The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 7, 2012, 04:58 PM   #51
30Cal

Quote:
Nutshell,your eye pupil varies with light.Approx 7 mm in darkness,5mm low light,down to 2,maybe 2.5 in bright light.If the exit pupil of your scope is smaller than your eye pupil in the given light,image quality degrades.
"Degrades" I think is an understatement. Anytime your pupil moves outside of the patch of light cast by the scope ("exit pupil"), the image vignettes (goes black at one edge. So as you look off center, part of the image goes away. That's if you're close to eye pupil = exit pupil.

If your pupil is smaller than the exit pupil, then the entire edge is gone and the FOV will most likely go completely black if you look off-center. It's bordering on unusable.

If I did most of my work at dawn and dusk, I'd live and die by:

Objective/magnfication > 7
Old September 10, 2012, 10:20 AM   #52
GI Sandv

Thanks for all the responses. I don't have a specific purpose in mind with raising the questions I did. I'm just curious and trying to understand people's experience with scopes before I even consider buying one. I'm sure I'll end up with more than one. But at first, I'd like a good, utilitarian scope. There aren't many places I can shoot around here that are over a few hundred yards, so higher magnification might not be a high priority. Although I do enjoy punching paper, I'm not too worried at this point about creating ragged holes in the center of a target at 200 yards. Reasonably close to the center is fine with me. As I said, I prefer utilitarian and will likely start with something fairly simple, either a fixed 4x or 6x, or perhaps a 3-9x. Quality of glass will likely influence my decision as much as power.

I guess one other question I have is whether most/all modern day scopes retain their zero reliably. I know some cheaper red dots have problems with zero creep. I don't want to get something somewhat cheap and then find out that it doesn't retain zero. What types of characteristics affect this?

Kahr PM9, Springfiled XD9, Browning BPS 12Ga., Browning SA-22.
Old September 10, 2012, 12:32 PM   #53
4runnerman

I guess one other question I have is whether most/all modern day scopes retain their zero reliably. I know some cheaper red dots have problems with zero creep. I don't want to get something somewhat cheap and then find out that it doesn't retain zero. What types of characteristics affect this

This i have found is where Quality (cost ) comes into play. To get great tracking you are going to need to spend some green. If you sight your scope in and use hold over you will be safe with a mid range scope. Do the box test when you get it sighted in and you will see right away what kind of reliability you are going to have.
Old September 10, 2012, 06:24 PM   #54
m16tackdriver

My longest range elk kill was about 840m with my Rem 700 .300 Win Mag with a 6-24 x 50 scope. Your friend is correct about mirage, but depending on the temperature, you can still see a pretty distinct mirage at 10x too. The deserts of Iraq were notorious for it in the summertime.

The M24 I carried in Iraq had a Leupold Mk IV M3 3-10x 40 on it. It was a superb scope. The same scope was used on the M82/M107 as well. I can not speak for the Marines, but 10x scopes are for the most part the longest used on US Army standard issue sniper rifles.

In the end, 10x seems to be perfectly adequate for most applications. If you want to varmint hunt at 800m, you would do well to use something with more optical "reach".