The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 25, 2012, 08:38 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

Consider that even if the affect on porting is negligible, does that slight reduction per shot in felt recoil result in a tangible effect if you are shooting 200+ a day for two or three days in a row. One miss is the difference between winning and not winning; getting into the finals and not getting in. I think, as I am far from being a competition shooter.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:53 AM   #27
B.L.E.

A muzzle brake may be noticeable with international trap loads which are only 7/8 ounce but are loaded to around 1400 fps, which means the powder to shot ratio is higher than normal target loads.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:34 AM   #28
PJR

Quote:
What's important is: is your average score, over 1,000 rounds, higher with porting? You can't tell much with only 25 rounds.
You can tell whether there is a discernable difference in recoil and muzzle jump. Perhaps even more so because you are focused just on the recoil of the gun. This testing as well as owning and shooting ported guns leads me to the firm belief the technical benefits of ported barrels are over-stated. But if a shooter believes that the barrel porting is breaking more targets then the mental benefits are undeniable.

If you want to improve your scores getting your barrels ported is very, very low on the list of the things I would recommend. YMMV.

Last edited by PJR; September 26, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:54 AM   #29
Firefighter88

Although I think we have strayed from the OP, I will add my two cents. I have learned in other aspects of competition, that the very fine details and differences that affect performance for the better or worse are only noticed by the more experienced individuals. I am an amateur when it comes to guns, and porting may not affect my performance at all, but when you get to higher levels of competition, EVERYTHING affects performance. I may not even be able to tell a 20 guage from a 12, if blind folded. I bet a professional could(or even experienced amateurs). If you change anything with the gun, drill holes in the barrel for instance, things change.
Old September 26, 2012, 03:17 PM   #30
zippy13

Quote:
Quote:
What's important is: is your average score, over 1,000 rounds, higher with porting? You can't tell much with only 25 rounds.
You can tell whether there is a discernable difference in recoil and muzzle jump.
It's often the indiscernible differences, the very subtile changes that can make a difference in performance. My scores are higher, especially in all-doubles events, with ported barrels. YMMV.
Old September 26, 2012, 05:13 PM   #31
PJR

Quote:
My scores are higher, especially in all-doubles events, with ported barrels.
Is the gun one that you added porting to and changed nothing else? If so then you can make the point that porting is giving you better scores. But if it's a different gun, different stock, different load or some other change then any or all of these factors may equally be part of the improvement if not greater.
Old September 26, 2012, 06:53 PM   #32
zippy13

Quote:
Is the gun one that you added porting to and changed nothing else? If so then you can make the point that porting is giving you better scores. But if it's a different gun, different stock, different load or some other change then any or all of these factors may equally be part of the improvement if not greater.
PJR, FYI:
Both barrel sets of my Beretta 682x were ported after a ShockMaster was installed.
Perazzi Mirage was ported before the addition of the JS Air unit.
Perazzi SC3 was ported by the factory but has custom wood.
Perazzi MX8 is non-ported but has custom wood.
Remington 1100T (rainy day gun) has only been ported (2 barrels).

Only the 1100 has factory wood, the others have been altered. With my primary comp guns having recoil reduction systems, there isn't a noticeable change in recoil; however, I do feel that I can get on the second shot quicker with the ported guns. I've been using the same recipe reloads for years. As you mentioned earlier, it's hard to know how much is between the ears.
Old September 27, 2012, 08:28 PM   #33
TheKlawMan

I am guessing that there is a difference between what you consciously recognize to be more recoil and what your body subconsciously recognizes.