The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
medman

How old is my S&W Model 27

My father got a S&W Model 27 back in the late 50's early 60's.....now that he has past, we got a chance to looked at it ....we (my brother and I) thought that it didn't look like the pistol we remember....I got the serial number from this pistol and its serial number is S77***. Can anyone help with when this was made?
Old September 5, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Winchester_73

If its definitely S 77XXX as in 5 numbers thats an early post war gun, possibly 1949 or 1950 I would estimate. Its also a 5 screw with that SN, has upper side plate screw in front of hammer
Old September 5, 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
mrbentley57

SN S77xxx would date to 1951 or possibly very early 1952 according to History of S&W by Roy Jinks. That is a very early Post war pre model 27. Do you have pics? I would have that factory lettered for authenticity by S&W. That will give an exact ship date any any pertinent info of how the gun was configured when it shipped. Do you have the original box?
Mike
Old September 6, 2012, 07:13 AM   #4
medman

How old...

Thanks for the help guys on the date of manufacture of the Model 27...sounds like it I should keep this one in the family. I will get some pics ASAP and if it it is as rare or early ? will post result
Old September 6, 2012, 10:27 PM   #5
pittspilot

That is a fine revolver.

Winston S. Churchill

"The American Republic is finished when the Congress realizes that it can bribe the people with the peoples money"

De Touqueville
Old September 7, 2012, 11:00 AM   #6
BigJimP

Any version of the model 27 you have ...regardless of the engineering revision....should stay in the family in my view.

My model 27's are some of the finest revolvers I own..../ I was shooting a model 27-2 4" Nickel last nite at some tactical drills...drawing from a holsters and triple taps....( and I was 100% clean on my drills...under 4 sec out of holster with triple taps ) from 15' to 30' to a 6" X 11" rectangle A zone on IPSC target ...not a particularly quick drill -- / but still a lot of fun if you can run it clean.

It always feels great to shoot one of my model 27's....
Old September 7, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Winchester_73

With that SN, the model was actually called the S&W ".357 MAGNUM". Then it was renamed the model 27 in 1957. Your gun is well thought of in the S&W community. Unless someone knows S&Ws, they may not know, but that era was some of the finest S&W revolvers ever made. Every 5 screw I've had (a good 1 or 2 ) has been fabulotastic!
Old September 7, 2012, 07:11 PM   #8
kraigwy

I want to thank you for this post.

Asking about yours made me dig out my M-27. Hadn't shot it in a while so I fished it out from the back of my gun safe and decided to a few rounds.

Tomorrow I'm putting on and shooting a Bowling Pin match. Was planning on shooting my 4 in Model 28, but after my shooting session I remembered I can shoot my 6 1/2 in.27 better, at least in single action which is what I use on Pins.

Thanks.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 7, 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
jglsprings

Kraigwy

That model 27 with a 6"+ barrel was made for pins! I've been beaten like a run-a-way dog by more 27s at pin matches.

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:07 AM   #10
kraigwy

I agree.

We'll see tomorrow.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 8, 2012, 08:53 PM   #11
jglsprings

KraigWy,

So, how did it go today?

Some guy at the end of the bar always has to stand up and shout something that makes no sense at all.