The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 2, 2012, 10:33 AM   #1
marine6680

TGI VZ 58

Saw a few at a local store the other day. Just looking for some info about them.

I know Czeckpoint are good to go, as they are Czech built at CZs factory.

Just don't know about the TGI stuff. I figured out the importer as TG International, but I do not see the VZ58 listed on their site. They were brand new rifles as well.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
armoredman

What other markings are on it? Does it have "Made in the Czech Republic" on the receiver? If the receiver is US built, could be something like ORF or Century made rebranded. The only two companies making Czech rifles is CZ-UB, who only offers the military select fire version to LE/governments, and Czech Small Arms, who imports through Czechpoint. CSA also used to be D-Technik, which is the other makers mark you will find.

In short - did it look like this? This is a Czechpoint rifle imported from D-Technik prior to the factory's name change, came to me a little over 4 years ago.

This is the current Czechpoint importer stamp,

Does this help?
Old September 2, 2012, 05:41 PM   #3
marine6680

That first pic is it exactly... according to my memory at least... the shop is closed on Sunday, or I would have stopped in for a second look.

I believe they wanted around $750-800 for it... memory hazy, they had Century as well, I set those back down quickly... they wanted almost as much for them.

What is a fair price for the rifle?

If they have been sitting around since before the name change, I would bet I could use that knowledge to talk them down to a reasonable price.
Old September 2, 2012, 08:15 PM   #4
armoredman

They're worth that much. As for talking them down, you can try, never hurts to try. Good luck!
Old September 2, 2012, 08:43 PM   #5
marine6680

Basically the same as the Czechpoint right? Unlike the Century...

Do I need American parts in the magazine to be compliant, or is the rifle got enough US parts in it already?

What about those VZs that fired 5.56 and used standard AR magazines, when that getting released to the general public?
Old September 3, 2012, 12:11 AM   #6
armoredman

You mean this one?

Soon, as soon as they get caught up. The AR-15 magwell adapter kits are already out, and the regular 5.56mm magazines, too, so they can fit the new pistols, (I think), but the rifles won't be too far behind.

The rifle you were looking at, if it has the marking in the first picture, it IS a Czechpoint.

Yes, you will need the floorplate and follower in the magazines - Czechpoint sells both the individual parts and complete 922 compliant magazines - $15 each ain't too bad. Bonesteele makes a good US made gas piston rod, and a few other US made/marked parts to make 922 compliance as well.
Old September 3, 2012, 02:20 AM   #7
marine6680

Kit? So I could add that after?

If so... choices choices... Would I order a 5.56 rifle or try for a cheap price on the 7.62x39...

I know my fiance is going to end up with an AR soon... I planed on building one for myself as well, but I keep coming back to the VZ58, just because its a neat little rifle, and it is different.

If I can talk them down enough, I may just get two, they had more than one.
Old September 3, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
rightside

Armoredman, that is a very nice looking weapon! Did you add the scope rail?
Old September 3, 2012, 08:12 PM   #9
armoredman

This one came with both the AR-15 magwell kit, http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produc...-15-magazines/ and the receiver rail, http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produc...ail-installed/ and scope mount, http://www.czechpoint-usa.com/produc...t-optic-mount/ included.
Yes, you can get the AR15 magwell adapter later if you want - drop in replacement.
Old September 4, 2012, 12:56 AM   #10
marine6680

So many choices!
Old September 4, 2012, 08:11 PM   #11
marine6680

Update... They were used...

There are two. One looks unfired, the other looks like it had maybe one or two mags run through it, as the magwell had a few scratches.

Wanted $725 for the like new one, and $675 for the lightly used one.

What other US parts are there that can be added to the rifle? Bonesteel offers several parts... like trigger groups.

They had 1 or 2 Century rifles...

And one odd one that had no import marks, nor manufacturing marks on the receiver. It did have a few sparse marks on the barrel around the chamber area at the back.

Last edited by marine6680; September 4, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:07 PM   #12
armoredman

The third one was probably an Ohio Rapid Fire build, or a home build. Tread warily, some are great, some are not, and the SA vz-58 is rated a difficult home build.
Good price on the lightly used version.
Old September 4, 2012, 10:45 PM   #13
marine6680

I would just stick to the two Czechpoints they have over the Century or no name version.

I am looking at these rifles really hard... just not 100% on them.

The options are build two ARs with 16in barrel and mid length gas system, for about $850-900 each...

Or get these two Czechpoints...

But what to do?

I know the AR platform pretty well, I owned one before, and then there is the military experiance... sure, I wasn't a grunt, but I was expected to be proficient with them... its a Marine thing.

There are lots of positives to the AR as a platform...

The VZ, well its a cool rifle, but my lack of familiarity means I can not address the pros and cons as well.

So that makes it hard to compare and choose... in such a situation, the default is to go with what you know, but I would love to get to know the VZ as well.

Last edited by marine6680; September 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old September 6, 2012, 12:39 AM   #14
marine6680

Taking the fiance back to the shop again this weekend, see what she thinks of them.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:50 PM   #15
armoredman

Good luck with that one, but I can say when I got my vz-58, my wife said, "Where's mine?" It took several years, but she got hers!
Old September 6, 2012, 04:38 PM   #16
marine6680

She wants so many different guns its sad... an AR-10... AR-15... 1911, all short list. LOL
Old September 9, 2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Achilles11B

Oh yeah...it must be terrible.

Does the Vz use the AK's gas system? A 5.56 version sounds pretty intriguing...
Old September 9, 2012, 02:42 PM   #18
barnbwt

The VZ's a totally different action from the AK, aside from ammo, there is no parts compatibility. In that a barrel-mounted tube delivers gas to a piston face, I guess they're similar. Being a short-stroke piston action, I believe the VZ taps gas much closer to the chamber than an AKM action.

TCB
Old September 9, 2012, 09:20 PM   #19
armoredman

If you look at the picture I posted above, you will see the gas tube/port assembly just forward of the forearm, roughly the same place the AK is located, which is one prime reason the rifle is often mistaken for an AK type rifle.
The vz-58 action is often compared more to the STG 44 than the AK, as it is true that the only compatible component between the AK/AKM and the vz-58 is the ammunition.
Old September 17, 2012, 12:18 AM   #20
Blindmike

Why not get both guns

I am lucky to own a Primary Weapon System MK116 AR-15 and I have a Czechpoint VZ-58. Both are great weapons and I would of hated to have said I will just get one and not the other. It took some time but I did get both at last. Having 2 different guns to shoot is more fun than two of the same type. Just my little bit of input.
Old September 17, 2012, 04:54 PM   #21
marine6680

Both is an option.