The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 12:54 PM   #1
SgtJUSMC

Wanted: Junior .22 Match Rifles

The club I belong to, Miami Rifle & Pistol Club, sponsors a 12 week Junior Small Bore shooters camp each summer for children between 14 and 20 years of age.

This summer we had 22 shooters with 10 kids on the waiting list. Our problem is that we are limited in the number of Junior/Medium sized .22 target rifles. The Winchester model 52's and Kimber model 82's we have are too heavy for the younger shooters, especially the young ladies.

Several of us have made annual trips, for the last several years, to the National Matches at Camp Perry in search of additional rifles, but we're told that no one makes Junior rifles anymore and the Savage rifles the CMP sells won't accommodate a hand-stop rail.

We're looking for Junior size rifles like Anschutz, 1903, ST, 64 in good condition with match sights.

Any help in locating additional rifles is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

John
Old September 6, 2012, 03:37 AM   #2
DaleA

IIRC our YMCA used Mossberg bolt action .22 rifles for their program with aperture sights for the beginners.

Might have been something like this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=304388389
or this:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=302699688

If you're looking for getting some financing someone posted some info about that here:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498294

Good luck.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
22-rimfire

You might also try RimfireCentral. You may have already done that.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
but we're told that no one makes Junior rifles anymore and the Savage rifles the CMP sells won't accommodate a hand-stop rail
I'm a little confused here... Is this the only limiting factor that prevents the purchase of the Savage Mark I-FVT model?

If so, you can purchase genuine Parker Hale British military match hand-stop and rail sets from Sarco for $16.50 a pop... maybe less if they find out what they're to be used for.
Your local machine shop (or well equipped gunsmith) can inlet the forend quick, easy and again, probably pretty cheap if they find out what they're to be used for.
Hell... If I still had a mill, I'd think nothing of spending a weekend afternoon setting up and inletting 10-20 stocks for a youth shooting camp, for free.

C