The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1
GregInAtl

Colorizing front sights

I guess this could have gone on the general handgun forum but since I want to do this to one of my semi's, I'll put it here.

My gun has black sights on both the front and back. I want to paint or otherwise colorize the front sight. I have use finger nail polish on guns before but would prefer someting different as I can't find a nail polish color that glows enough. Would lie something that I can remove if I don't like it or want a different color.

Any suggestions?
Old August 31, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Pahoo

Seek and ye shall find !!

If you will do a historical search, you will find many posts on this subject. Ther are a number of suggestions on getter this done. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 31, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Pahoo

Deleted

Deleted
Old August 31, 2012, 02:33 PM   #4
GregInAtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
If you will do a historical search, you will find many posts on this subject. Ther are a number of suggestions on getter this done. ....
I don't meant o sound lazy or anything but I tried doing a search first before creating this post. I searched on color, then on paint and on "painted sights". As you can imagine I got 11 or 12 pages of posts, anything that had the word paint or color or sights in it. I don't think you can seach on mutiple word phrases like "painted sights" because it will find anything that has the word painted or the word sight in it. Hence the reason for the post.

Maybe I am not using the search function correctly. If you can tell me how to narrow down the search so I don't end up with an encyclopedia of posts to go through, I'd be glad to try it.

Thx
Old August 31, 2012, 02:40 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

I've used Bright Sights paint,,,

Click here please,,,

The only problem I had was that the paint had settled in the vials,,,
I had ordered it from Midway and who knows how long it sat,,,
But I eventually got it mixed properly again with a dremel.

After that it worked just fine.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 31, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Pahoo

Painting Sights

Greg,
Give this a try and did not mean to infer anything negative. It's just that there is too much stuff that you don't want to miss !! ...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/sear...archid=6359433

Be Safe !!!
Old August 31, 2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Noreaster

I tried to color the front sight of my hunting handgun, Ruger Super blackhawk, and I didn't have good luck. If you can you should try to replace the front sight.
Old August 31, 2012, 03:20 PM   #8
CPO15

Gander mountain, or similar store, fishing lure paint. Fluorescent colors but need repainting frequently as it does not appear to adhere well to metal.
Old August 31, 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
GregInAtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarond
Click here please,,,

The only problem I had was that the paint had settled in the vials,,,
I had ordered it from Midway and who knows how long it sat,,,
But I eventually got it mixed properly again with a dremel.

After that it worked just fine.

Hope this helps,,,

Aarond
That looks exactly like what I need. It even looks like my gun they are using on their website
Old August 31, 2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Walt Sherrill

If you can find them (probably at a model shop), Testor's makes a variety of Fluorescent paints -- and they're great for sights. You can get a white, green, and yellow or red, and mix your own, to get shades that work well -- and you'll have enough for more guns than you'll likely own.

The fluorescent works as well as "Bright Sights" and the paint doesn't dry out in the bottle nearly as quickly.

They results are good in low-light or bright light, but they aren't night sights.

I've used a light green on front and white on the rear. Some folks just do the front. Others just buy a front night sight (but one with a white area surrounding the tritium vial) -- that works well in bright or low light.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Amsdorf

Here is what I've found helpful:

Bright Sights.

The easiest front post to pain was on one of my 1911 gave it a dab of bright day-glow orange.

Just click on the link provided in the post.
Old September 1, 2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Master Blaster 2

Go in a Holloween store as this is the season for glow in the dark polish. Or go to a hobby lobbby store or the hobby section in Wklmart. they sell glow in the dark paints.
Old September 2, 2012, 07:43 PM   #13
MikeG

I use Testor's enamel paint for scale models. A base coat of flat white to brighten the top color and a top coat of (usually) fluorescent orange.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Chesster

Years ago I bought a bottle of Tequila Sunrise color nail polish. Still use same bottle after dozens of apps. After it dries, apply a coat of clear resin or polyurethane to seal and protect it. I also fill in front white dots with it as it gives me a quicker pick up and contrasts with the rear white dots.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old September 4, 2012, 11:26 AM   #15
vba

As Mike said, Testors. I use a bright yellow and it works well and is inexpensive.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:37 AM   #16
GregInAtl

Quote:
As Mike said, Testors. I use a bright yellow and it works well and is inexpensive.
Can it be removed if you decide to change colors or you just don't like it?
Old September 4, 2012, 12:01 PM   #17
SerenityNetworks

I also use Testors bright yellow on my Mark III 22/45. It doesn't bond well to the metal and I can pop off the dab with the tip of a pocket knife (I did so a couple times with different colors, until deciding on the yellow). I also used brilliant white on the edges of the rear sight. I've been very happy with the results.

Regards,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old September 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #18
lee n. field

Quote:
As you can imagine I got 11 or 12 pages of posts, anything that had the word paint or color or sights in it. I don't think you can seach on mutiple word phrases like "painted sights" because it will find anything that has the word painted or the word sight in it. Hence the reason for the post.
Try limiting the search to terms appearing in the title. There's a drop down for that.

For a search on "sight paint", options "search titles only" and in "Hogan's Alley" to cover all the handgun forums, I got 20 hits.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "