The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 29, 2012, 02:33 PM   #126
TimW77

"...and the AK wins it period ad the best battle gun period..."

The AK is NOT the best "battle rifle", it is not the worst "battle rifle"...

Fact is, it is NOT a "battle rifle" at all... It is an "assault rifle". There IS a difference!

"Opinion is one thing, but to base an entire argument on the premise of "Well everyone knows it, so there!" is crap."

Thinking that something that is wrong is correct does NOT make it correct. If everyone thinks that something that is wrong is correct only makes everyone wrong...

"The Germans still had a number of FW-200 Condors that possibly could have been modified to carry a bomb."

No way the Condor could handle the load. Too many structural problems with the design.

"The FW 200 was the first airplane to make a non-stop flight between Berlin and New York City (1938)."

But not with a 9,700+ pound bomb...

"Possibly an even more capable German aircraft for that kind of duty was the Junkers Ju 290."

Better yet the Ju 390.

"...and had just enough range to make a round trip flight."

The fallacy here is that it had to reach the US...

It would only have to make a 1 way flight to the UK!

"Then there was the Me 264..."

Also could not make it with the load required...

The Me 264-2/Me 362 (a different airplane in reality) might...

T.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:14 PM   #127
MJ1

;) LOL

Hate to tell you this TimW77 but the AK is not a bolt gun either. I carried a milled factory 26 for three months in 1968 and can't argue with your statement much but the AK also did not serve in WW2.

- David Hackworth -
Old September 30, 2012, 12:34 AM   #128
TimW77

"Hate to tell you this TimW77 but the AK is not a bolt gun either."

MJ1, you might want to take a course in reading COMPREHENSION...

Then REREAD what I wrote. NOWHERE did I say the AK was either a bolt action or served in WW2.

"...but the AK also did not serve in WW2."

Duh, of course not and that is why I did NOT say it was. That is why it is an AK-47, it was developed/adopted in 1947.

Again, if you actually try to comprehend what was written you will see I was responding to post #105 and QUOTED FROM post #105.

"I carried a milled factory 26 for three months in 1968..."

Not impressed, when you have 1/4 the experience of someone such as Kraigwy then try to tell me your "war stories".

T.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:55 AM   #129
krinko

A thread entitled: "VIDEO: Finest Bolt Action Battle Rifle in History?" devolves into a discussion of AK 47s and Messerschmidts and you are worried about MJ's "...reading COMPREHENSION...", Mr. Tim?
I submit to you, sir, that there are better targets for your opprobrium here in this thread, starting with...yeah, you guessed it.
-----krinko

Necessary Enfield Photo:

Old September 30, 2012, 09:48 AM   #130
MJ1

;)

This is a bolt gun Tim.

Have a great day.

..MJ..
- David Hackworth -
Old September 30, 2012, 11:42 AM   #131
Scouse

RC20 - Fair enough, we can agree to disagree, it has been an interesting and enjoyable discussion. I reckon the SMLE was the best bolt action battle rifle, you don't. Nothing you have said has changed my mind, nothing I or we have said has changed yours.

I guess the different ways we look at it comes down to this: I think if you got a bunch of spear enthusiasts together, a discussion of whether the Ethiopians had the best war spears would be a perfectly valid debate - regardless of how fighting the Italians with them went.

Also, I do not recall you saying anything I took as being anti-British (few others had some interesting remarks, mind you) and certainly did not think your views on a particular country coloured your opinions. While I might not agree with your opinions, they are perfectly reasonable.

It has been fun.
Old October 1, 2012, 12:04 PM   #132
MJ1

;) LOL

Shooting my 7.62X51 Enfield. I have only gone past 600 yards once but it was worth the drive as this one really cooks out there.

..MJ..
- David Hackworth -
Old October 7, 2012, 10:53 PM   #133
Ron T. B.

Long ago shooting match Springfield VS Enfield

My dad was a marine stationed aboard a " tin can" in the early '30's. He was on the rifle team and shot in matches against teams from other countries in Central America. He told me of a match against the British. He said the British were good shots, however, when the range got long (I think he said 600 yrds) the Marines started shooting better than their British competetors. My dad attributed the better shooting to the Springfield being superior to the Enfield. As a side note, this match gave my dad a bad impression of the British. Instead of socializing after the match the Brits loaded into their trucks and left. I think the normal course of events was for loosers to buy the beer.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:27 AM   #134
kraigwy

I don't think anyone is disputing the Springfield is a better target rifle then the Enfield. I think the debate is which is faster shooting.

Personally I can shoot the Springfield faster but it looks like I'm in the minority.

Course it may have something to do with the fact that I've shot the Springfield a heck of a lot more.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 10, 2012, 11:43 AM   #135
Scouse

Aye Springfield seems to be widely accepted as the better target rifle (never shot one myself).

Had a few Americans not know when it was their turn to get the ales in too - doesn't inform how I think of a whole nation of people though.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:25 PM   #136
Mike Irwin
Staff

One additional advantage to cock on closing that I don't think has been mentioned...

All of the power of opening the bolt goes to primary extraction.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:51 PM   #137
Ron T. B.

The British

Scouse: you are abslutely right about not drawing conclusions about a nation of people based on the actions of a handfull of people. I should have said it gave my dad a bad impression of the British AT THAT TIME. My parents made at least two trips to Britian and had a wonderfull time both times. They found the British warm, friendly, and welcoming, as did my wife and I.
Old October 11, 2012, 01:26 PM   #138
Scouse

Fair enough - absolutely no disrespect to your Dad intended.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:10 PM   #139
MJ1

;) LOL

I have shot with the British guys at Bisley and I must say in their favor the bar opens at 8 AM. They seemed a fair bunch till we hit a snag in the rules. Note to self: Don't grin when shooting in the mid 40's on the McQeens course for the first time.

Shot some cool rifles met some interesting people and picked up some nice things at the fair.
- David Hackworth -