The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
jimwill48

M9 Magazines

Was at a local flea market this weekend and saw a local army surplus dealerl selling in military packaging M9 magazines. These were a combo metal magazine with a poly base plate and a strange retaining mech built in that looks to keep the magazine from dropping free when being ejected, these were selling for $9.00 each. Anyone else seen these and any scoop on them?
Old September 16, 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
ohen cepel

I have seen many M9 mags over the years but have never seen one with a gadget to keep it in the pistol.

Pic would help run it to ground quickly.

Maybe it was partially taken apart and something was sticking out of it?

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old September 16, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3
USMCGrunt

The second hold on the bottom left hand side of the magazine to allow them work with the old Beretta pistols that had the magazin release in this location. Mainly, the magazines we get in .mil are Checkmate mags (actually, they work better now that the original contract magazines have been weeded out of the system) or factory magazines. However, I have seen a few of these same magazines you mention but not very often. I guess my initial reaction to seeing them is that they may be a COTS purchase but from what vendor, I have no idea. Not too sure how well they work because we tend to shun them like a homosexual leper! Might work, might not but I wouldn't use them as anything more than a range magazine and buy them from a dealer that has a good return policy in the event they don't work.