The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 18, 2012, 07:25 PM   #1
bigdaddy123

CZ 527 carbine .223

I have the CZ 527 in 7.62x39.I was thinking about getting it in .223.Does anyone here have one,if so,how do you like it?
Old September 18, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Sweet Shooter

I think the action is perfect for that cartridge. Maybe more so than the x39 And the light weight of the rifle will make a very cool enjoyable, capable walking combo.

My 527 in x39 is very accurate and I know my .223 rifles are accurate so I can only imaging that the 527 in .223 will be a winner... I would expect MOA easily. My x39 often achieves MOA out to 100 yards with irons/aperture.

I don't think I would spring for the longer rifle though, it's the utility in the carbine combined with the accuracy of that model that just make it hard to put down.

-Paul
Old September 19, 2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Rimfire5

The CZ 527 in .223 is a great rifle. I got the Varmint model with the Kevlar HS Precision factory stock because the CZ authorized distributor told me that the Kevlar stock is more stable if you shoot off a bipod. The distributor was absolutely right. The varmint barrel is slower to heat up although in the summer with temperatures in the 90s, it still heats up.
I particularly like the set trigger when I am testing loads from the bench.

I have one with a 1:9 twist and it shoots great - averaging under 0.340 with its 10 best hand loads. And that includes weights of 40, 45, 50, 52,
55, and 63 grain bullets.

It is my most accurate rifle.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:26 AM   #4
sirgilligan

Quote:
The CZ 527 in .223 is a great rifle. I got the Varmint model with the Kevlar HS Precision factory stock because the CZ authorized distributor told me that the Kevlar stock is more stable if you shoot off a bipod. The distributor was absolutely right. The varmint barrel is slower to heat up although in the summer with temperatures in the 90s, it still heats up.
I particularly like the set trigger when I am testing loads from the bench.

I have one with a 1:9 twist and it shoots great - averaging under 0.340 with its 10 best hand loads. And that includes weights of 40, 45, 50, 52,
55, and 63 grain bullets.

It is my most accurate rifle.
Thanks for the info. I am saving up for the .223 with 1 in 9 twist. I think it will complement my other .223 rifles and help me to avoid yet another caliber.

I contacted CZ myself and was told that in Europe the .223 spec is the 5.56 NATO spec and that it is completely safe to fire 5.56 NATO in the CZ 527 Varmint with 1 in 9 twist. I know another that contacted CZ USA and received the same information from a different representative. I am confident that it is not internet rumor and it is safe to shoot 5.56 in said rifle. That is a plus for me again because of a common cartridge with my other rifles.

Do not shoot 5.56 NATO in rifles stamped for .223 unless the manufacturer says it is okay to do so. 5.56 NATO cartridge is not identical to a .223 REM. Search the net for many discussions concerning the differences and dangers.
If you find your back is up against a wall, maybe you have been backing up for too long.
Old September 19, 2012, 10:16 AM   #5
roashooter

not the carbine....which I do admire....I have the CZ 527 full stock in 223...and it shoots 223 and 5.56 with no issues....other than trying to convince others that there are three rounds in that one ragged hole.....