The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Stuohn

Walmart: Guns on layaway

Was in Walmart yesterday buying ammo when the clerk informed me that they are accepting guns on layaway. Just thought Id share the info for anyone interested.

Last edited by Stuohn; September 21, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:40 PM   #2
Justice06RR

I thought about that too, if they do layaway on firearms. Although i'm not one to really buy guns at WallyWorld, but its good to have the option.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:54 PM   #3
rightside

Good to know. Thanks
Old September 20, 2012, 07:53 AM   #4
CajunBass

I buy a lot of guns on layaway. Not necessarly at Wal-Mart, but it's nice to know they have that as an option again.

I'm old enough to remember when people used layaway instead of credit cards. My mother had a bin at Sears with her name on it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 20, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Stressfire

Hunting season must be upon us, my WallyWorld is fully stocked with front-stuffers, it's all they sell besides ammo and camo
Old September 20, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm asking this seriously, not to be a pedant, not to embarass you, or anything like that, but I'm not sure you've said what you meant to say...

You said "they are excepting guns on layaway..."

While the above construction is somewhat colloquial in how the word except is used, to "except something" means to remove it, to exclude it, to disallow it.

Essentially, your sentence as written means that guns cannot be put on layaway at WalMart.

The other possible word, and the one I THINK you wanted to use, is accept. That would mean that you CAN put a gun on layaway at WalMart.

Could you clarify, please?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 20, 2012, 09:58 AM   #7
Patriot86

I was in Walmart last weekend they have layaway signs EVERYWHERE already. Too bad my local walmart does not sell guns.
Old September 21, 2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Kentucky-75

How much down is required to layaway a gun at Walmart and how long do they let you layaway it for?
Old September 21, 2012, 10:36 AM   #9
silverbug

10% and until 12/14 i think
Old September 21, 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
Stuohn

OK I fixed it and yes I meant to type accept not except, Thank You for the heads up Mike.

As far as the time frame & money down I do not know.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:50 PM   #11
rickyjames

i just purchased a dpms 223 from walmart today. they were well stocked and had a bunch of black rifles. although i didn;t use it,i like layaway.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #12
ScottRiqui

My local Wal-Mart sells ammo and some cheap Chinese scopes, but that's about it as far as gun-related stuff goes (no cleaning kits, targets, accessories or anything like that.) There aren't many gun shops in the Norfolk area, so I'm a little jealous of all of you who have Wal-Marts that stock guns, reloading supplies, etc.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:59 PM   #13
teeroux

I think there is an 870 tactical with my name on it then.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:17 PM   #14
patron1974

..well its off to wallyworld tomorrow!!!
Old September 22, 2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Navy joe

I miss layaway. As for guns, I had one on layaway once at a military exchange. Thank god I needed the money so I cancelled, at that time I was drinking the premium priced steyr scout koolaid.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:36 PM   #16
patron1974

Went to walmart today hoping to put a Windham Weaponry WW15 on layaway..well they have one left but the cashier said they required 50% for layaway. Anyone else here know anything on the matter? Thanks.
Old September 23, 2012, 10:55 PM   #17
Drudge

No weapons sold at any Walmarts around here even the ammo is scarce and the pricing for it is ridiculous
Old September 24, 2012, 06:45 AM   #18
rebs

The ad in our Sunday news paper from walmart has all kinds of guns in it, but none of our local walmart sells guns. Whats with the ad's ?
Old September 24, 2012, 09:42 AM   #19
mete

They're torn between being anti-gun and making money !!
In the end of course making money will win and finally all the stores will sell guns.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:29 AM   #20
jimpeel

The layaway policy is the same as last year for Christmas. Firearms were also able to be laid away last year.

The minimum down is $10 or 10%, whichever is greater, plus $5 and all items to be laid away have to be more than $15. Items may be added or deleted from any layaway package or the package can be canceled. You lose the $5. If you pay the layaway in full you get the $5 on a store credit shopping card.

This year we are able to take the final payment at any register whereas last year the final payment had to be tendered at the layaway desk. We already have several layaway firearms in the vault at my store.

Details: http://www.walmart.com/cp/Layaway/10..._redirect=true

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey

Last edited by jimpeel; September 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:36 AM   #21
jimpeel

Quote:
Originally Posted by patron1974 View Post
Went to walmart today hoping to put a Windham Weaponry WW15 on layaway..well they have one left but the cashier said they required 50% for layaway. Anyone else here know anything on the matter? Thanks.
Yes. He is full of excrement. Print out the following link and take it to him and shove it in his face. The down is $10 or 10% whichever is greater.

If he argues tell him to call his manager and speak to them on this associate's lack of knowledge.

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Layaway/10..._redirect=true

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

Old September 24, 2012, 07:31 PM   #22
Eghad

Maybe the sign at the WalMart depending on the location said "excepting firearms for layaway".....lol.

NRA Life Member
Old September 24, 2012, 09:03 PM   #23
North East Redneck

Local WallMart stopped selling guns years ago. Not even a muzzle loader. However, the ammo prices are the best around.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:58 PM   #24
scottd913

i just want to be buried in wal-mart parking lot so my wife will come visit me
Old September 25, 2012, 12:55 AM   #25
jimpeel

Okay. Here's the skinny on firearms layaways.

I asked about the 50% figure and was told it was not true EXCEPT for special orders. Then the figure is 50% down.

All other sales are treated as simple merchandise and the 10% figure applies.

If they tell you anything other than 10% for firearms in stock tell them to call their manager and if he says you are wrong tell him the following in these words:

"Go look on the WIRE and look up the SOPs for sporting goods layaways."

Don't take "No" for an answer.

The WIRE is the Wal-Mart Intranet. The SOPs describe how the layaway sale is to be made step-by-step.