The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1
wpsdlrg
Senior Member
 
Join Date: August 18, 2009
Posts: 452
Sig Sauer P250 steel guide rod

I bought a P250, to compliment my Stoeger 8000L. Quite different pistols, same cartridge (9mm).

Upon close examination, the only thing about the Sig that did not evoke confidence was the plastic guide rod. I don't mind polymer in pistols - I used to be dead set against them - but I have learned a lot lately. Polymer frames, properly made, are OK with me now. However, I draw the line at polymer operating parts - parts that, if they fail, could/would cause the pistol to be non-functional.

Anyway, one look at the plastic guide rod made me think that this had to go. Especially since they are a known point of complaint with this pistol. Sig apparently has taken to supplying steel P229 guide rods and springs (which work in the P250) as replacements if someone reports a broken plastic guide rod. If it were up to most people (including me), Sig would just ship the pistol with the P229 rod in the first place. But, they don't.

I decided that it would be easy to make my own steel guide rod for this gun - so that is what I did. I used a 1/4" x 4" grade 8 bolt from the local home centre (the type that has only about 1" or so threaded)... and a nylon washer. Total cost: $1.37.

The process is ridiculously simple. I started by test- fitting the steel bolt, to make sure it would work. No problems - I could have used it without ANY changes, even with it sticking out of the front of the slide (1.5 - 2"). But, that wouldn't do.

So, I first filed off the raised markings on the bolt head, to make a nice, flat surface to ride against the barrel lug. Then, I rounded off the corners of the bolt head. It was not necessary to make the bolt head completely round - in fact, it didn't need alteration at all. I just did this because I felt like it. Next, I installed the bolt into the gun, with the stock recoil spring and marked where it should be cut. I then removed it and cut it to length with a Dremel. I filed the end and rounded it. Next, I polished the entire bolt with sandpaper, working from 220 grit to 1200 grit, to get rid of any file marks and smooth the surface, to ensure smooth operation. Finally, I blued the rod.

To ensure that the rod would stay centred in the hole in the slide...and thus keep the recoil spring centred, I used a nylon washer. I found a size, at the home centre, that had a centre hole that was perfect (a little larger than the rod). The overall diameter was too large to fit in the spring well in the slide - but that I cured in 5 minutes, with a sharp pair of scissors.

That's it. EASY as could be.....costs almost nothing....and took about an hour. Oh and it DOES function perfectly - and will probably outlast the gun.



Pics below:

Pic 1: The final product, installed in the gun.
Pic 2: The new steel rod.....as you can see, it still resembles a bolt.
Pic 3: The new steel rod and the old plastic one - the steel one is below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012_09_10_17_49_34_593.jpg (236.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_09_10_17_52_52_784.jpg (227.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 2012_09_10_17_52_35_981.jpg (221.0 KB, 20 views)
wpsdlrg is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2014 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent: thefiringline.com
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.06194 seconds with 8 queries