The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2012, 07:41 AM   #1
rebs

problems with removing military crimp

I cannot figure what I am doing wrong, I have tried the Hornady primer pocket reamer, a deburing tool, a 3/8th drill bit and still have problems seating a new primer. All these methods appear to remove the military crimp but a lot of the cases still will noit take a new primer. I am using CCI # 400 primers in LC brass. I have done quite a few using the 3/8th drill bit but lately it doesn't seem to be working for me. Can the problem be removing too much brass when removing the crimp ?
I don't do enough to justify buying a dillon or expensive swager and have had read about the RCBS swager being about 50/50 as to who has problems bending the rod and who doesn't.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:53 AM   #2
TMD

I take a deburring tool used for the case mouth and put a little taper in the opening of the primer pocket after I ream it. Right or wrong it seems to work pretty well for me.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

There are tools just for this job.
Put in pocket and a little twist will do ya.
Annoying task but you only have to do it once.
Old September 16, 2012, 08:47 AM   #4
ky hunter

RCBS fixed their problem with a different pin mine works fine. Use it on 5.56x45 when reloading for AR.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:08 AM   #5
reloader28

If you have a 1/2" drive drill, you can chuck the case in the drill and spin it as you ream it with a primer crimp remover. With certain cases this makes it WAY easier. I cant hang on to the case long enough to ream the pockets by hand, so I use the drill.

Also, CCI primers are about the hardest there is. Remington are a lot softer and easier to seat.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:27 AM   #6
rebs

Thanks for the replies.
I found my problem, why didn't I think of it sooner ?
I looked at the shell holder and there was the problem, it was full of crap from lots of reloading and the case was not going all the way in the groove. Thus the case was not properly aligned with the primer arm.
I was thinking it had to be the way I was removing the crimp or not getting all the crimp removed.
I learned a lesson about keeping the press and shell holders clean like I do the dies.
Old September 16, 2012, 09:52 PM   #7
medalguy

I've experienced the same problem with dirt, brass dust, burned powder, etc. Now I keep a 1 inch "chip brush" from the hardware store by the bench and give the shellholder a swipe every 100 cases or so to keep it clean. End of problem.