The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 5, 2012, 04:07 PM   #26
BoogieMan

Personaly I love the looks of the Astra 600. I must admit I have yet to fire one. http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/sp/...and-600-e.html
Old September 5, 2012, 07:25 PM   #27
magmax

Aarond, BlueTrain,
The Savage pistols are striker fired. What looks like a hammer is really a "cocking lever" and you can uncock or cock pistol just like as if it were a hammer. Ironically, the 1903/1908 Colt and Remington M51 pistols were advertised in their day as "Hammerless", while the Savage appeared to have a hammer. The Savage pistols also have a staggered magazine which allows them to hold 10 rounds of .32acp. which was greater than their competitors. Great little guns.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:07 PM   #28
Stevie-Ray

Well, my grandfather carried old toasty here, illegally I'm sure, for a great many years, and passed it down to my father. It's been mine since 1987. I've fired it but have no interest in carrying it, heck the P32 in my back pocket fires the same cartridge and is far smaller and lighter, albeit not as classy.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:13 PM   #29
aarondhgraham

Hello Stevie-Ray,,,

I have to ask,,,
Is there a story behind the name of Old Toasty?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2012, 03:56 PM   #30
magmax

There is something special about holding a Remington in your hand. I actually got my calipers out because I was sure the Remington was thinner than the Colt, but they are both .750 thick at the slide. I have both the .32 and the .380.
David

Old September 6, 2012, 03:58 PM   #31
aarondhgraham

Hello magmax,,,

That's one pretty little pistol.

Is it a Model 51?

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 6, 2012, 05:22 PM   #32
PetahW

Yep the Remington's a P-51. I stopped firing mine, due to parts obtanium issues.

I'm continually attracted to the quality of the DA Walther, tho - This is my 7.65/.32ACP Model PP.

Old September 6, 2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Is there a story behind the name of Old Toasty?
Well, yeah. I gave it that name after firing a box of Geco ball through it. The Gecos are well known for being hotter than most, I just didn't realize how hot, literally. After I set the gun down I turned to get my case and when I came back I picked the gun up by the slide and frame rather than the butt and that sucker was hot! Dern near dropped it into the case. So she's been Old Toasty ever since. Never had that problem with any other guns I have, other than not touching barrels on semi-auto .22s after glorious shoots.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:36 AM   #34
Quincunx

I still yearn for one of the Cylinder & Slide .45 ACP versions of the Colt 1903/08 "hammerless" model. Might have to sell a kidney or two to afford one, but I think it just might be worth it.
Old September 7, 2012, 08:11 AM   #35
Mike Irwin
Staff

I thought I had a solid line in a Remington 51 .32 ACP a couple of years ago for a decent price.

At the last minute the owner decided to keep it.

Sigh.

I have a CZ 70 in .32, but compared to the Remington 51, it's a heavy, ugly, ungainly, ill balanced brick.

Sigh.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.