The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 19, 2012, 08:12 AM   #51
TacticalDefense1911

Quote:
Actually, at the $1,000 and down price point almost NONE have forged frames and slides. Colt does. Springfield does (but those are not made in the U.S.) All the others in this price range use investment cast frames, and most of the others in this price range also use investment cast slides. A few use "extruded" slides, and there's debate as to whether or not to consider that a form of forging.
This is inaccurate. Kimber, S&W and Sig all use forged frames and slides and this is a very large chunk of the sub $1k market along with Colt and Springfield which you mentioned. Taurus (gulp) is also all forged. Auto Ordnance, Remington R1, Desert Eagle, and Ruger all have forged slides. I'm sure I'm missing some. The Springer frames are made by Imbel who is a very reputable company. You will see more cast frames when you get below the $800 mark and the low end guns like the Rock Islands and other simlilar guns will have extruded slides. Para guns have cast frames and slides as far as I know which is not normal across the industry.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:17 AM   #52
dgludwig

Quote:
This is inaccurate. Kimber, S&W and Sig all use forged frames and slides
True-and SIG does sell some of their production level models with smooth grips.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:11 PM   #53
Denezin

Colt commander for carry. Not too small and not too big. Soups just right.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:09 AM   #54
YankeeIronSights

Update: picked up the SR1911 I had on layaway on Thursday and will test it this weekend. Ruger certainly has a very happy customer...
Old September 22, 2012, 10:29 AM   #55
plouffedaddy

Congrats on the SR1911; it's a good gun.
Old September 22, 2012, 10:31 AM   #56
Constantine

Congrats! Let us know how she goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 22, 2012, 10:44 AM   #57
polyphemus

Post #50 should be required reading.
Old September 22, 2012, 01:34 PM   #58
223 shooter

Quote:
If you had 800-1000 give or take a few, what 1911 would you buy and why?
I went with a Springfield Range Officer.

Why? Had all the features I wanted at a good price - $765 last year. As the primary use is target shooting I wanted the adjustable sights. I like my range gun to shoot to the point of aim.

Not a target grade trigger pull at 4.5lbs but shootable enough for now and way better than some 1911s I've fired. The pistol is tight but has been 100% reliable thus far. The accuracy is very good. For my intended use it was an easy choice.
Old September 22, 2012, 06:59 PM   #59
orionengnr

I have seen some pretty good used 1911s in that price range. A used Les Baer (alloy frame) and a used DW CBOB (steel frame) for $1100 each, and two Wilson Combat 1911s (one full-sized steel frame and one Commander sized, alloy frame) for $1000 and $1100 respectively).

A new S&W E-series Scandium is about $1100, and you can find used S&W PD1911s for $700-800.

I consider an alloy framed Commander-sized 1911 to be a very good compromise, and I have a steel framed Commander sized 1911 for range duty.
Old September 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #60
gpjoe

Wow, I never thought I'd see a Colt XSE referred to as a "mall ninja" pistol.

Hi - first post here.

The Colt XSE is a fine pistol. I have a 5-inch blue steel XSE, and a stainless XSE Commander, which I chose for several reasons:

- NO rail (don't want/need one)
- I'm a lefty
- Novak white-dot carry sights
- Lowered/flared ejection port (less mangled brass)

It also has an "enhanced" hammer and three-hole aluminum trigger, beavertail grip safety with "palm swell" which are really non-essential to me but nice upgrades.

No I'm not a Colt fan-boy, nor am I suggesting that the XSE is the best thing ever, it merely works for me. I have also owned other 1911 pistols by Kimber, Sig Sauer, Springfield, and Rock Island Armory. I still have them all except for the Rock Island pistol - it was a GI model and I was having a hard time seeing the front sight but other than that it was a great budget 1911 that was reliable and accurate. Really a great value at just over $400. The only other 1911 I have owned and sold was a stainless steel 1991 Colt Commander. I liked the pistol well enough, but needed an ambi safety and wanted a lowered/flared ejection port. By the time I priced these options with a reputable smith, I was further ahead selling it and getting the XSE Commander.

To the OP:

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the pistols already recommended, be it Colt, Springfield, Sig, Smith & Wesson, STI, Remington, Ruger, etc. My only real piece of advice would be to get the pistol with all of the features that are important to you.
Old September 26, 2012, 08:03 AM   #61
predecessor

Colt or Dan Wesson Heritage
Old September 26, 2012, 11:30 AM   #62
shaunpain

Colt Gold Cup. I've seen 'em around $900. That's my next gun purchase.