The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
80viking

Sig 250 mag

Does a Sig 250 compact 9mm use the same mag that is used by any other Sig model?

Thanks, John
Old September 8, 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
wpsdlrg

No. I just bought a P250c today....and found through direct experience that NO other Sig mags fit (we tried every Sig magazine in the store). That jibes with what I had already read on the net, as well.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

The short answer is no. The full size magazine for the P250 will function in the compact. You can get a kit to make the full size magazine look better when used in the compact. I have found the .40/.357 magazines will also work in the 9 mm. The other P series magazines won't work in the P250.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
TennJed

Will a.full size 45 may work in the.compact 45?
Old September 9, 2012, 01:27 AM   #5
80viking

A friend has a p250c and it only came with one mag. Is that normal when you buy a new Sig? He just ordered one from CTD it was $50. I thought I could do better than that from Brownells but there was not even a listing for a p250. I assume aftermarket has not made these yet?

John
Old September 9, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
Misssissippi Dave

The P250 only comes with one magazine. The .45 full size magazine will work in the compact and probably the sub compact as well. The magazine will stick out the grip. The difference between full size and compact is only one round. I found probably the best price on magazines is for the orig. owner to register their pistol with Sig (I do it on line) then call them to see about getting additional magazines with a discount. They have been giving discounts on magazines, grips and kits when you ask for it. Orders over $100 will get you free shipping.

When I take the 9 mm compact to the range I take along the 9 mm full size magazine and the compact .40/.357 magazine so I will have plenty to use. I also have a .45 full size and compact kits. If I take the compact I also bring the full size magazine to give me two magazines to shoot.

All the kits do come with night sights.
Old September 10, 2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Technosavant

Just to sum up a few things:

1) You can use any of the larger capacity magazines in the smaller P250 sized. A full size mag will work fine in a compact or subcompact of the same caliber. You can get an X-grip adapter to cover the resulting gap for a magazine of the next larger size (so the full size feels right in the compact and the compact in the subcompact), but there's no adapters to jump two frame sizes. The X-grip can be purchased from Midway USA, but unless you already have the magazine you wish to use, you're better off just buying the mag and adapter together from Sig.

2) I've not seen any aftermarket mags for the P250. So while it is normal to get only one magazine with the pistol, you're stuck paying Sig prices for additional ones.

3) Do make sure you match your magazine to the frame generation. Sig redid the grip frames and there's both "old style" and "new style" magazines out there. The change was made a while back, so I wouldn't anticipate running into a new old stock "old style" frame. If I did end up with one, I'd probably just get the new grip frame and new mags from Sig... I have a suspicion that the design change was made to address the reliability concerns from the early examples.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:18 PM   #8
wpsdlrg

"3) Do make sure you match your magazine to the frame generation. Sig redid the grip frames and there's both "old style" and "new style" magazines out there. The change was made a while back, so I wouldn't anticipate running into a new old stock "old style" frame."

Just to clarify. Sig made the grip frame changes in 2009. However, the magazine compatibility issue is not quite as it may seem. The grip frame changes included changing the profile of the BOTTOM of the frame, at the mag well. The NEW style mags are different ONLY in terms of the FLOOR PLATE. The magazine bodies are the SAME, new and old. The followers, springs and retainer plates are the same. The old floor plates won't work with the new grip frame....and vice versa. However, the floor plates can be switched. Also, the longer (higher capacity) mags of either style WILL work in a shorter grip. For example, a FULL SIZE mag (new or old) will work in a (new or old) subcompact, etc. etc. - because the floor plate doesn't interfere with the mag (doesn't contact the bottom of the grip, in this example).

Unfortunately, though, it seems that Sig does NOT supply the magazine floor plates separately. If they did, then interchanging P250 mags would be easy.

When you order a new P250 mag from SIG, the mag comes with BOTH old and new style floor plates.

It MAY be possible, as well, to modify the old style floor plates to work with the new style grip frames. I don't know yet, but I plan to check into this. My LGS (where I just did buy my new P250c Saturday), had plenty of OLD-style mags on hand, but NO new ones. The dealer was not aware of the change - and they were upset that they couldn't provide me with an additional mag. So, they are ordering new ones. If I find that I CAN modify the old style, I may just try to work out a deal to buy all or most of their old stock.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Technosavant

Quote:
The NEW style mags are different ONLY in terms of the FLOOR PLATE.
Interesting. I'd noticed the floor plate difference, but didn't know that was the only difference.

I wonder what all they changed then- it wasn't the angle of the magazine or anything like that.

Either way, it seems to work fine now.
Old September 11, 2012, 10:54 PM   #10
wpsdlrg

The changes were mostly, but not entirely, cosmetic. The profile of the BOTTOM of the grip...and thus the mag floor plate, the location of the "Sig Sauer" script on the side of the grip, a change from ribbing to stippling on the FRONT and BACK of the grip.....and thickening the polymer material of which the frame is made - in a few key areas. That's it, as far as I know.