The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Helldrake

Sig P250 .45 Compact VS Springfield XD .45 Compact

Hey guys I'm new to the forum been reading and taking tips from it for some time, but finally decided to sign up!!

Well I am looking for a new ccw and I finally came to these two models, they are both affordable (the Sig being more so the the XD) and the Sig has the whole modular thing going on that I can buy other calibers and sizes as time goes. And the XD has a set of gear that comes with it, but as far as ergonomics, design, recoil, and just overall usefulness.. Which one do you guys think is better and why?
"They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That’s how Dad did it, that’s how America does it, and it’s worked out pretty well so far" Tony Stark
Old September 11, 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Technosavant

The guns look similar but their operation is quite different.

The XD is striker fired and essentially single action- it will have a rather shorter and lighter trigger pull than the P250, making it easier to shoot well for many semiauto shooters. The grip safety means you have to have a firing grip in order for the gun to shoot. The trigger safety can feel weird, but plenty of people are used to such things.

The P250 is hammer fired and double action only- while the trigger pull is fairly light for a DAO, it is long with a long reset. There are no safeties beyond that trigger pull. If you are coming from other semiautos, the trigger will feel bizarre; if you have revolver experience you will probably quite like it (it's smooth and light, but long- not unlike a VERY nice DA wheelgun pull).

IMO, either gun will serve you very well. Magazines will be cheaper for the XD than for the P250... the only maker for the P250 mags is Sig, and Sig is proud of them. $40-50 is pretty normal. Conversion kits run about $300 or so (they come with one mag). Swapping between the kits is very simple and quick.

I own a few P250s, but not an XD... the XD is a fine gun, I just went another direction. The early P250s seemed to have some issues, but I've yet to read about any issues with the current generation that's been in production for a few years. The main complaint from many shooters is the trigger- that is a personal preference issue. As I said, if you're used to Glocks, XDs, or other semiautos with a short trigger pull you may not like it. If you have revolver experience you're likely to quite like it. It takes more practice to shoot it well but it is a rather accurate little gun. If you are thinking you don't like the P250 trigger pull, you may also wish to look into the SP2022... it's about the same size as the P250 Compact but with a more traditional Sig SA/DA trigger.

I'd try to shoot them both (at the very least, dry fire before making your decision) if you can find them as loaners or rentals and make your decision that way. It's hard to make a bad choice between those two.*

* Not that these are the only two good guns on the market; there's many fine ones, but you're just asking about these two, and both are very good.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:15 AM   #3
Helldrake

Thank you very much Technosavant
I own a Sig Pro in 9mm, which I love, and its why I was leaning towards the 250 for my pocket cannon.. But I am worried about the DOA.. It was my gf that is really for the XD and I do like it. I've held it, it feels solid I have to go and see a P250/dry fire it.. there is that bit of brand loyalty as well if you know what I mean.
If you had to throw one more compact .45 under $600.00 in to the mix what would you suggest?
"They say that the best weapon is the one you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once. That’s how Dad did it, that’s how America does it, and it’s worked out pretty well so far" Tony Stark
Old September 11, 2012, 01:02 PM   #4
Mercenary

I'd throw in the M&P 45c to the mix.