The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 7, 2012, 04:40 PM   #1
FenrirTheWolfGod

First Semi-Auto

I am a brand new member and I am thinking about what I should get for my first Semi-Auto pistol. I have heard great things about both the Glock 21 and a Springfield .45 (I am partial to the .45 but that is merely my preference). I want to get a pistol for carry/home defense that I could also take Hunting. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Old September 7, 2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Creeper

Hi ya' Fenrir... welcome to the asylum.

Man... not much narrowing down there, if ya' know what I mean.
The Glock 21 is a well known, popular and satisfying handgun... saying "Springfield .45" leaves a bit of an open door... a 1911 or an XD?

I'd suggest going to a range that rents guns, and shoot everything that you have an interest in. There are a buttload of first class .45s out there in a very broad range of prices, trigger actuations, single and double stack, different sights and safeties, metal and polymer.
For anyone to recommend a gun, based on your post... well, that'd just be dumb.

Cheers,
C
Old September 7, 2012, 04:52 PM   #3
SIGSHR

As Mao Tse-tung said, "Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend". Which is about how many different answers you will get here. As a Life Member of SNM-Sons of Neanderthal Man-my recommendations would be on the really conservative side, I prefer all steel to aluminum or polymer or whatever, and I am not a fan of the Glock.
The best advice is the find a gunshop/range where you can try before you buy, you find of what is best for you, what fits your hand, what has the best "feel", etc. If you are not an experienced shooter, instruction from someone who is and is a good instructor as well is a wise investment.
Old September 7, 2012, 05:32 PM   #4
loose_holster_dan

good posts from the first two responders. reading any lower would be a waste of time.
rent as many as you can. find out what fits you best.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 7, 2012, 09:25 PM   #5
BGutzman

I am no fan of Glock as is well known... I wont denigrate them in this post but keep in mind lots of people own guns and know little more than what the advertising said, regardless of brand.

What I would suggest is find a range that allows you to rent guns and try everything you can that catches your interest... For ccw bodysize, height, and where you prefer to carry on your person can strongly effect the gun you should choose. Holster selection can be expensive, borrow from a friend and try it out if you can... To me leather is the most comfortable...

Look at all the attributes of the gun... reliability alone is never enough and no one owns the reliability title... I wish you the best of luck and look forward to more post from you in the future...
Old September 7, 2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Pilot

Are you committed to .45 ACP? If not consider a 9MM due to cost for your first semi auto. I reload to afford to feed my .45's.

You may also want to pick up a .22 conversion kit for whatever you buy. I would recommend a CZ-75 variant, and their excellent Kadet Kit .22 conversion.

Last edited by Pilot; September 8, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old September 7, 2012, 11:35 PM   #7
HKGuns

Rent - Shoot - evaluate fit and comfort then buy the one that meets your requirements and fits your budget. Don't just shoot one and buy it....Shoot several models of similar ilk before deciding.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
FenrirTheWolfGod

The Springfield was my Uncles so i am not sure what it was and I like the 45 for stopping power. I want someone down on the first, maybe the second shot. I plan to use for carry, hunting, home/personal defense, and range. I like all of you're ideas for renting and finding out what fits me. As I said stopping power is what im interested in or the most part, id carry a shotgun if i could
Old September 8, 2012, 12:42 AM   #9
FenrirTheWolfGod

Also someone mentioned body size and some other things. Im 19 about 6ft roughly 185 lbs, and would more likely than not carry on my hip unless wearing a suit coat or something like that in which id prolly go for shoulder holster.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:04 AM   #10
silvermane_1

fenrir, kinda off topic, 1st if your only 19 you can't legally own a hand gun yet in WA state, or any other state that i know of, 2nd when your 21 don't automatically assume you want to get a semi-auto, a fine old reliiable double action wheelgun might just suit you just as well if not better, remember shot placement always trumps cal. and mag capacity, with that said find a handgun that is comfortable and you can shoot resonably accuracy that fits your needs and budget, but like the others said go to a range that rents handguns and test what they have, also check out seattleguns.net, they have a list of ranges on the site, i think both sides of the cascades(not sure but check anyways).
Ruger:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlin: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfeild:XD .357sig 4",CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63
Old September 8, 2012, 07:22 AM   #11
HKGuns

