The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2012, 08:44 PM   #1
ThomasH

A 1000 rounds though my Baers today! ºLº It wasn't easy! (pics) >>>

OMG, It took all day! I got to the range at 10 am and shot without a break until 5 pm!! (Okay, I took a quick nature break at 2 pm, but that was it!) No lunch, only one can of Diet Coke.

Here is the bench at the Pistol Pit where I was shooting. I couldn't get to the real pistol range (25 and 50 yard targets), because they were having a Bowling Pin match.

Click for Big Image

It turned out having 10 extra 8 round magazines, beyond the two 8 round magazines that came with each pistol, worked out beautifully. I could open up a box of 100 rounds, load the two that came with the pistol, then the other ten and have just 4 rounds left over. After shooting all the loaded magazines I would put the remaining four in one of the Les Baer mags, and that 100 would be done! I'm very glad I brought my Uplula loader, it made the whole thing easier, faster and the ammo was always seated well in the magazines.

Here is a view of the pistol pit and the targets, along with my brass catcher. The brass catcher is a bit finicky, you have to find the perfect spot, but it saves a lot of bending over and searching. I shot 1000 rounds today and recovered every single piece of brass!

The right target is where I was shooting the Premier II, and the left target was for the Monolith. I would shoot 100 rounds with each gun, then run a wet patch through the barrels, then a dry patch, re-oil the slides with CLP and start on the next 200 rounds.

So, 7 hours after I started, I was finally done! 500 rounds through each pistol. No problems, no failures to eject or fire or problems going into battery. No failures to lockback on an empty magazine, and virtually no other problems. I was "riding the safety" which I found very comfortable and which allowed me to have some "dynamic tension" between my right thumb pushing down and the index finger of my left hand pushing up on the trigger guard.

On my Premier II, after round 403, with a Les Baer magazine, I did have one premature lockback, after the third round of the magazine, but I was getting a bit punchy by then and it may have been my fault.

Here is a bench shot after 1000 rounds downrange, with all the brass tucked away in their original boxes.

Click for Big Image

And finally here are the targets. I've never shot 500 round groups before!! The Premier II was pretty much dead on at this 15 yard range (okay maybe a touch high), with a six o'clock hold on the 1 inch bullseye. I'm hope the club wont be mad at me, for chewing out the center of the target frame!!

And here is the Monolith target, it was shooting low and slightly left, but it seemed like the trigger on the Monolith was easier to shot with than the trigger on the Premier II. Like it was smoother or something. That makes two target frames with chewed out centers!!

Wow, that was harder to do than I thought it would be. I kept shooting the grips loose on the Premier II. I had to tighten them after every 100 rounds. The ones on the Monolith never got loose. The checkered grips and frame checkering start to get rough after the first 400 rounds, so I wore my "shotgun gloves" and that felt better.

One odd thing I noticed, I don't think I have shot a weapon before where the trigger moves straight back!?! It took me a long while to notice it, but I was trying to move the trigger in a small arc, which is how every other trigger I've every pulled works. Once I realized this and started to pull straight back, the triggers seems much better, lighter and more consistent. Weird!

I hope you enjoyed the pictures!

- Thomas

P.S. Cudos to Federal, for the excellant packaging of their 100 round bulk pack! Instead of a jumble of loose cartridges that can dent each other, these were nicely laid side by side. Some of the boxes I bought from Walmart looked banged up and damaged, but the ammo inside all looked just fine! Well done Federal!

Old September 9, 2012, 08:56 PM   #2
CWKahrFan

Warms my heart Thomas...

IF THE SHOE FITS, WEAR IT!... IF THE GUN FITS, SHOOT IT!
Old September 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #3
farmerboy

Those targets look just like my targets at the 5o yard line using my Glock
Old September 9, 2012, 09:09 PM   #4
stephen426

Wow... 1,000 rounds??? With ammo proces these days, I feel bad going through a few hundred at the range! I must say I'm a bit jealous too! 2 Les Baers??? I have a Thunder Ranch Special that I bought used at a gun show and that gun is just amazing. I was thinking about buying the concept V which is their stainless steel version. My collection is pretty diverse though and I try not to get too many of the same type of guns. The only exception is 2 Sig P210s. The first one I got was the 50th Anniversary Edition. I couldn't bring myself to shoot it so I bought a pre-owned one.

By the way, did you notice yourself getting a little shaky as the day went on? I can't believe you shot for 7 hours straight without eating anything! My hands would be trembling after a few hours. My groups are always a lot tighter when I'm not hungry.

It sounds like you had a great day. Les Baer makes some amazing guns. enjoy them! I would buy more but my wife will probably shoot me with them!
Old September 9, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
farmerboy

I guess I would have used that much ammo over about two or three months. I would have practiced at different ranges and made up different scenarios. It would be hard for me to see how this makes you a better shot or practice on fundamentals or on areas that you need help with. One handed, weak hand, etc, etc, etc. but glad you enjoyed yourself. You got some fine guns there.
Old September 9, 2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Officer's Match

That's the way to break 'em in. Sounds like a great day IMHO.
Old September 9, 2012, 10:15 PM   #7
plouffedaddy

Very nice. Thanks for sharing the results!
Old September 9, 2012, 11:29 PM   #8
123kiwi

You boys in the US don't know how lucky you are!! Awesome!
Old September 10, 2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Father Time

And yet all you hear on the interwebz is about how unreliable those expensive 1911's are.

