The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 20, 2012, 08:52 AM   #1
cw308

Partial neck sizing

Have been reloading 308 Cal. Winchester brass, saw a video on youtube on partial neck sizing. I now partial neck size & am marking my caseings with a marker so they enter the chamber in the same position. Has anyone out there tried this. Chris
Old September 20, 2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Woody55

I've marked the bullet so I could tell where the rifling started and adjust the over all length of the cartridge, but I don't recall marking the brass.

How do you do it? Why?
Old September 20, 2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Slamfire

Do not partial neck size, or neck size for any semi automatic weapon. You do something like that on a M1a, the round will be so long the firing pin tang won't touch the receiver bridge and you have created the conditions for an out of battery slamfire. Same for Garands, but I doubt you are shooting a 308 Garand.

Partial neck sizing will only work for bolt rifles and then in time, you are going to have to full length resize when bolt closure becomes difficult.

I have a couple of friends who are in their categories, National Champs at F Class. They all full length resize. If the 1000 yard shooters full length resize, and win, that ought to be a clue that full length resizing is perfectly adequate for accurate shooting.
Old September 20, 2012, 11:54 AM   #4
603Country

I partial resize and also neck size. The neck sizing is, for me, a newer process than the partial resizing, which I've done for decades. Both work just fine, but as someone said, it probably should be done just for bolt action rifles. Partial resizing supposedly works better on cases with taper (270, 30-06, etc.) than on cases with less taper (223 and 308), though I can't swear to the technical truth of that. I partial resized for my 223, but it did appear to have bulged the shoulder just a tiny bit. It chambered, but with some resistance. I fiddled with it a bit, but couldn't eliminate the problem, so I bought a neck die and now the 223 is chambering as it should. I coulda maybe fiddled with it more, but I wanted to try the neck die anyway.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:30 PM   #5
cw308

The rifle is a bolt Rem.700 LTR 308 Cal. I mark the cases so they are sitting in the chamber at the same exact position, reload after reload. Just in case the chamber was not cut exact. It maybe overkill,if your are careful in making the rounds exact in every way, shooting style the same,why not place the round in the chamber in the same position. slowes up the pase and lets the barrel cool. I use Winchester brass, Fed. match primers,IMR 4064 42.0 Gr. Sierra 168 Gr. HPMK,OAL 2.800. 200 yards is max. at the ranges on LI NY. The LTR has a 20" brl. it groups 1/2 - 3/4 at that distance. Looking only for target loads, not hot. The vol. is 2474 out of the 20''brl. still it's pretty accurate. It's a stock rifle except for a jewell trigger 10 oz. I bed the action with devcon, it's a fun weapon to shoot.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Woody55

Thanks for the explanation.

No, it's nothing I've ever done.
Old September 20, 2012, 04:50 PM   #7
TATER

I personally feel that runout plays a much bigger role.
Big Grin, .. I have a buddy that indexes his brass too..
But, he takes it a step further than that. He reloads at the bench with the same piece of Lapua brass over and over. He is retired and enjoys it....

There is no reason to stay at 2.800, you are not using the magazine and Remingtons usually have long "generous" throats, I bet you can tighten that group up a little. NOT taking anything away from your .5 group. Thats Great!
While you are not noticing it now at 200 yards, Heck, you are almost at 2500 fps, You should be able to find the next node up pretty easy moving at .3 grains (that’s not going to be Hot)
I can make 2600 out of my 20" FN. With no signs of pressure at all. I think you will find that faster relative burn rates work to your advantage with shorter barrels.

HTH
Old September 20, 2012, 08:46 PM   #8
jepp2

If you are getting 1/2 to 3/4" groups at 200 yards you are doing lots of things correct.

A couple of thoughts on partial neck sizing:
- if you are using a FL sizing die and just running the case neck part way into your die, you are probably slightly sizing the body of the brass. Any body sizing is going to tend to move the shoulder forward.
- how are lubing the inside of the neck? Normal FL sizing dies tend to undersize the neck, even if you are only partially sizing it. Then the expander opens it back up. It can pull the neck off center if not properly lubed. Using the carbide expanders will significantly reduce the effort to expand the neck.
- the Lee collet die is another option to neck size your brass. It will not move the shoulder forward and most find the concentricity of neck is improved over using a FL die even if partial neck sizing. Takes a bit of learning to use properly, but once you learn how to use it.

I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong, you just asked for opinions.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:34 AM   #9
cw308

Asking questions & getting answers is what it's all about. I thank all of you,nothing wrong with picking someones brain,thats how I learn. I am using RCBS neck die, In Sinclair's magazine, there is a Forster replacement carbide expander unit for the RCBS neck die, I will give it a try. As for OAL on my Remington it does have a long throat, by moving the bullet closer to the lands, I will have more air space in the caseing. if I increase the powder charge it might be something to try, I do load one at a time. With IMR 4064 42.0 gr. it brings the powder just about to the base of the bullet when die is set at 2.800 oal. I feel it is better for accuracy when there is no powder movement in the bullet,when standing up or laying down. Chris
Old September 21, 2012, 08:51 AM   #10
603Country

By golly, I think that jepp2 just explained the problem I was having with the 223 case and the possible issue with partial resizing of cases without much taper. Partial resizing of tapered cases probably doesn't touch the shoulder, which makes them easier to partial resize and then chamber.