The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 03:11 AM   #1
riotfolk45acp

New member need advice on new 9mm and 45acp pistols

Hello, I’m new here, not new to guns though. Ok I’m looking to get two new pistols but not really sure what to get, what I do know is I want a 9mm and a 45 ACP. I’ve been to the gunshops all over my state (Ohio) and put all sort of pistols in my hand. I couldn’t possibly imagine spending more than 800 bucks on one gun. Also, the cheaper the more of a chance the wife will clear me for the purchases. I want them to both be reliable and accurate enough for hd/sd/some type of shtf/wrol situation (might carry then but I don’t know, not trien to start a shtf thread but it is in mind) I do have a Hi-point 45acp never had a jam or problem with accuracy and I do like it but I don’t want it for more than a range toy. But when it comes to these two I want to get I would like to keep the purchase of the two under 1000 (the cheaper the better all the way around including the wife factor). also I have this thing with not wanting used guns I’m just not comfortable getting one...I’m pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I want I don’t want a gun I have to fix when I get it I want it to work good out of the box I have taken a liking to the sd9ve but I have never put one in my hands or even seen one in person yet thats an internet crush for now. It would be awesome to get a 9mm that I can get 30 round magazines for but I can’t go over 31 total including round in the chamber(Ohio law) any ways 30 is enough for me though. But if the 30 round ability costs more it is not a must.

What I liked based on feel:
9mm:
-Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm (love the feel of it and the 45 ACP version)
-Taurus millennium pro 9mm
-Sig Saur p226 9mm (I really liked the da/sa and de-cock feature)
-Glock gen 3 19 9mm (I can live with that)
-I have shot (many many times) a SW9ve 9mm only problem I had was the trigger pull but after so many hundreds of rounds you get used to it or it could have been it loosened up but I loved everything else about that gun and the feel of the grip was perfect for me.
45 ACP:
-Ruger p345 45acp (nice feel)
-Springfield XDm 45acp 4.5 (I really liked both bi-tone and all black in both 9mm and 45 ACP)
-every single 1911 I ever held or shot (so many I don’t even remember all the different brands)
What I didn’t like:
-Ruger (p85?) it was 9mm and DAO (all metal) I hated that thing it hurt every time I pulled the trigger
-Glock 21 45 ACP it was just too big for my hand
Old September 8, 2012, 03:30 AM   #2
dondulah

G19 perfect all arounds and has hi cap mags readily available
Old September 8, 2012, 06:51 AM   #3
BGutzman

Quote:
9mm:
-Springfield XDm 4.5 9mm (love the feel of it and the 45 ACP version)
-Taurus millennium pro 9mm
-Sig Saur p226 9mm (I really liked the da/sa and de-cock feature)
-Glock gen 3 19 9mm (I can live with that)
-I have shot (many many times) a SW9ve 9mm only problem I had was the trigger pull but after so many hundreds of rounds you get used to it or it could have been it loosened up but I loved everything else about that gun and the feel of the grip was perfect for me.
45 ACP:
-Ruger p345 45acp (nice feel)
-Springfield XDm 45acp 4.5 (I really liked both bi-tone and all black in both 9mm and 45 ACP)
-every single 1911 I ever held or shot (so many I don’t even remember all the different brands)
What I didn’t like:
-Ruger (p85?) it was 9mm and DAO (all metal) I hated that thing it hurt every time I pulled the trigger
-Glock 21 45 ACP it was just too big for my hand
Welcome to the forum!
Springfield in general is just a plain dang good pistol... Im not aware or any recall on Springfield in recent years. Overall they seem to have better ergos than some other pistols in this same category.

Taurus - I don’t recommend unless you’re buying second hand and its a known good pistol at a good price. My wife and I bought three pistols from Taurus... The short version is all three had problems with very basic things.

Sig - you just really cant go wrong... One of my favorite brands. Just be sure that you do the recommended maintenance yearly if your going to carry it for ccw... Very reliable guns, great ergos, nice triggers, good sights

Glock - gen 3 - not my cup of tea but it might be yours...

Ruger - I don’t own any but I do like them.

