The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2012, 07:47 PM   #26
hdfb910

Switch hands. I'm all for any reason to buy a new pistol. But, I would practice shooting with your other hand before I would consider going down to a .22 for concealed carry or as primary defense weapon.
Old September 4, 2012, 07:49 PM   #27
FloridaVeteran

Big Tom - your description of your dilemma makes it sound like this condition is permanent. Is that accurate? If not, when are you expected to be be able to use your strong hand again?

I didn't see any mention of how much effort you put into shooting with your support (off) hand, just that you think you are no good at it. In cowboy shooting, many competitors choose to shoot two-handed. Almost all of them suck at off-hand shooting until they have practiced a lot, just like anything else. Then they become good, and after that they become very good.

So it sounds like you are impatient relative to recovery of your strong-hand wrist. Your call - no judgment about that. Since .22LR is cheap to shoot, why don't you rent or borrow one and go to the range and practice shooting it with your support hand? At worst, you'll likely have added a great back-up skill and if you are fortunate, which I think likely, you won't have to buy an additional gun to accommodate your present condition.

Worst, worst case, which doesn't sound necessary, consider .22 Magnum. Recoil even in an 11 oz. Smith snubbie is minimal, but Hornady now makes its Critical Defense round for it and it gives you a heck of a lot more SD power than a .22LR and, to my knowledge, any .25 that is on the market.
Old September 5, 2012, 04:57 AM   #28
marine6680

Yeah... off hand practice is a good thing... you will probably never be as good an aim, or as fast on the draw as strong hand though.

If you are sure you want a 22lr... they can serve, and are better than nothing.

The "no extractor" thing about the tip up pistols is a concern if that is so.

You can look at the Ruger SR22... Small, light, DA/SA with decocker... if you get a dud, you can just pull the trigger again, or do immediate action to clear the dud round.

If you look around, it is about $280 online. (found it that price at a small shop that also sells online, but I did not bookmark it, sorry)

If you do go 22lr, practice with cheap bulk, but load it with velocitors or round nose minimags. The Velocitors are HP but will not expand from a pistol, they do hold a 50-100fps velocity advantage over the minimags out of the SR22. Be sure to test the functioning of the carry ammo... but usually the premium rimfire is very reliable. (I also used high velocity rounds for the first few mags, just to make sure the pistol cycles reliably during the initial "tight" phase of a new gun... but thats just me, some may see it as unnecessary)

You want penetration first if you are stuck with 22lr... the round nose minimags and velocitors will give you about 13in penetration in ballistics gel under standard testing. (using denim and calibrated medium)

When loading the mags for carry, load them slow and deliberately. Some 22 pistol mags have a loading assist built in. It is fine to use it a little to help start the next round into the mag, but do not pull it all the way down and load several rounds in without any spring pressure to help keep them lined up properly... doing that at the range its fine, as a malfunction is not serious. If you are afraid of it becoming habit, don't do it at all, that way you always load the magazines well. (I have yet to have a problem from that, but better safe than sorry)

Good luck with your situation whatever you should decide.

Last edited by marine6680; September 5, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:25 PM   #29
Big Tom

A quick update. I went with a friend to the gun shop today and we were looking at some gun stuff. I came across 2 Kel tec P32 10 round mags. I decided to give em a shot as I often carry a .32 as a back up weapon. I decided that since I had 2 hours to kill, me and my friend could hit the range. I bought 3 boxes of ammo and he payed for the range time. We each shot 50 rounds and agreed the Kel Tec shot all together differently than with the 7 rounders.

So I decided to suck it up and try to shoot the gun with my bad wrist.....well....I shot with it and used both hands....Problem SOLVED! I felt not a single bit of pain at all. I have 3 holsters for the gun and just decided to do in the waste band carry. I was practicing drawing and no problems with the extension printing and actually easier to draw. Remember, they call be Big Tom for a reason, lol.

I would like to thank everyone for help on the matter. I have to admit though that that Taurus Poly in .22 looked like a nice fun gun so I may buy one for that down the road. Anyways I just wanted to leave this update and say thank you to everyone for giving me advice and steering me in the right direction of not going smaller.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:33 PM   #30
orionengnr

Do you have two hands?

If you have never trained to shoot with your weak hand, this is the perfect opportunity.
The .32 is a mousegun caliber. You should be able to shoot the .32 reasonably well left-handed within 50 rounds.

When your right wrist heals, move back to your preferred carry gun, but start practicing with your weak hand. In the real world, you never know what will happen. Being able to use either hand to shoot effectively is a basic skill.

