The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 13, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Denezin

FN FNS-9?

Fn has a new poly pistol that has some neat little features as in fully ambidextrous on every feature such as manual thumb safety, Slide stop and magazine catch release. Any thoughts on it?

http://www.fnherstal.com/index.php?i...id_product=295
Old September 13, 2012, 08:21 AM   #2
tahunua001

the FNS has been out for some time now, at least a year since they posted it on their website. I've done a couple dryfire sessions with it. the ergonomics are good as are the controls. ammo capacity is not bad but not the best anymore either. I haven't heard anything negative about them but that could also be because I rarely see any range reviews on them. to me though, the polymer seems a little cheap in quality compared to an XD or a glock but I'm sure FNH would stand by it if it ever broke.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3
plouffedaddy

I'm waiting to get one until they fix the trigger locking issue. I love FN guns but that's just unacceptable to me. It seems like it could be fixed with a heavier trigger return spring too..? Maybe it's more complex and that's why it's not fixed but who knows....
Old September 13, 2012, 08:48 AM   #4
Denezin

Im just thrilled (And behind on times apparently lol) about the implication of a manual thumb safety (im a heavy 1911 fan owning a good few and carrying them). Now if it were to fit my hand well i believe i would spring for a 9mm version.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:46 AM   #5
Mystro

The FNS and FNX are built for 1911 owners (aka experienced operators that know how to use a gun safty to their advantage.) These are service/combat guns built by a company that makes 80% of the small arms for the military.
You will find the FNX/FNS flat back strap feels much like the 1911. The FNS/FNX 9mm holds 18 rounds in a size of a Glock 19 without a magazine filler sticking out the bottom. They are outstanding guns.

Old September 13, 2012, 12:15 PM   #6
plouffedaddy

Quote:
1911 owners (aka experienced operators that know how to use a gun safty to their advantage.)
Old September 13, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
TunnelRat

Quote:
Quote:
1911 owners (aka experienced operators that know how to use a gun safty to their advantage.)

Lol, yea I saw it too. Not touching that comment with a ten foot pole.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Mystro

Just cant lure you into it can I.....?? This is a little bit of humor our local SWAT uses about a certain brand of guns they prefer not to carry.
Old September 13, 2012, 01:49 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Just cant lure you into it can I.....?? This is a little bit of humor our local SWAT uses about a certain brand of guns they prefer not to carry.
Ah gotcha.

In that case I am with them 100%.

But back to the OP's question. I am a big FN fan. I like a lot of their products. Getting rid of my FNX, which still is the best shooting 40 I've shot, was one of the dumbest things I've done. My experience has been very good with them. I'd feel pretty good about picking one up.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Haha. I find this funny too. It seems like half the ND videos you see on Youtube are are of folks holding 1911s. (The other half are Glock-owners).
Old September 13, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
These are service/combat guns built by a company that makes 80% of the small arms for the military.
what military?
maybe 80% of the Belgian military but not much for anyone else. FNH does make a number of M16s while Remington makes the M4s but there are no militaries that I know of(not to say there aren't some out there) that use their handguns or rifles as general issue.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:44 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
what military?
maybe 80% of the Belgian military but not much for anyone else. FNH does make a number of M16s while Remington makes the M4s but there are no militaries that I know of(not to say there aren't some out there) that use their handguns or rifles as general issue.
Do the M249 and M240B ring a bell ?

If we want to go old school we could bring up the Hi Power, one of the most prolific handguns. It was developed with help from John Browning under contract from FN.

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 13, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:59 PM   #13
tahunua001

Quote:
Do the M249 and M240B ring a bell ?
I didn't realize that vehichle mounted machine guns counted as small arms....or the fact that they are still technically browning products and not FNH.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:32 PM   #14
Mystro

Are you kidding??? Do you have any idea what the military is even using??
How about the SCAR, MK20SSR, M249, P90, etc..to start with. The better question is what doesn't the military use that isn't a FNH. FNH is military arms. They have so much military arms history I thought it was common knowledge. FYI... John Browning and FNH
http://www.fnhusa.com/l/products/military/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Herstal

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0CDMaPxNjI0

THE FN AMERICAN HERITAGE

1897-1926

FN’s unique transatlantic relationship begins in 1897 through its long-standing partnership with John M. Browning, who made 121 trips (61 round-trips) between the U.S. and Europe (Herstal) prior to his death in Belgium in 1926. Through Browning’s collaboration with FN, the company produces legendary products, such as the 7.65 Auto Pistol (1897), the Auto-5 autoloading shotgun (1902), the .30-caliber machine gun (1919), the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR, 1921), and the Hi Power™ auto pistol (1923).

