The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 26, 2012, 02:46 PM   #1
wlkalong

Question for 10/22 Experts

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I am looking to buy a 10/22 compact- 16.12 inch barrel (model 1168) and replace the stock with the butler creek folding stock. I read somewhere the compact barrel tapers a bit, so I am unsure if it will fit flush with the stock or if I will have to make modifications.

I am trying to make a backpack gun that is as small as possible, while still being fully functional without having to put it back together.

Does anyone have experience with the 10/22 compact and the butler creek folder combination?

Thanks,
Old August 26, 2012, 02:50 PM   #2
Creeper

According to Butler Creek... "The barrel channel is configured for the standard Ruger factory taper contour".

C
Old August 26, 2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Eghad

Buy a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.

NRA Life Member
Old August 26, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
jmr40

Quote:
Buy a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.
Best option!

The Butler Creek stock will still work. It is a lot easier to get a thin barrel to work in a stock designed for a heavier barrel than the other way. You will at most just have a small gap between the barrel and stock. If you were trying to put a heavier barrel into a smaller barrel channel you would have to open up he stock. But even that isn't hard, I've done several.

I'm not even sure the 16" barrel is thinner. If it is, it ain't by much. My brother has the compact in a Hogue aftermarket stock. I don't recall him having any problems.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #5
wlkalong

I have looked at the take down, but I want a rifle I can carry as small as possible, but still be fully functional. I don't want to have to put it together before being able to shoot. I have seen a couple of mods using the butler creek stock and the take down rifle, which might be the best of both worlds.
Old August 27, 2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Eghad

Then buy a sling too. that way you will have the best of both worlds.

NRA Life Member
Old August 27, 2012, 05:54 PM   #7
wlkalong

Every rifle I have, except for my pellet rifle has a sling.
Old August 29, 2012, 10:58 AM   #8
berettaprofessor

If you have to modify the folding stock it's not that big a deal; I've got a Butler Creek folder modified for a .920 threaded barrel.

But don't dismiss the takedown idea; I probably couldn't unzip the pack as fast as I needed to, but if it was already out of the pack, I can snap the takedown together as fast as I can unfold the Butler stock.