The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 22, 2012, 09:34 AM   #51
Edward429451

Mythbusters should debunk that. I think a heavy hardcast would be fine against zombies, and werewolves. we don't need any stinking silver boolits.
Old September 22, 2012, 09:50 AM   #52
larryh1108

I think the OP was asking where this zombie stuff came from. I used to wonder the same since my hair is turning grey and thinning some.

I believe that this zombie craze came about from a few zombie b-movies as well as many popular shoot-em-up video games that had zombies as the bad guys. This generation then got old enough to buy guns and go shoot them for real and since they grew up shooting zombies on their video games, the transition was natural for some marketing companies to cash in on it. If you don't like this zombie stuff you can blame video games. Me? I don't buy any zombie ammo because it just costs more. Why waste the money?
Old September 24, 2012, 08:34 AM   #53
Edward429451

I hate zombie movies. But if Jaime Lee Curtis is in them then and only then will I watch it. I can even turn down the sound and it's even better.
Old September 24, 2012, 09:26 AM   #54
PT-92

Quote:
Edward429451

I hate zombie movies. But if Jaime Lee Curtis is in them then and only then will I watch it. I can even turn down the sound and it's even better...
I'm not a big movie-buff but I do like the "seasonal Halloween" horror flicks. That said, I did not know JLC made zombie flicks (I know she did the classic Carpenter Halloween films)? I gotta tell ya though, that JLC scene in True Lies certainly requires "no sound" .
Old September 24, 2012, 10:53 AM   #55
arch308

I don't really care for the zombie crap myself. I see it as childish and silly, like the video war games that are intended for "mature" players. But it is a free country and if others enjoy the stuff and use it responsibly I see no real harm.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:19 AM   #56
Chuckusaret

Zombie ammo? Just the same as any other catchy names like Black Talons. Black Talons are nothing more than the Ranger SXT with Winchester's proprietary Lubalox oxide coating, but presently sell for $90 to $100 on the gun auction sites. And let's not forget they got the name "Cop Killers" by the anti gunners. IMO it is just another way to get your $$$$$$$$$$'s.
Old September 24, 2012, 11:40 AM   #57
windshear

My take: "Zombies" is a codeword for dangerous groups of individuals with questionable thinking ability (and murderous intent) who it is politically incorrect to name.

Last edited by windshear; September 24, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old September 27, 2012, 03:25 PM   #58
goredsox

Serendipity... I happened to send a note to Nosler today, critical of their Varmaggedon marketing campaign (look at their website front-page per Varmageddon) -- as a highly respectable company with high-quality products I suggested it to be a misdirected unethical portrayal of Varmint/Predator hunting at best, or suggestion of desire for species eradication at worst. Not only were my hunting ethics challenged, but I think it gives undesirable ammunition (unintended pun) to the gun/hunting Anti's.

As with Nosler, I think Hornady's Zombie-max ammunition can too easily be cited by the Antis (especially given the apparent sales volumes) to suggest that many gun owners are not conscientious shooting sports enthusiasts or responsible gun-owner truly concerned with self-defense.

Maybe I think too much about these things lately because I have two young boys I'm trying to teach the ethics and responsibilities of hunting and shooting, however, I'm glad to read that many of you share my concerns.
Old September 27, 2012, 05:43 PM   #59
Edward429451

Quote:
I did not know JLC made zombie flicks
You're right, I stand corrected! I think I just sub-consciously threw Zombie flicks in with Horror movies in my mind because I don't like Horror movies either and see them all the same, it's JLC that stands out