The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 25, 2012, 03:10 AM   #1
mohr308

Glass media for tumbler?

On a recent trip to harbor freight, I was looking at the price of walnut shell and noticed they have glass media. Has anyone ever tried this before? I was thinking of picking some up and mixing it with my walnut shell for the final tumble.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lbs-...dia-46426.html
Old August 25, 2012, 04:17 AM   #2
impalacustom

I wouldn't recommend it, if you've ever bead blasted you'll know why. The stuff goes everywhere, literally, and it takes compressed air to blow it off. Also if any oil or anything that attracts dust is on the case it will cause the beads to clump up.
Old August 25, 2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Hammerhead

No.
The glass is far harder than brass - it would wear it, and it would transfer to your dies and maybe to your gun too.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

I am with Hammerhead on this one. I would be worried about picking up some of the glass dust and then scratching my dies.

I have bought the Harbor Freight Walnut before and mixed it with the corn cob media. Still have about 39 pounds of the stuff left. Works great.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:53 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Mohr308,

That's a blast media designed for use in bead blasting where it is driven into the metal at high velocity by compressed air. Great for removing rust from steel or putting a matte surface on stainless steel. It's lower mass and lower hardness and sharpness than abrasives used in rock tumbling might work out for you as rotary tumbler polish, but I also suspect it may act sort of like a cushion to the brass, making the action very slow. In a liquid slurry in a rotary tumbler, though, it might do ok? I just don't know.

You definitely don't want to try this stuff in a vibratory tumbler. The glass dust easily becomes airborne and inhaling it can cause silicosis, which is kind like having black lung or asbestos exposure. It's not a good idea to let it dust without a vacuum dust filtering system grabbing the dust from the air.
NRA Patron Member
Old August 25, 2012, 06:05 PM   #6
maggys drawers

I tried it....once. It left the cases with a finely scratched satin finish.

Too abrasive.
Old August 26, 2012, 08:25 AM   #7
mohr308

Thank you! I'm glad I asked first! I will stick with my corn cob and walnut
Old August 26, 2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Ozzieman

Something you might want to try is Reptile litter box walnut shells.
I picked up a 15 pound bag at a local pet store last week for 9$. I heard about using it from a friend.
The big advantage I see is that it’s so small it does not plug the primer hole. This isn’t a problem for pistol rounds since I clean before I size but on rifle cases I clean then size then clean again. With litter box product I don’t get any plugged primer holes and the most amazing thing has been the primer pockets. They are coming out like I used a primer pocket brush.
It was a little dusty at first but I put a couple of cut up dryer sheets and the dust stuck to the sheets.
The brass came out very shiny and this was with no polish of any kind.
So far I have cleaned 500+ 223’s and a couple of hundred 30-06 and it’s still going strong.
Old August 26, 2012, 09:00 AM   #9
mohr308

Ozzieman

I bought my walnut shell from the pet store also, its nice and fine and shines up my brass nice!