The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 20, 2012, 03:15 PM   #1
RlyShadow

M91-30 Mosin Nagant

Is there any way that I can find where my rifle has been specifically? Or maybe some history on the person who had it, battles it may of seen? Just anything on the rifle really?
Old September 20, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
emcon5

Sadly, no.
Old September 20, 2012, 06:19 PM   #3
tobnpr

^^
Nearly 18,000,000 of the 91/30's alone manufactured...
That's why most of them are under a hundred bucks.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:37 AM   #4
AngryWalrus

Depends what year it was manufactured, I have a 1944 mosin that was probably not serviced due to it being made the last 2 years of WWII, its possible it was issued, just never saw combat. Check out 7.62x54r.net for info on markings and all sorts of stuff. I think if it was made in 1942 or prior during the war odds are 99% chance it saw combat.
Old September 21, 2012, 09:57 AM   #5
emcon5

Right, but you are still just guessing. A wartime Mosin likely saw combat, but there is no way to say for sure, and definitely no way to determine what battles or who carried it.
Old September 21, 2012, 10:20 AM   #6
AngryWalrus

I kinda deviated from the question I realize, still on my first cup of coffee.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
tahunua001

there is no documentation of any military surplus rifle after they leave a factory.

1. they are made, packed in crates and assigned to a soldier.

2. if the soldier is KIA his rifle is either A) grabbed by the guy that killed him as a souvenir, B) grabbed by one of his comrades that needs parts/ammo/something better than what he was issued or C) grabbed up after the battle by whoever still controls the field and reissued to rear echelon troops/reservists/resistance fighters.
in any of those cases, there is now no longer documentation of where that rifle ended up at

3. if the soldier lives then he either A) is a bad little boy and keeps government property as his own, or B) throws it in a stack of other rifles where they will be repacked and shipped in to be refitted and repacked again in crates, where they sit in storage until A) wartime emergency requires them to be re-issued, B) they are sold off as military surplus or C) they are destroyed.

no matter the circumstances, there is always going to be a place where the paper trail ends. especially so in the case of 91/30s since tens of millions of them were made and they only have 4 digit serial numbers.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 21, 2012, 12:20 PM   #8
RC20

All I can say is mine most likely came out of Spain and from he looks of it, used a lot. Beat to hell in other words.

Dates says it was mid war there so that makes sense.

Also no parts match on the serial number so you can guess it was hashed back together.

So you can make some educated guesses on date, where it was made (US, Russia) and what was going on, possible distribution channel.

Mind would have been a Cummins pickup and sold through the NRA in the 50s.

Tags
1942 , m91-30 , mosin nagant , ww2