The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 18, 2012, 01:11 PM   #51
Edward429451

We're conditioned to like guns. They start it by making us watch Elmer Fudd chase the Rabbit with a gun, and every action movie has the hero who has his stash of weaponry. It is curious though, that when the action movie hero has hidden guns, he is cheered on for being smart and prepared, yet if a citizen does, or carries around his home, he's alluded to being paranoid and unstable.

This is a dangerous planet. At this time, the world is currently going insane and in the United States in particular. Our Government is currently waging war against it's citizens trying to usher in a Police State. The criminals are almost totally unchecked here, because that serves their purpose for hastening. Everyone is trigger happy here. Who wouldn't want to carry a gun? lol.
Old September 18, 2012, 08:52 PM   #52
tet4

Manta, I have family in northern Ireland so I know a little about how it was and is. What most people that don't live in the USA fail to grasp is that in many areas in the us the crime rate is held very low precisely because most homes are armed and criminals run a very real risk of getting shot. Sure, some people may go a little overboard, but it's the culture of self reliance and protection that make many places so crime free. I mean, the places where the crime is worst in the us is where firearms are prohibited or severely restricted.

It's a different culture but the root isn't fear, it's self reliance.
Old September 18, 2012, 09:37 PM   #53
wayneinFL

Quote:
It's a different culture but the root isn't fear, it's self reliance.
I agree 100%. I think that's the main point manta's missing here.

As far as firearms restrictions vs. crime rates go- I see little correlation either way. Indianapolis has a low violent crime rate, lots of guns. Chicago has lots of restrictions and a high crime rate. But New Orleans has one of the highest murder rates in the country, and very loose restrictions on firearms.
Old September 18, 2012, 10:02 PM   #54
Tinner666

Ireland seems to have 'faction' issues.
Here, we have major underlying drug issues driving gangs into faction issues, and turning individuals into animals.
What I'm saying is that crime seems to have no relationship to gun ownership.
That said, I can't wait for a cop to come around a corner if I'm cornered by one of the animals.
Old September 19, 2012, 02:21 PM   #55
Beagle45ACP

Quote:
Some times i think some get a bit carried away
That phrase doesn't even exist in most gun enthusiasts' vocabularies.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:55 AM   #56
vito

I would guess that most of those reading this forum keep a loaded gun in their home, reasonably accessible, for home defense. I frequently have grandchildren at my home, so my home defense gun is in a GunVault, which I consider a reasonable compromise between safety and accessibiltiy. But as much as I like guns, and feel it is prudent to be prepared, I do think it a bit odd when I read here about someone who keeps one or more guns in every room of the house, who wears a holstered gun at all times within their home, or who lives each moment in anticipation of a horde of thugs breaking through their front door. Personally I would not live somewhere where I could not legally possess a firearm for my personal and family protection, but I don't live my daily life in deathly fear or anticipation of a life and death battle at any moment.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:46 PM   #57
youngunz4life

vito. I understand your point. that being said, is there any reason why you don't feel comfortable having a handgun out of the gunvault when the grandkids aren't visiting? //example: knowing they are coming tomorrow so locking it up at bedtime(I'm guessing the vault is in master bedroom)//
Old September 24, 2012, 08:56 PM   #58
vito

The risks of forgetting to lock it up just one time are too great to take a chance. The GunVault gives me peace of mind.
Old September 25, 2012, 01:06 AM   #59
youngunz4life

vito, I am with you partially on that. I don't wait for the mrng as an example to lock it up(or sometimes both of them up if I have two revolvers out). I do it the day before. If you can't remember that is understandable. Also, some people might have a handgun out and then go take a nap or go to sleep without bothering to bring the handgun from the family room to the bedroom with them as an example. This is a little pointless, as now if there is a burglary or other scenario you might be worse for the wear and double whammied(actually providing a firearm to assialant/burglar without having a HD weapon near you possibly).