Nice work.
Old September 10, 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
James K
Staff

I have never said expensive guns are unreliable. I have said that cost is no guarantee of reliability and that reliability can be achieved without buying expensive guns.

Jim
Old September 10, 2012, 03:17 PM   #11
Skadoosh

Nice. But how does it shoot with your "carry ammo" of choice?
Old September 10, 2012, 04:53 PM   #12
MonsterB

Quote:
I have never said expensive guns are unreliable. I have said that cost is no guarantee of reliability and that reliability can be achieved without buying expensive guns.

Jim
What does that have to do with this thread? Just wondering
Dude, just happened to give a positive review of some highend firearms, I dont think he ever said that expensive guns are unreliable. Cheap guns can be reliable, but that doesnt make them as good as a higher end gun that is also reliable. My slingshot is also pretty reliable, by the way.
Old September 10, 2012, 05:55 PM   #13
CDW4ME

Good write up!
Old September 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #14
vyse.04

Quote:
What does that have to do with this thread? Just wondering
That post was in response to another comment. I bet that was a fun day at the range. I usually only get a few hours in when I shoot... Half of that is cost and the other half are random errands that come up when I plan on going to the range.
Old September 10, 2012, 07:25 PM   #15
BGutzman

Trigger as smooth as silk like I hear? What a investment, thanks for sharing!
Old September 10, 2012, 08:53 PM   #16
poortrader

Got to love them "Baers"!!!

NRA Life Member
Old September 10, 2012, 09:02 PM   #17
jfrey

Did the trigger smooth out after the 500 rounds? I got a Baer Boss.45 yesterday and Wes told me today to shoot it 300 to 500 rounds and the trigger would lighten up some and get smoother. Just wondering how much. Those Baers are good guns.
Old September 11, 2012, 06:01 AM   #18
mes228

Monolith

I believe you will find the Monolith will become your favorite 1911. I own and have owned, 1911's that cost MUCH more. But none were "better" in any way than the Mono Heavy. It still remains the easiest to shoot accurately, the most pleasant, one of the most reliable. Truly a great 1911 that is very much under appreciated. Nothing is better that I've owned. And I've owned Yost, Cyl. & Slide, Clarke, Spring. Professional, Custom 10X, and many others that don't jump to mind. Also many standards ie Colt, Springfield, Smith etc.etc. None were better 1911's. I hope yours is as good as mine.
Old September 11, 2012, 08:40 AM   #19
gunluver

Quote:
I guess I would have used that much ammo over about two or three months. I would have practiced at different ranges and made up different scenarios. It would be hard for me to see how this makes you a better shot or practice on fundamentals or on areas that you need help with. One handed, weak hand, etc, etc, etc. but glad you enjoyed yourself. You got some fine guns there.

I know exactly why (I bet) he shot 500 rounds through each gun. Les Baer recommends you shoot 500 rounds through his 1911's before your first field strip. Something about the hard fit way they are built and it helping lap the slide in (or something like that). Now they are both broken in properly and can be taken apart and cleaned properly.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:39 AM   #20
farmerboy

I'm sure every gun when new will be better lapped in after 500 rds. That's fine too and is ok as long as the gun company will donate you 500 rds to do this.
Old September 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #21
vba

I have a Baer Monolith and Concept V (stainless Premier II) that are great shooters. As a matter of fact I just took out my Monolith last Saturday for it's virgin shoot. Only shot 150 rounds and no malfunctions of any kind.

The Concept V is an older Baer and has several thousand rounds with narry a problem. Good guns, nice review!
Old September 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Don P

Quote:
Wow... 1,000 rounds??? With ammo proces these days, I feel bad going through a few hundred at the range! 2 Les Baers???
If ya can afford 2 Les Baers then the 1k of ammo shouldn't be a problem As they say a drop in the bucket
Old September 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #23
dgludwig

Thanks for the interesting test report and photos, ThomasH.

Quote:
I shot 1000 rounds today and recovered every single piece of brass!

Now that's the most amazing part of your report! I don't think I've ever shot fifty rounds and got all of the brass back (and that's when using a tarp to catch most of them). For me, looking for spent cartridges is a lot like hunting for camoflaged Easter eggs or morel mushrooms at night. I've always thought a major ammunition maker could make a small fortune by offering brass with a blaze orange coating. I'd buy them for sure.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:53 PM   #24
golfnutrlv

Are you giving away the brass???
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:59 PM   #25
TheSILENTtype

I was going to say ' pics or it didn't happen ' for the first time in my life, which i was pretty excited about.

It seems you demolished my dreams..for now.