The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Beagle45ACP

.45 ACP Bulk Ammo

Ok, so I'm new to this forum, but I've read enough threads to know that you guys know your stuff and are very friendly and helpful to boot. My problem is that my friend and I are looking for deals on bulk .45 ACP, but can't seem to find any bulk ammo that is actually cheaper per round than your average 50 or 100 round box. I know that the most cost-effective solution is reloading, but we were really just looking for cheap steel/aluminum cased rounds to shoot during an upcoming camping trip, because we suspect we won't be getting most of the cases back. If anyone here has any helpful insight, it would be much appreciated.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Creeper

Hello and welcome to the Asylum...

Natchez Shooters Supply has aluminum Blazer for $319.80 per 1000... about $35 cheaper than anyone else I've seen.

Depending on where you're located and who you buy from, you might save so much on shipping that a few bucks difference in price isn't relevant... so, always check your shipping costs.

Cheers,
C
Old September 12, 2012, 10:53 AM   #3
jmstr

I don't know what you mean about cheaper than your 'average' 50 or 100 round box.

I do know that I can buy .45acp from WalMart for almost as cheap as steel/aluminum cased stuff shipped to my house. My local WalMart has 100 round boxes of Federal Champion for about $30, and 100 round boxes of Winchester WhiteBox bulk for about $40. I can also buy steel cased for $14.97 per 50 there.

Online there are MANY ammo retailiers. I favor Sportsmansguide dot com, as I am a member and you can occassionally purchase at sale times with free shipping, and have the bill [if it is over $150] split into 4 monthly payments. But, even there, I usually can't find a deal that is SIGNIFICANTLY better than WalMart. I just find better quality ammo for the same price as walmart.

The problem is that WalMart sells out of the bulk .45acp and 9mm packs too fast. Sometimes I don't see them on the shelf for 2 or 3 weeks, as they get 10 boxes and those may sell out in 2 hours.
Old September 12, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
FJ4ZROX

try SG Ammo....

http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol...on/45-auto-acp
Old September 12, 2012, 12:15 PM   #5
Patriot86

+1 Walmart: my local walmart has federal, brass case, FMJ 100 rounds of 45 ACP for about $30.00.
That is a $10.00 cheaper than if you got two boxes of 50; Federal is a quality brand.

If you are stocking up in 45 ACP check walmart!

Another musing.....my local walmart is about sold out of 9MM and 223 ammo of all types(they had tons of 9mm about 3 weeks ago, this last weekend one box) but the 40 S&W and 45 ACP seem to have been untouched for the last month. Must be a geographical thing.
Old September 12, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6
mitchntx

I've purchased a lot of ammo from both SG and Natchez. But to be honest, SG manytimes is limited on what they have in stock and Natchez shipping costs have become quite jaw dropping.

The last few big orders I've made have been through Palmetto State Armory.
Maybe a dollar/50 more expensive in some cases, but their shipping is 1/2 what Natchez adds.

All have given me great customer service and have no issues in that regard.

JME ....
Old September 12, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7
Marquezj16

Let ammo engine do the work for you.

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.45_ACP

I do reload but when my local Wal Mart has the federal for $29 for a 100, I buy a few.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8
KyJim

A lot of times it's not any cheaper to buy online but my local Walmarts can't seem to keep the 100 packs in stock and the 50 round boxes are considerably more expensive. Whenever I buy .45 acp in bulk online, I also buy premium defense rounds like Gold Dots or Federal HST. They cost considerably less than in local stores (if you can find them).
Jim's Rules of Carry: 1. Any gun is better than no gun. 2. A gun that is reliable is better than a gun that is not. 3. A hole in the right place is better than a hole in the wrong place. 4. A bigger hole is a better hole.

no guns = might makes right
Old September 13, 2012, 03:42 PM   #9
Beagle45ACP

Thank you all for your input. I personally have no problem buying the TulAmmo from WalMart, it's just that all the stores around me under-order all of their .45 ammo and never seem to have any in stock when I'm looking. I figured trying to buy ammo in bulk might be cheaper, but after looking around that's probably not the case. I hadn't heard of SG, Natchez, or ammoengine, so I'll be checking those out before going on a county-wide WalMart scavenger hunt. Once again, thanks for the help.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:42 PM   #10
Marquezj16

Quote:
under-order all of their .45 ammo and never seem to have any in stock
Could be someone buys the whole shipment each time it reaches the store.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Venom1956

Quote:
Could be someone buys the whole shipment each time it reaches the store.
LOL if he lived closer to me that would be my bad.

agreed. Walmart Federals are the cheapest brass loaded .45s I've found everywhere. I spoke with the Sporting Goods guy. I buy them all then he keeps doubling the order requests so they send more each time. Maybe your Walmart can do the same?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old September 13, 2012, 06:34 PM   #12
Beagle45ACP

I'd thought of doing that, just I didn't feel like the sporting goods salespeople would actually do it for me. But if some of you have had good experiences in the matter, then I suppose it's worth a try. Again, thanks for the input fellas.