1944-1946

Post World War II:*Once Belgium was liberated from German occupation, FN rebuilds more than two million U.S. small arms from the European Theater of Operation, and resumes manufacturing.

1953-1976

FN produces the GP 35, (an updated edition of the Browning Hi Power™), FAL, FNC and M2HB QCB for the Western world and soon earns the reputation as the “right arm of the free world.” The GP 35 remains the benchmark against which all other 9mm autoloading service pistols are measured. Through this same period, FN also develops the 7.62x51mm cartridge that was approved by NATO in 1957.

1977-1980s

1977:*FN acquires Browning Arms.

1977-1982:*The U.S. military adopts both the FN MINIMI Squad Automatic Weapon (M249) and the FN MAG 58 General Purpose Machine Gun (M240). FN opens FN Manufacturing, LLC, (FNM) in Columbia, SC to build small arms for the U.S. military.

1982:*FN’s SS109, 5.56x45mm caliber cartridge becomes the NATO standard.

1989:*FN becomes The Herstal Group.

1990s

1990:*FN's 5.7x28mm caliber P90® submachine gun is introduced to the military, elite law enforcement and security forces around the globe.

1998: The Herstal Group establishes FNH USA, LLC, to manage U.S. government relations as well as military new business development, marketing, sales and service for law enforcement and commercial markets of FN firearms in the U.S.

The FN 303 Less Lethal Launcher is introduced as the premier less lethal system for law enforcement and is adopted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (2008). In addition, the 303 is put into use by the U.S. Army in multiple units through the fielding of the Rapid Equipping Force (REF).

The FN SPR A3G precision bolt-action rifle becomes available to U.S. law enforcement. It is one of two rifles that were selected by the FBI for its precision tactical rifle program. FN also expands upon the success of the Browning M2 and M3AN with the GAU-21 (M3M) which fires from the open bolt with twice the rate of fire of the M2 and offers the ability to fire at extreme angles.

2004-2008

2004:*The FN Five-seveN® pistol begins service with elite law enforcement and security services around the world.

2007-2008:*FN introduces the large caliber FNP-45 polymer-framed autoloading pistol and the selective-fire FN SCAR® 16 and SCAR® 17 to the U.S. law enforcement market.

2008-2010

2008-2010:*FN develops a family of remotely operated weapon stations capable of providing protective fire when mounted on tactical vehicles and deployed on stationary positions. The FN deFNder™ Light is developed in 2008 and is optimized to handle 7.62x51mm and 5.56x45mm belt-fed machine guns. The FN deFNder™ Medium is developed in 2010 and is designed to mount .50-caliber machine guns and 40mm grenade launchers for deployment on tactical vehicles.

2010:*The FN SCAR®—designated as the MK 16 and MK 17—is operationally deployed around the globe to U.S. special operators and other agencies, along with the MK 13 Grenade Launcher.

TODAY

2011-2012:*FN launches the FNS, a new polymer, striker-fired pistol developed for law enforcement and available to both military and commercial markets. The company also launches the 303P Less Lethal Pistol for military, law enforcement, corrections, and security duty. Additionally, the SCAR® PDW (Personal Defense Weapon) and HAMR (Heat Adaptive Modular Rifle) were developed for the U.S. military.

Last edited by Mystro; September 13, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:52 PM   #15
plouffedaddy

The MK19s we use are FN as well. Just throwing that out there...
Old September 13, 2012, 07:59 PM   #16
tahunua001

I'm still looking for something that says 80%
seriously, the majority of U.S military small arms(no I am not counting browning heavy machine guns as FNH small arms) were, and in most cases still are provided by Colt and Beretta.

worldwide Glock provides more handguns to militaries than FNH so no I do not buy for one second that any military except for maybe the country in which FNH is headquartered in obtains for than 4 fifths of it's small arms from FNH.

yes they make a number of paramilitary weapons and some police and military forces use them in small numbers. I am just trying to point out that there are exaggerations that need to be corrected.

furthermore lets get slightly closer to the topic at hand.

name me one military that has adopted any FNP pistol(not browning) in the last 10 years?
there are none. the FNS, FNX and FNP all have no military track record whatsoever. I could care less if US special forces uses their sub machine guns and some south american guerrilla resistance bought a bunch of 30 year old FALs. show me a common soldier that has had to trust his life to a modern, polymer framed, FN Herstal handgun.

then I will eat my words, until then the FNS is just another decent lineup from a decently respected company.

Last edited by tahunua001; September 13, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
TunnelRat

Quote:
I didn't realize that vehichle mounted machine guns counted as small arms
The M249 and M240B are not only used on vehicles.