1911 - classic and fantastic just be aware that some 1911's are very picky about what ammo you use

I don’t know if you have tried any Bersa pistols... I own a 380 Thunder and its a fantastic little pistol, I have heard good things about their other pistols in general. I have read a few negatives (breakages), but overall very few...
Old September 8, 2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Kevin_d77

Great choices but good luck getting both new for under 1000. You might be able to get both in Glocks or XD but def not new XDM.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:30 AM   #5
plouffedaddy

Of the choices listed I'd get the G19 (it's the most popular gun in America for a reason) and the P345. That said, I'd take a look at the M&P45; it's a great gun and it would still fit in your budget. You'd also have the advantage of a similar manual of arms.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:33 AM   #6
wbw

Welcome to the forum.

The XDm is an excellent pistol in my opinion. I've got close to 2000 rounds through mine with zero problems. It's just feels solid, even though it's poly. Striker fired.

Ruger's SR9c is also a good choice in 9mm. It comes with a short mag for carry purposes and a 17 round mag for carry or range time. Striker fired.

In .45 you might consider the Stoeger Cougar. It's really a Beretta and can be had new for around $450, which might help you meet your goal of spending a combined total of less than $1000. The Cougar is a real value for the money. DA/SA with decocker.

All are pictured below in the order I gave above.

Last edited by wbw; September 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:50 AM   #7
Sgt.Fathead

My carry piece is the Ruger SR9C. I've owned Ruger products for years and they are well made, value priced, accurate, reliable, dependable and the company has phenomenal customer service.

The SR9C carries easily and conceals well with the ten round magazine (the mags are Italian made, btw) and with two 17 round mags as back-up, I feel well prepared. With the grip sleeve extension on the higher cap mags, the grip is identical to the full sized model. They do come factory stock with a magazine disconnect safety which is easily removable and reinstalled. I've cycled thousands of rounds through mine with nary a hiccup. It is literally a handgun I trust my life to.
Old September 8, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
CWKahrFan

With transfer... $325 for decent quality HiPower-similar Arcus... These are much better known outside US... Thru classicfirearms.com... Link:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-...al-9mm-new-398

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/...exclusives_img
Old September 8, 2012, 12:22 PM   #9
RBid

Ruger SR9c for the 9mm gives you a great option for carry, home defense, the range, and SHTF/WROL. In most actual SHTF scenarios, history has shown that concealed carry and going under the radar is the best option. The Ruger comes with a 10-round mag for concealment, and a 17-round mag for everything else. With the pinky extension on, you can easily get a full and positive grip in the pistol. This is what I carry every day. I got mine for $389.00, and spare mags in each size for about $40 each.

Springfield Armory XDm 4.5" .45. Great pistol.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:08 PM   #10
ET.

I think I'd stay away from a Bulgarian made handgun with a one year manufacturer's warranty for my first gun. The Rugers, Glocks, Springfields, Brownings, etc, would all make good carry/sd guns. The Bulgarian Hi-Power is a great looking gun & I'm sure it is solid (no I'm not), BUT I don't want a gun with a one year warranty. If that's all the manufacturer is willing to risk, then I'm not going to assume the risk for the rest of the years that I own it. Hey but that's just me ...
Old September 8, 2012, 11:56 PM   #11
riotfolk45acp

Thank you for all the replies, ET I think your right about the one year warranty I would much rather have a lifetime warranty.. Wbw that xdm is beautiful and Kevin_d77 I’m starting to think your right, I will probably spend more than 1000 I may be poor but that doesn’t mean I can’t just save up the money (I’m just afraid if I save it up and wifey knows she might want me to get her jewelry or another 9mm pistol for her ) I think I’m going to look into this Ruger sr9c I’ve looked at an m&p before I just don’t remember the feel (I was being rushed by wifey, when I’m in the gun shop I can spend a long time just looking at guns) I still can’t get the xdm bi-tone out of my head but after watching a nut n fancy youtube video with the Glock and xdm going head to head the xdm jammed multiple times I heard them say something about it could be a maintenance problem which if it is I wouldn’t have a problem I’m very strict about the cleanliness of my firearms. I’ve also watched allot of Hickok45’s videos he did allot with this series in all calibers and never seen him have a malfunction. I have been thinking get the xdm in 45acp and the Glock 19 but I don’t know about Glock I’ve heard allot of horror stories and allot success stories. I guess I’m just afraid of spending all that money on a firearm just to have it jam on me or blow up in my face but I would feel very comfortable with a lifetime warranty so which ones have lifetime warranties? And about Taurus let’s just say if I got one I wouldn’t tell my father I bought one It would be the first time he tells me he wasn’t proud of me .