That being said, I meant to mention in my original posting to you when you did make some at least possible valid points....if you ever knew someone close or heaven for bid went thru a dire situation, you might very well change your viewpoints on this topic. Better to be safe than sorry(which is an oxymoron here because that is what in essence you are doing). There really is no wrong answer, but maybe you can little by little just have it out for a night if they are gone for a week as a starter or something. I found it like an alarm in the house which I love. It is good to know you have that securtity just in case while watching that late-night movie or whatever else is on the tube. //all the best, gunz//

ps- I have found it is pretty easy to remember, so I figure the same would probably be the same for you since you are proactive about gun safety, safes, etc which I am. My friend grew up in KY; it is normal for him to do the counter drawer thing...this doesn't work for me, but it is a persoanl decision on the gun owner as long as they take responsibility for the weapon(s) andor their actions...
Old September 25, 2012, 06:59 PM   #60
vito

To youngguns4life: You make some goods points, but another factor in my case is my wife. Despite being married to me for for over 40 years she has never wavered in her dislike of guns. Leaving an unlocked gun in the house, even when no one but the two of us are home, would leave to endless problems. So to keep peace in my home, I again fall back on the compromise of using a finger-keypad GunVault for a home defense weapon, plus a decent home security alarm system.
Old September 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #61
FAS1

Quote:
I understand your point. that being said, is there any reason why you don't feel comfortable having a handgun out of the gunvault when the grandkids aren't visiting? //example: knowing they are coming tomorrow so locking it up at bedtime(I'm guessing the vault is in master bedroom)
My kids are grown and gone but I have friends and family with kids that can stop by anytime. My dedicated HD gun is always in my handgun safe mounted to my bed frame. I never have to think where it is when pest control, cleaning service, or someone else comes over. Chances are, if I need a gun at home it will be in the middle of the night.

Plus, I always pocket carry a P3AT around the house so I don't feel the need to have any guns laying around or accessible to anyone. Like Vito said, it only takes once for your life (and others) to change.

FAS1 SAFE, LLC
Old September 26, 2012, 08:02 AM   #62
Sparks1957

Quote:
It's a different culture but the root isn't fear, it's self reliance
That's my attitude about guns. I don't want to have to depend on others for protection, any more than I would want to be totally dependent on others for food or other necessities.

If I need to, I can go and hunt for dinner. I can stay warm with my woodstove, and I can protect myself if my family or I am threatened.

It's a deeply held part of our culture for most native Vermonters.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:44 AM   #63
MLeake

I started carrying several years ago because I came to the conclusion that a right, not exercised, will not remain a right for long.

Supporting that conclusion, look at the political impact the fact of over 8 million concealed permit holders has had on recent gun debates.

Of course, the fact that family members and friends had used firearms in self defense also had some influence on my decision.

Self-reliance was what made our country great. Reliance on the nanny state by so many is what is now weakening us.
Old September 26, 2012, 02:51 PM   #64
youngunz4life

it is a blessing more and more americans are 'getting it' and exercising their right to carry (and take the responsibility to be ready to defend themselves and their family in some form or another).
Old September 26, 2012, 03:09 PM   #65
K_Mac

Quote:
The police have information on every individual in N Ireland. Intelligence on who is in the groups from informers and other sources is used when someone applies for a firearms certificate. Some will get trough but very few.
And that Manta is a frightening thought to most Americans. The implication is that the government will use this information in the best interest of all its people. I love my country and our system of government, BUT any government, by its nature, can and will abuse its power unless it has to answer to those it would control. Our founding fathers knew this only too well. It is the reason our Second Amendment is foundational to our way of life. When I say we take our right to keep and bear arms seriously it is not just talk. It is a part of who we are.

Yes, some may get a little over the top in their attempt to protect against all threats, real and imagined. Within the confines of the law, so what? Over the top is also a very American thing.

"If you let "need" be a requirement and Government be the arbiter of that "need", then Liberty is as dead as King Tut." Jimbob86

Last edited by K_Mac; September 30, 2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: spelling