Quote:
show me a common soldier that has had to trust his life to a modern, polymer framed, FN Herstal handgun.
So now it has to be a handgun huh? What happened to...

Quote:
but there are no militaries that I know of(not to say there aren't some out there) that use their handguns or rifles as general issue.
There are certainly LMGs in use by our military made by FN. The FN SCAR rifle is in use by certain elements of SOCOM. Now the pistols I'll give you, though they were in the running for the recent pistol trials (of which there was no winner).

As for the 80% figure, well, I never agreed to that.

Last edited by TunnelRat; September 13, 2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 09:43 PM   #18
labhound

I've got the FNS-9. Absolutely one of my favorite 9mm's, very accurate, has Trijicon night sights, excellent grip and texturing, stainless slide, all ambi controls.
Old September 14, 2012, 01:00 AM   #19
Denezin

Im def liking this feedback. The only thing is what is the true group of a 25 yard 5 rounds or all 17 it doesnt matter. Cause i did see a report on a ten yard group of all 17 and it was 2 inchs. Now that is a little disturbing for 9mm poly at 10 yards but the thing is they could be a horrible shot or they wanted to make a big ragged hole and not aim center everytime or well hold it in the same placement on the target.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:31 AM   #20
Gator Weiss

FN makes good stuff. Military or not.

Some guys get so hung up on Glock popularity their ability conduct a review on a handgun becomes more of an opportunity use glock comparisons than to examine a weapon and cite its points using actual needs and accomodations as the criteria. Glock pistols work well. However glock is not the last word on pistols.

The fn is an adequate arm produced by an expert with many accomplishments. The grip in the 9mm appears of a size that it ought to fit large and small hands adequately. Ambidextrous features are absolutely a plus for many reasons that are obvious. Polymer means reduced weight and less metal to rust or corrode. A safety toggle independant of the trigger has its uses and it has its hazards. Operating the slide in combat conditions on some pistols equipped with slide mounted safety levers has sometimes caused safety livers to be bumped into the safe position at a serious moment. The safety on the fn might be ok but we need a trip to the range and about two cases of ammo to do some basic testing on this one.

The pistol definitely rates a second look and there is a high probability the pistol will perform reasonably well. There is no reason to run away from it just because it is not a glock.
Old September 14, 2012, 06:48 AM   #21
Gator Weiss

What is accuracy in most modern pistols?

I have found accuracy in most things on the firearms market as a whole. I have had black powder pistols that threw nice groups. I have shot eastern block pistols that threw nice groups. I have shot cheap striker fired eighty buck pistols that held tight groups. I have a clunky old ruger pistol that is like a brick with a trigger and it shoots a seriously tight group with anything you shoot in it.

I think most accuracy tests in fairly modern pistols of just about any make - if they are not performed with a machine rest - are rather more a test of the shooter ability to handle the weapon effectively. There are shooters out there who claim accuracy problems and believe it rather than consider ability, skill, and overall fit of the weapon to their individual needs and preferences and their personal ergonomics.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:21 AM   #22
tahunua001

I agree with Gator,
just because a range review mentions a 2" group at ten yards does not necessarily mean that those are the best groups it is capable of, many times the accuracy improves over time as the shooter grows accustomed to their new firearm. I personally do not see what is disturbing about a 2 inch group in a service type pistol at 10 yards is when the average distance in self defense situations is around 7 yards and the human heart is usually around a 4" target. throwing 2 inches is still keeping every shot inside center mass so that is nothing to sniff or scoff. at.

as for glock not being the end all, be all, I wholeheartedly agree. I shoot glocks well for some reason but I have never liked them(ergos never agreed with me and their slogan has always struck me a pretentious) and if you offered me a choice between a glock 17 or an FNS I would take the FNS in a heartbeat.
Old September 14, 2012, 08:27 AM   #23
plouffedaddy

Does anyone know if they're working on the trigger locking issue?

For those unfamiliar with the issue, here's a demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2KvmbzfmmI
Old September 14, 2012, 08:28 AM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
didn't realize that vehichle mounted machine guns counted as small arms....or the fact that they are still technically browning products and not FNH.
Huh? The M249 (especially) and M240 are more often found NOT mounted to vehicles.

These firearms are manufactured by FN Manufacturing in Columbia, SC. Browning has nothing to do with them. At this point, "Browning" is just a trade name for a number of FN's commercial products.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:16 PM   #25
tahunua001

even though this keeps circling around the topic of this thread I will continue to defend my points anyway.

here is a link to a picture of a vehicle mounted M240 machine gun.

I will concede on the M249 though. for some reason I was getting it confused with the M2(which is also vehicle mounted).