The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
flatlander7

.32 cal pistol

I'm trying to research a .32 cal. s&w long cartridge, short barrel pistol I bought in the late 60's. Its called a Titanic and its stamped, made in Italy. Does anyone know anything about this pistol as to its safety or quality etc. I've shot around 25 rounds target shooting and it seems to be a safe pistol but I would like to know more about its roots and manufacturer. Thanks.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:47 AM   #2
carguychris

Are there any other markings on the pistol besides "Titanic" and the cartridge designation?
Old September 19, 2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Are you sure it wasn't stamped TITAN?

Does it look anything like the revolver on this page?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Titan was a brand name used by Fireams International Export (FIE), based in, I believe, Florida.

They were known for bringing in rather inexpensive and not very well made guns from Italy and possibly Spain and Germany.

Their best known product was the FIE Titan .25 and .32 semi-auto.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 19, 2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Ah, helps when I use the correct search terms.

It looks like there was also an FIE Titanic .32 Long, which looks a bit different than the one I linked above.

It could have been a different model.

Any way you cut it, though, quality is marginal and generally the FIE guns won't stand up to a lot of shooting.

Old September 19, 2012, 02:45 PM   #5
carguychris

Quote:
Any way you cut it, though, quality is marginal and generally the FIE guns won't stand up to a lot of shooting.
FWIW this is generally true of most inexpensive European revolvers imported in the 50s and 60s, with the possible exception of certain Colt Single Action Army knockoffs. In my personal experience, inexpensive double-action FIE-type guns aren't necessarily unsafe in like-new condition, but accuracy is often poor, and they typically "shoot loose" quickly.

Value is typically low; ~$120 like new in box, and most moderately used examples trade in the $50-$80 range.

Last edited by carguychris; September 19, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old September 27, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
flatlander7

.32 cal Titanic

That pic is like my pistol with a few very minor differences. There appears to be a hole in front of the cylinder, maybe the screw is missing. There is the head of a screw visible in mine. Mine has brown plastic grips with a double circle with a large CG and four short marks equal around circle. There is also a safey tab in front of rear trigger guard. Thanks for the info.
Old September 27, 2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

That isn't a safety. Its the sear. The trigger pushes on it to drop the hammer. That is a very old design style.