one NIB that's been tucked away somewhere. For a new one, we'll have to hope Stoeger comes around to making its version of the 8045. We can only hope for now.

Last edited by daferg2; April 12, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old February 16, 2011, 04:31 PM   #16
RangerHAAF

Just picked mine up today. 9mm model; ergonomics are very good and the weight is less than the full sized 92F model. I considered the 45 model but it was heavier and beefier than I liked. I look forward to shooting it soon. It will be my primary open carry gun.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old February 16, 2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Ozzieman

I own the Beretta 8000 and have shot a friend’s Stoeger.
My 8000 was from the first year that Beretta started building them. My personally feeling is that the 8000 has a nicer finish (but not by much) but his Stoeger has a much nicer trigger in double action but about the same in single, smoother would be a good description.
Both are Great guns and if I was to pick between the two right now it would be the Stoeger for the price. (I paid more for my Beretta many years ago then he did last year for his Stoeger)
I have 2 Beretta 10 round magazines and 6 Stoeger 15. Yes they do fit.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:27 PM   #18
RangerHAAF

Ergonomically I can't tell any difference between the 92F that I carried in the army vs the Cougar except the weight difference. The Beretta 92F was very accurate and I can only hope that the Cougar follows the same standard.

Tomorrow I'm going out to do some trading with my local gun shop to see if they'll trade me for some 45 JHPs that I have and don't need for some 9 mm ammo and some magazines.
A Colt Python's trigger pull is as smooth, beautiful and artistic as a Sidewinder sliding on the desert floor. It is concepts like this that the anti-gunners can never comprehend and why we fight so hard to keep them.
NRA Benefactor Life member
Old September 23, 2012, 11:14 AM   #19
jackal82

Stoeger Compact 9mm

I was curious if the mags for the Beretta Mini cougar would fit the Stoeger Compact 9mm? I found some on Ebay but was afraid to order in case they would fit because of return hassles.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:18 PM   #20
wpsdlrg

The MINI Cougar, if I am correct about this, uses a 10 round magazine. The Compact Stoeger Cougar uses a 13 round magazine. The 10 rounders are probably too short to fit the Mini grip. So, no, I doubt that the MINI magazines would fit the COMPACT Cougar.

On the other hand, it WOULD work the other way around (the Compact magazines WOULD fit the Mini Cougar).