The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 28, 2012, 10:03 AM   #1
Saltydog235

Deer Season Approaches

4 days and its Deer Season. Stands are ready. Rifles are ready. Feeders are in good shape. Food plots are green, lush and full of activity. Clothes will be washed in Scent Free and hung up to air this evening. And I'm so stoked its hard to sleep at night. Friday is going to be a long day.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
AllenJ

We still have 3 and a half weeks to wait here

Dove season opens this Saturday though so at least we get to hunt something.

Good luck, hope you get the buck of your dreams opening morning!
Old August 28, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3
tchunter

We can't get in the woods until october 1st. That's all I can think about though. My food plots are doing great and my cameras are full. My neighbor caught a big boy on camera a couple days ago. In a food plot at 2 in the afternoon. Things are looking good!
Old August 28, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
327 FM

Still a couple of weeks away here in Minnesota. I usually don't bowhunt deer this early though. I like bowhunting in the cold with snow.
Old August 28, 2012, 07:42 PM   #5
shortwave

Ohio's bow season will start the last week in Sept.

The good news is, been seeing quite a bit of activity in the clover field and close to the house. Just last week had a doe with two little twins in the backyard. The little ones were chasing each other around like a couple pups. Nipping and kicking at each other. Watched them about 20mins. from the garage.

Bad news is the poaching has already started. Two weeks ago neighbor found a very nice buck in the ditch in front of his house. Head cut off. Neighbor said he'd been watching this buck all summer long and buck was a monster. At any rate, neighbor called ODNR and warden said poaching around here seems to be heavier this year then normal. That's not good cause it's usually fairly heavy anyways. Looks like it will be a busy season.
Old August 28, 2012, 10:12 PM   #6
warbirdlover

Wisconsin bow season opens 2nd or 3rd week of September but the one week of gun hunting doesn't until the week of Thanksgiving in November after the bow hunters have taken all the good deer. And why do the bow hunters get months to hunt and us gun only hunters get one frickin week?
Old August 30, 2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Mayor Al

Indiana Deer Tag Change...Maybe.

The Indiana DNR is holding hearings as I type, with a vote to follow (tonight.) One of the items on the agenda is whether to increase the allowable doe tags to three with the one Buck and two Doe tags "Bundle" this year. That will make for a total of 4 deer total in the basic Deer license quota. You will still be able to buy up to eight additional Doe Tags after using your Basic package Quota. If the wife and I both get the Buck and three does weare allowed, I don't think I will be searching for additional Does this year.
Old August 31, 2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Saltydog235

How long are the seasons where ya'll are? What are the limits?

Ours is pretty much 4 straight months in the part of the state I hunt. The region below mine has been open since August 15 and the areas in the inland portions of the state open on Oct.1, all regions close on January 1.

We have a system of purchasing doe tags for $5.00 ea and up to 4 but you don't have to use them on the designated doe days. Limits where I live are more of a truckload type, or how many you need to eat and pay to process.

Oh well, come tomorrow I hope to be standing over the still warm corpse of the buck the hunt club president keeps sending me pictures of. Its a hammer.
Old August 31, 2012, 11:51 AM   #9
infmp32

Depends on the zone, but where I hunt it's basically one buck and unlimited doe.