The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 9, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Prof Young

Henry Golden 45 colt getting tighter groups

Shooters:

Took the Henry 45 colt to the range yesterday and shot at fifty yards with a scope on the gun. Had only shot at 25 yards before. Once I got it on the paper and adjusted, it shot some really tight groups with jacketed hollow points on top of Unique powder. The groups were a couple of inches.

Same weight bullet, hard cast lead, on top of universal power the groups were six and seven inches. Both loads were a couple tenths of a grain less than the "never exceed" limits from the "charts."

This is much better than when I first started shooting this gun. I bought it brand new and am thinking that the "myth" of breaking-in a barrel isn't always such a myth.

Am looking forward to shooting this gun at longer ranges and tweaking the loads.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
jmortimer

Really nice gun. Would not surprise me to find Unique more consistent with any bullet you try.