The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 11, 2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Shootest

Browning Hi-Power Question

Browning Hi-Power Question

What weight recoil spring does the Browning Hi-Power in 40S&W come from the factory with? I really like this gun, it is such a beauty, but the spring is so stiff it will only work with full hot loads. Any load reduction what so ever will lead to stove pipes galore. I think what I need is to find a lighter spring for lighter target shooting loads. But probably not as light as the 9mm version. What do you guys recommend?
Old September 11, 2012, 10:00 AM   #2
KenL

When I had my BHP in .40 I only shot factory loads, so the stock spring worked fine. I remember it being very stiff as the slide was pretty hard to rack. Never stovepiped though.

I wish I still had that gun.

Sorry OP, other than that I got nothin.
Old September 11, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

The factory weight for a 9mm is 17 lbs., and for a .40, it's 20 lbs.

Unless you're having cycling problems with lighter loads - such as the gun not feeding or extracting properly with lighter rounds -- there's really no reason to go to a lighter recoil spring. A lighter spring will make it easier to rack the slide, but you probably won't notice a lot of difference, otherwise.

Wolff has a lot of options, including some variable-rate springs. www.gunsprings.com

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; September 11, 2012 at 04:38 PM.