The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 5, 2012, 08:28 AM   #1
droptrd

RRA Chrome carrier groups?

Finally got my rifle from RRA. I was kinda bummed to find out that on 7-10-12 RRA discontinued chrome bolt carrier groups as part of the operator specials

They say waiting for the chrome parts was backing them up more than they already are so they cut them from the specials.

Oh well.....
Old September 5, 2012, 09:35 AM   #2
madcratebuilder

Why do you want a chrome BCG? All current M16's use a phosphate BCG. No chrome BCG's are used in deployed rifles, training use only.

I don't find a chrome BCG to be that easier to clean or add any reliability.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:13 AM   #3
droptrd

All my chrome lined barrels are easier to clean soo I figured...
Old September 5, 2012, 12:58 PM   #4
learningcurve

Well I have a Chrome BCG and I love it compared to my other BCG which is the standard black one. I can have the chrome one done in a very short time compared to my black one.
Old September 5, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
Technosavant

I have a couple rifles with fully chromed BCGs and a few with the more traditional phosphate exterior/chrome interior finish.

The fully chromed ones are indeed easier to clean- they wipe down really nicely. However, I don't know that they make much, if any, difference in reliability. The fully chromed ones look really nasty after a mag or two of suppressed shooting... that bright chrome shows the gunk so incredibly well.
Old September 5, 2012, 03:27 PM   #6
learningcurve

Yes it is true that the chrome does get dirty quickly it seems but I wonder if that isnt due to the black not showing the same amount of residue. I dont mind the dirty look to be honest I didnt buy the rifle for the chrome BCG it was something I noticed after I got it home. I just got the one I got because it was the one I wanted at the time and I liked the company.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7
Technosavant

Quote:
Yes it is true that the chrome does get dirty quickly it seems but I wonder if that isnt due to the black not showing the same amount of residue.
I'm sure that's the case; a white car looks messier than a brown one when driven down the same dirt road. The chromed bolt carrier just looks gross after a few rounds when the darker phosphated carrier doesn't look quite as bad.

Both work equally well, the chromed one cleans up a shade more easily (but then, the inside of the phosphated carriers, when chromed, clean up just as easily and that's the important part anyway).
Old September 5, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8
learningcurve

Yea that is very true. I like both my BCGs and rifles they go in. Both are accurate as I make them so that never has been a issue when I recommend brands to buddies of mine.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old September 6, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technosavant
Both work equally well, the chromed one cleans up a shade more easily (but then, the inside of the phosphated carriers, when chromed, clean up just as easily and that's the important part anyway).
+100

I have never encounter a carrier that was not chromed in the piston area. This is where they get dirty and even the dirtiest BC is easy to clean with the cleaning tools available today. The C.A.T. M4 cleaning tool makes short work of any bolt and carrier.

Old September 6, 2012, 10:25 PM   #10
bluto

My order from RRA also included the chrome BCG and , like the OP, they discontinued it while I was waiting for them to ship my upper. I ended up using a Loki Nickel Boron BCG and am very happy with it. Absolutely zero
malfunctions during the first 300 rounds using Win., Am Eagle, Federal, and some mystery milsurp ammo.
Old September 8, 2012, 11:05 AM   #11
sailskidrive

FWIW:

RRA chrome plated bolt carriers are NOT made from #158 Carpenters steel.

I bought one a while ago and later called their help desk; it took a while but eventually they confirmed that all of their BCGs are 8620.

I personally prefer the NiB treated carriers, far easier to clean up than chrome and you can practically run them almost dry.

Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old September 9, 2012, 11:14 PM   #12
Marquezj16

Quote:

I bought one a while ago and later called their help desk; it took a while but eventually they confirmed that all of their BCGs are 8620.
If you check around, most carriers are made of 8620. It's only the bolt that is made of carpenter No. 158 steel.

Here's a link that describes both Colt and RRA BCGs.

http://www.pkfirearms.com/Bolt_Assemblies/26/c
Old September 10, 2012, 09:09 AM   #13
Technosavant

The bolt carrier, although important, is not as prone to failure as the bolt if not made from 158 Carpenter steel. Generally, as long as the gas key doesn't come loose, the carrier isn't likely to be an issue.

For the bolt it can be more of a problem because of the tendency for low quality bolts to split at the cam pin hole.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:40 AM   #14
sailskidrive

Quote:
If you check around, most carriers are made of 8620. It's only the bolt that is made of carpenter No. 158 steel.
I wrote "BCG", not "carrier".
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old September 12, 2012, 09:22 AM   #15
Marquezj16

Check first sentence.

Quote:
Notice "group" is not in the sentence.

Check second sentence.

Quote:
Incorrect, the carrier is made of 8620. The bolt is carpenter 158. Bolt carrier group means the carrier, firing pin and bolt.

RRA AR15 Bolt Group Assembly The RRA AR15 bolt group is machined from 8620 carbon steel, that is heat treated. Exterior of carrier is parkerized and interior is chrome-lined. Uses a Mil-Spec gas key that is chrome-lined, heat treated and secured to the carrier with Grade 8 fasteners that are properly staked. The bolt assembly is machined from Carpenter No. 158® steel, and has a tool steel extractor that is machined from bar stock.
Old September 12, 2012, 10:07 AM   #16
sailskidrive

You're completely missing the point. A while back I bought a chrome plated RRA BCG, I called the customer service line and after a quite some time they confirmed that the entire BCG, meaning bolt, pin, key, and carrier, were made from 8620. It is possible that misinformation was conveyed... And I can see from your post that they now have actual useful information regarding the materials used available on the website.