There is no way I would carry a .22 or a .25 for SD.
Old September 6, 2012, 09:01 PM   #31
cajun47

the ruger lcr 22 is the only .22lr handgun i never had a malfunction with.

i did some of my own home made cajun style ballistic "test" with it. even though it has a sub 2" barrel, it is accurate and deadly. i would use it in sd if thats what i had.

i had serious doubts about the .22lr in a sub 2" barrel. instead of ballistics gel i used live gators(gator hunting) just this week. i shoot through the scull plate, not the soft spot behind it.

today i found the perfect round for the lcr. the cci velocitor. i require a 1 shot kill on gators from 4 to 7 feet in size. first thing i noticed was round nose .22 rounds did not kill with only one shot, no matter the brand. even the very hot aguila round nose.

the federal bulk hp that put down gators in one shot with my s&w 22a did not do so in the lcr 22. cci stingers failed. remington yellow jacket failed. only the 40 grain hp cci velocitor did one shot kills. it did so on 8 gators today. one gator was 8 foot, i should have used my glock 19 for that one but the velocitor got the job done.

i only had the chance to kill two gators in the 10 foot range with my glock 19 and using winchester white box hollow points which did a fantastic job.

so yea my vote is for you to get the lcr 22 and velocitors hollow points.
Old September 7, 2012, 07:56 AM   #32
aarondhgraham

If you want a .25 ACP pistol,,,

If you want a .25 ACP pistol,,,
The Taurus 25-PLY might be the answer.

I've only shot ball ammo (Aquila) through mine,,,
But I'm on my 5th or 6th box without a failure of any kind.

I'm only a fan-boy of these pistols because they work.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old September 7, 2012, 10:42 AM   #33
Chadk

PT-22

I have the metal framed PT-22. probably had it more than 10 years.
I attempted several mag's through it this weekend. Was very disapointed with ejection stovepipes on almost every single round and trigger reset problems on many, many shots. Thunderbolt ammo. I'm going to have to try the CCI Mini Mags next time. I have the Yellow Jacket, but cant get them to feed???

I want the gun to function so I'm not going to give up on it yet.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:15 AM   #34
jsiberians

bobat 21a/LCR22

We have both the Bobcat 21a 22lr and the LCR22.
My wife and I both ccw and practice SD shooting from 4 t9 30 feet.
My wife is quite proficient at all those distances with either.
She likes the LCR22 but prefers to ccw the 21a.
We practice with Win 333 22lr HP never a problem but for SD we load
CCI Stingers HP. in both. Also CCI Mini Mags are a good choice.
The LCR22 shoots everything I've fed it shorts,longs,long rifle of all makes some 30 and 40 yrs old.
The 21a seems only to like the high velocity rounds to make it cycle properly.
The Win 333 lr seem to work great and very inexpensive for practice in it.
Old October 1, 2012, 08:07 AM   #35
Crow Hunter

Since this has been brought up again.

I checked.

The tip up style autos (like the Taurus PLY) DO NOT have an extractor.

They rely on the gas pressure of the round fired to "blow it" out of the chamber.

Anyone using one needs to make sure that they have the right techique for malfunction clearance and making the gun safe.

Good luck.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:24 AM   #36
Pilot

Several years ago, I bought a Beretta 21a on a lark. When I can't carry anything else, that's what I carry. It has been reliable with CCI Minimags.
Old October 1, 2012, 11:35 AM   #37
aarondhgraham

Hello Big Tom,,,

I just reread your initial post,,,
I didn't notice on the first read that you have a Bersa .380.

In light of that new (to me) info,,,
I highly recommend a Bersa Thunder 22.

I have the Thunder 380 and the Thunder 22,,,
The Thunder 22 is a great little pistol.

Mine will run Federal Bulk Pack all day for economy,,,
Also it will handle the hotter rounds such as CCI Mini Mags.

My experiences with this little gun are all positive,,,
And believe me when I say it gets shot a lot.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 1, 2012, 07:53 PM   #38
TailGator

Quote:
The tip up style autos (like the Taurus PLY) DO NOT have an extractor.

They rely on the gas pressure of the round fired to "blow it" out of the chamber.
Those observations are also true of the Beretta 21A.
Old October 2, 2012, 12:52 AM   #39
michael t

This is the reason you learn and practice to shoot weak handed , If you get hurt on strong side you can still shoot. I say that 25 % of you ammo at range should be weak hand shooting Start withtarget close and work it back . You never know when a accident can happen
American Classic new home www.americanclassic1911forum.com
Old October 2, 2012, 11:26 AM   #40
erob3

Just a thought, if your wrist is hurt that badly it MAY difficult for you to manage the double action trigger pull on either a Taurus or Beretta. I have handled both and the DA trigger pull can be stout. I agree with Mystro, a NAA 22 is a great option, small for pocket carry, SS, very safe. However, I would go with the 22 magnum. I have a friend that owns one, everytime he lets me handle his it makes me wish I had not sold mine. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Colt 1911 9mm, S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series, Buckmark .22, Lipsey Ruger MKII SS 4", Ruger Mk II Comp Trgt SS, Ruger Mk II Trgt SS, RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm, S&W Mdl 41 .22, H.S. Citation, H.S. Trophy, H.S. Victor E. Hartford, H.S. Victor Hamden, H.S. 103 Space Gun, Speedmaster .22, Savage MKII .22 BTVS, SKB O/U 505