The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 08:54 AM   #1
chasgrips45

Spring Shots

During my years handling firearms , I`ve launched more various & sundry springs into orbit! Any special hints as to how to minimize looking around aimlessly for a spring the size of an atom?
Old September 5, 2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

a limited area, & a strong magnet on a stick is my friend...
Old September 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Technosavant

There's a few ways to do this.

1) If the parts are small enough, do the procedure inside a plastic bag (like a Ziploc or similar).

2) Do the procedure in a confined area if they won't fit in a bag- if you have a bathtub, stick the curtain inside the tub, close the drain, and do it in there. Chances are the spring won't fly out of there.

3) Spare parts. Lose one, you've got more.

4) Don't mess it up.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Magnetic screwdriver. No need to get on your hands and knees looking for that plunger ejector- just wave your magnetic screwdriver tip over the suspect area- "tick"- you just found it.

Carpet the top of your bench- it helps snag parts that would otherwise reach escape velocity.

On my first day as a 'smith I launched a spring across the shop. My boss and I looked..and looked. And looked. Finally we gave up and replaced the part. 10 years later he called me and said "Hey, remember that spring and mag cap for the Model 12? I found them on top of the bluing hood!"

All kidding aside, after a while you begin to anticipate the easy to lose stuff. Plunger ejectors get covered with a rag to trap the parts. 1911 mainspring housings get disassembled against the edge of the bench with a 1/8" punch. 1911's get disassembled by pulling the slide first, then removing the bushing.
And always wear eye protection.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
And always wear eye protection.
Yup. If a part can launch far enough to get lost, it's going fast enough to put a hurtin' on your eyeball.
Old September 6, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Flopsweat

I did that just yesterday! Fortunately it was a low-energy launch directly at a wall, which made it easy to find. When I remember to do it, the plastic bag thing works great - especially a clear one. I will even cut the bag to fit around larger parts like barrels or stocks.
Old September 7, 2012, 10:16 AM   #7
berettaprofessor

Quote:
if you have a bathtub, stick the curtain inside the tub, close the drain, and do it in there
That made me laugh. Maybe it would work, but imagine the scene if you're caught doing this by a young wife. She'll run straight for the phone to call the padded wagons.

Thankfully, an older spouse will just roll her eyes and walk away.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:29 PM   #8
chasgrips45

Unless your`e wife is taking a bath also.Oh ,you could get everything "squeaky clean"