The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 2, 2007, 05:20 PM   #1
mnlitig8r

Hi-Viz Sights for Ruger Mark III

I have a Ruger Mark III with a 5-1/2" bull barrel and the adjustable rear sight. I'm thinking of switching to the HiViz fiber optic sights in order because the sight picture with what I have is difficult to work with is low (or even medium) light settings.

Anybody have thoughts - good, bad or otherwise - about this? Also, I see that the Ruger model with the HiViz sight standard comes with a v-notch rear sight. Would it be advisable to swap out the rear sight to this type of rear sight? Unfortunately for me, I didn't read my owner's manual very thoroughly and thought I could laterally adjust the rear sight by gently tapping on it with a mallet. Seems that's just for the fixed rear sights, not the adjustable, which adjust by merely turning a screw. I broke the rear sight blade and have no idea if that piece can simply be replaced. (Stupid me!)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 2, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
JWT

I made just the change you're talking about on my Mark III stainelss target model with the slab sided barrel.

Ordered the sights from Ruger and found it wasn't too difficult to change for the ones that came on the gun (good directions included and also covered in the owners manual as I recall) . Changing out the blade on the rear sight is a bit tricky, but if you follow the instructions and look at the drawings it's not bad. Hardest part is getting the set screw and spring back into place...

Kept the originals in case I ever want to change back.

I've been happy with the results. I can see the HiViz front sight much better than the original sight and the V rear works fine for me too.
Old September 2, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
mnlitig8r

Thanks for sharing your experience with me. I saw that Ruger offers the set with the Hi-Viz front sight and the notch for the rear sight. I gather that Ruger just sends the blade, and that it fits in the existing rear sight, correct? That would be a perfect solution since I broke the rear sight blade that I currently have.

You mentioned that you ordered directly from Ruger. How quickly did you receive the set? I'm wanting to get the gun set for a Boys Weekend two weeks from this past Friday. Did Ruger ship out in a timely manner?

Thanks again for the valuable insight.
Old September 2, 2007, 07:39 PM   #4
JWT

As I recall I had the sight in less than a week. It was shipped from the Ruger facility in Prescot, AZ so didn't have far to go to get to Tucson.

The blade is what was provided for the rear sight. It goes 'in' by removing a small set screw and spring, inserting the blade, and replacing the spring and screw. Requires some manual dexterity, but not difficult.
Old September 3, 2007, 02:03 AM   #5
red-rider

I have a mkIII target model. I have been wanting to swap out the v-notch rear for a standard notch blade. The v-notch works, but I can seem to warm up to it, I think I would be more comfortable with a traditional sight picture.
Old September 3, 2007, 07:45 AM   #6
gopack

I have the MKIII Hunter with the HI-Viz sights. They work very well. Like any sight you have to "learn" how to use it. Been thinking about trying the standard target sights or getting millet sights. Have the MKIII 22/45 and some days I like those sights better than the Hi-Viz and some days I don't.
Old September 3, 2007, 08:19 AM   #7
Bullseye57

Here's another set of instructions http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245de...htm#sightblade

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

Old September 3, 2007, 11:46 PM   #8
herbie1

Other Mark II & III alternatives

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=318

http://www.chuckhawks.com/sight_improvements.htm
Old September 4, 2007, 09:08 AM   #9
MADISON

Hi-Viz for a MK-III

Several years ago I bought a Hi-Viz for my MK-II from www.midwayusa.com for $25.00.
Old September 4, 2007, 03:16 PM   #10
dajowi

I also have a MK III with 5.5" bull barrel. I switched out the front sight for the Ruger Hi-Viz but kept the original rear sight. It shot dead on right out of the box and continues to do so with the new front sight. Having three different diameter light pipes and two colour options avaible makes the Ruger supplied kit exceptional.
Old September 4, 2007, 10:03 PM   #11
mnlitig8r

I ordered the Ruger HiViz set which comes with the v-notch rear sight blade. I need to replace the rear sight blade in any instance because I broke the one that's on the gun at present. I have a tendency to mess up what should be simple projects (evidenced by my breaking the existing sight blade).

Would it be smart to have a gunsmith install the rear sight blade or is it something hard to mess up provided I am patient and actually read the directions?
Old September 4, 2007, 11:10 PM   #12
JWT

You shouldn't need a gunsmith. You will need a small flat blade screwdrive and a bit of patience. Read the directions, look at the site Bullseye57 referrenced on his post, and you should be fine.
Old September 10, 2012, 04:01 PM   #13
VanSant1

Thanks Bullseye57, this was great! Installed my rear sight with no issues