The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1
plouffedaddy

SIG P6 Review

The SIG P6 has a long pedigree as a duty gun; it was issued to West German police in the mid-1970s and continued to serve until the fall of the Berlin Wall (even longer in other units). It's a DA/SA, 8+1, 9mm pistol built to the quality standards that SIG is known for. Here's some pros and cons of this pistol:

Pros:
-Feels extremely well built in the hand
-Has fed all FMJ and 115gr JHP ammo I've fed it flawlessly
-It can be found for under $400 from many online dealers
-Very good ergos; feels great in the hand
-Factory grips and front strap groves provide a positive grip in all elements
-Maintenance/cleaning is simple and straightforward
-SA trigger has less overtravel than most pistols of its' era and breaks cleanly
-DA trigger pull is smooth with P225 mainspring installed (I swapped mine out)
-Comes with a surplus duty holster, spare mag pouch, and 2 mags
-Uses standard SIG sights so there are a lot of aftermarket options available
-Gun seems to have very good inherent accuracy

Cons:
-The gun is large for a single stack 9mm by modern standards
-The P6 barrels made prior to 1989 are designed to feed FMJ rounds; may or may not feed JHPs reliably
-It comes with all black blade sights which I find difficult to pick up quickly
-The heavier (relative to P225) factory mainspring creates a DA pull that exceeds 12 lbs and is difficult to change (ask me how I know!)

Here's a video of me shooting the pistol from the 12m line, a tabletop discussion where I disassemble the gun and give some close up shots of the barrel/ramp and go over some of the pros/cons of the pistol, a side by side size comparison to a P229, and lastly a chronograph test of some modern defensive/carry loads through this gun:

SIG SAUER P6 REVIEW HD VIDEO

All in all, this is a quality pistol and a great way to obtain a SIG pistol at a relatively low price point. I'm glad I bought it and would buy it again but for someone looking for a higher capacity pistol the surplus 228s that have hit the market may be a better option for slightly more money.

Chrono numbers:

Federal 124gr HST: 1101fps, 334 ft/lbs energy
Federal 124gr +p HST: 1103fps, 335 ft/lbs energy
Winchester Ranger 115gr JHP: 1103fps, 311 ft/lbs energy
Remington UMJ 115gr JHP: 1168fps, 348 ft/lbs energy

Old September 20, 2012, 09:34 PM   #2
hAkron

Wideners right? I've got two On order from them right now (one for each hand :)
Old September 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #3
twhidd

I own a P6 and a P225. I replaced the mainspring in the P6 with a spring from a P225 and the trigger is much better now.

Old September 20, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4
tulsamal

I bought one from W last year. I then went to Top Gun Supply and bought their refurb spring kit. Replaced everything. Put a 19 pound mainspring in it. Gave me a chance to do a total detail strip of it and get everything nice and clean. They really are great pistols. Got to love getting a gun made in 1980 in West Germany for $399.

Mine has fed HP's with no issues. The only ammo it has choked on has been low powered stuff. Feed it full powered duty ammo and it just keeps on going.

I love the feel of a single stack Sig. I have a really nice custom 229 that is worth a lot more money but the P6 actually feels better in the hand!

Gregg
Old September 21, 2012, 01:00 PM   #5
Samuel2011

Top Gun is great! I also picked up the spring kit with the 19 Lb. mainspring, 4 spare magazines and a new set of grips. Mine was made 9/79 and was rode hard but interestingly no internal wear to speak of!?!?

Mine shouldn't feed HP's but it has digested everything I've put in the mag with the exception of some 147gr. Hydra-Shocks I had in the odd ball ammo bin.

I chose mine over some newer vintage ones when I was shopping, cause the slide has no dings or dents. Most of the finish is worn off from being drawn in and out of the holster.

At $279 I should have bought 2 back then.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:28 PM   #6
plouffedaddy

Just got my barrel back from customized creationz. Haven't fired it yet but I'll report back when I do....
Old September 21, 2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Strafer Gott

My 225 came with 3 mags, which for a single stack makes a selling point. Very comfortable, with straight eight sights, which seem to help with my astigmatism. Very comfortable carry. Same size as my 239, with a different trigger guard shape. I like it.
Old September 21, 2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Skadoosh

One of my favorite guns.
Old September 23, 2012, 08:02 PM   #9
hAkron

Top Gun is a cool place. They are not too far from here. Their show room area is beautiful. It's kind of like a gun boutique.