If you are 19 then you can't own a pistol. Nice try though.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:46 AM   #12
carguychris

Quote:
1st if your only 19 you can't legally own a hand gun yet in WA state, or any other state that i know of...
TX and numerous other states allow adults under 21 to own handguns. The catch is that federal law prohibits FFL dealers from selling a handgun to anyone under 21. This means that if a 19-year-old Texan wants to own a handgun, he/she has to buy it in a private FTF sale, or convince someone to give it as a gift.

(Carry is another story.)

Last edited by carguychris; September 8, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: buy ---> own
Old September 8, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
carguychris

Back to the topic at hand...

I would suggest taking a look at the S&W M&P series. The M&P has most of the positive attributes of the Glock, but many people like the grip shape better, manual thumb safeties are available, and IMHO the takedown procedure is better because you don't have to hold the slide partway back or pull the trigger. The Glock currently enjoys better aftermarket support and more widespread (and cheaper) mag availability, but the M&P is rapidly closing the gap.

You don't specify which Sp'fld .45 pistol you're looking at- the XD or one of the M1911s. If it's an M1911, I would suggest also checking out Rock Island Armory products. Their pistols are rapidly gaining a reputation as the "Best Basic No-Frills M1911"- they're very inexpensive, yet they don't incorporate any weird non-standard parts or glaring shortcuts in construction, and most of them have very nice triggers and are very accurate out-of-the-box. The company also has a reputation for outstanding customer service. FWIW the pistols are built in the Philippines, but you'll find that most other basic to mid-range M1911s are also foreign-built, or are assembled from mostly foreign parts (this includes Springfields).
Old September 8, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
FenrirTheWolfGod

1. I know that I am too young to buy a pistol, my objective is to get as much information as I can for when I turn 21. Covering my bases as it were. 2. I believe that the Springfield was an XD and I was warned away from the 1911's because of accuracy issues. Not sure if that true or not. how ever i will definitely rent and test the hell out of a lot of different ones. 3. what im trying to do is get names of gun companys that make good all around use pistols, and you guys have been really nice and helpful to me and last but not least im sorry that but its going to take me a while to get used to using alot of the features on this site (never been on one like this befor) but i think im really going to enjoy this site.
Old September 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #15
TxFlyFish

RENT...SHOOT we all have our preferences
Old September 8, 2012, 09:18 PM   #16
jfrey

I don't know who or why you were warned away from 1911's but they can be some of the most accurate handguns you can buy. The XD and G21 are fairly large guns and can be a problem carrying concealed without considerable cover garments. If you are looking for a carry, house, hunting gun, let me suggest you look at the G36 instead. Less ammo in the magazine but everything is a tradeoff when it comes to pistols. If you carry much, you will realize quickly you want the lightest pistol you can find as they get heavy after a while. Steel guns are great but plastic is a lot lighter.
Old September 8, 2012, 10:07 PM   #17
FenrirTheWolfGod

Thanks jfrey i looked it up and ur right it is alot smaller, 6 rounds to the 21's 13 but the 21 weighs 1090 g / 38.45 oz. loaded were as the 36 weighs 765 g / 26.98 oz. loaded thats a BIG differance thanks i never really considered the weight problem
Old September 8, 2012, 10:24 PM   #18
FenrirTheWolfGod

Also in response to silvermane_1 the reason i thought semi auto is that my dad has a revolver that ive shot and i dont like the way it sits in my hand, but now i know that, that is only one pistol so im not going to rule out revolvers.
Old September 9, 2012, 12:04 AM   #19
Metal god

"Simple" you get the glock and if you have second thoughts you can always get a glock . I do not own a glock ,I have shot them and watched some torcher test videos on them, they are the real deal . I have an XD . Im really starting to like it . I have about 800 rounds through it and not one problem (not one ,not even something little , it's great)