The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2012, 05:02 PM   #1
1hogfan83

Is the P30 carryable?

I've really researching the P2000SK pistol but I really like the P30 line too. It really feels great in the hand. I can get one for a little less money than the P2000SK at buds. When ever I think I have my mind made up another HK comes along. Anyway, just look looking for opinions, thanks.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old September 29, 2012, 06:49 PM   #2
comn-cents

You sure can, I carry my USP Expert & Tactical in one of these often.

http://www.blade-tech.com/Inside-the...ED-pr-820.html
Old September 30, 2012, 02:33 PM   #3
ScotchMan

It is quite a bit bigger than a P2000sk. Closer to the full-size, it is just a touch larger than the P2000.

I highly recommend the P2000sk as the best subcompact carry gun made today. I wrote a review here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=493741

Some things to think about:

-If you will ever carry it against your bare skin, the P30's grip will rub against your skin and hurt. The P2000 or P2000sk are a lot more friendly there.

-Do you want to carry it year round or only with a healthy cover garment? I carry the P2000sk in the summer with just a t-shirt, but could probably only conceal a P2000 or P30 in the winter.

-The P30 does have a more ergonomic grip, but the P2000 and P2000sk are both some of the most comfortable guns I've held.

-The P30 is available with a manual safety while the P2000/sk is not.

Personally I think the P2000 line is superior for carry, and the P30 is more of a range gun or duty weapon. But certainly plenty of people carry it and it can be done. Really hard to make a wrong decision here!

NRA Instructor
NRA Member

Last edited by ScotchMan; September 30, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old September 30, 2012, 04:29 PM   #4
1hogfan83

I'll probably just go with my original choice, the 2000SK. I just have to find a good pistolsmith to lighten up the trigger to my likening.
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old September 30, 2012, 05:19 PM   #5
ScotchMan

In that vein, there are two easy things you can do yourself to significantly lighten it. One, which is the easiest and lowest risk, is to replace the firing pin block spring (sometimes abbreviated FPBS). You can get a lighter version from hkparts.net for a couple bucks. In my opinion, this is a modification that should be done to most HKs, because it lightens the trigger a pound or two at no cost to anything. It took me about 2 minutes to do, going into it knowing nothing. Now I could do it in about 30 seconds.

The second is replacing the trigger return spring (sometimes abbreviated TRS). This is the spring that pushes the trigger outwards when you let go of it. Again, a lighter spring here lightens the overall pull. Except here, you end up losing microseconds off your reset time since there is less spring power resetting the trigger. It is also a slightly more difficult modification, because you have to get a very small spring into a very small space under some tension.

Both of these mods together will take 3-4lbs off your pull. If you need more than that I'm not sure what you're doing. My gun has the light FPBS and the stock TRS and is about a 5lb pull which I find to be ideal.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old September 30, 2012, 05:24 PM   #6
TunnelRat

I'd do somewhat of an amendment to what Scotch suggests.

I think the light FPBS is a must, awesome advice.

For me swapping the TRS is a huge pain the butt and I've done it dozen times now and know a lot of tricks. My advice is to instead swap the hammer spring for a 12 lb one. This is the weight HK uses for their competition kit. In 1500 rounds through 2 P2000s I never had a light hit using them. Can be gotten from Wolff springs or on HKparts, but it's much cheaper from Wolff. This also keeps the reset snappy by leaving the heavier TRS.
Old October 1, 2012, 02:04 AM   #7
Micahweeks

I know one officer in Mississippi that carries the P30L on and off duty. He also has an HK45. He says he has no complaints but carries outside the waist, not inside. In Mississippi, "printing" isn't really an issue since the state code has that interesting phrase "concealed in whole or in part" written in it. We tend not to worry too much about that sort of thing unless we are traveling out of state.
Old October 1, 2012, 03:01 AM   #8
Patriot328

I carry mine year round in a comp-tac MTAC holster. Conceals well and I can forget it's there. I don't wear it on bare skin, though. That awesome grip feels good in the hands but not on the hip....
Old October 1, 2012, 03:11 AM   #9
sourdough44

I'd just spend a bit more & get the sk. I'd also get the LEM trigger for concealed carry.
Old October 1, 2012, 07:18 AM   #10
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
-If you will ever carry it against your bare skin, the P30's grip will rub against your skin and hurt. The P2000 or P2000sk are a lot more friendly there.

-Do you want to carry it year round or only with a healthy cover garment? I carry the P2000sk in the summer with just a t-shirt, but could probably only conceal a P2000 or P30 in the winter.

-The P30 does have a more ergonomic grip, but the P2000 and P2000sk are both some of the most comfortable guns I've held.

-The P30 is available with a manual safety while the P2000/sk is not.
since i don't have any experience with the p30, i'm going to respond to these as if we were talking about the ppq, as they are EXTREMELY similar in all the aspects talked about in this quote.

there is no discomfort whatsoever carrying against bare skin.

i carry mine with nothing more hefty than a polo (a tshirt is the only thing i can't conceal it with).

i've held and shot the p2000sk. it is too small to be a comfortable grip (and that's coming from someone who loves to shoot the pps) and in no way ergonomic.

IMO your holster is your safety. get a good kydex holster and a safety isn't an issue.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old October 1, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11
thedudeabides

The p30 is a big gun compared to the p2000sk. It also has a coarse grip material that may irritate if you carry iwb.

It doesnt seem to have been designed as a ccw gun like the sk.

Walthers resemble the new HK p series, but the two are not interchangeable-especially with the trigger design and hammer operation oh the HKs vs the Walthers with the strikers.
Old October 1, 2012, 09:24 AM   #12
HKGuns

Sure it is....I do it all the time.