The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2012, 01:00 AM   #1
poline

HOT LOAD!

lELLIER & Bellot 115gain FMJ.....1280fps.
Wolf (WPA) 115 polymer coating (copper Jacketed) FMJ.....1234fps.
Wolf (WPA) 115gain FMJ......1150FPS.
Remington 115 (MC).........1135FPS.
My testing shows that everything over 1209fps....(Accurate #7) causes the primers to fold back on themselfs, have a ridge, with 1230fps to 1288fps haveing extreme ridges. This tells me that they are to hot, therefore, the above top two commerial loads surprize me. They do, however, interest me because I want to make up rds that are not intended to be target rds. On the other hand, my good sense tells me to use my 8.4 gains of Accurate #7 that gives me an average of 1174fps.
CAUTION: The above post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.
Any thoughts or replys from the forum on this post are greatly appreciated. Thank You, in advance.
Old August 20, 2012, 03:34 AM   #2
impalacustom

Huh???
Old August 20, 2012, 09:46 AM   #3
ScottRiqui

I'll just add that it's sometimes hard to duplicate factory velocities with off-the-shelf powders.

Remember that muzzle velocity is dependent on the *average* pressure acting on the bullet as it travels down the barrel, not the peak pressure. If the factory has designed their powder to maintain a fairly high (but still safe) pressure for a long period of time during the bullet's travel, they can get impressive muzzle velocities without overstressing the gun's components, or causing pressure signs like what you're seeing on your primers.

On the other hand, if you use the wrong powder, you can get a short-duration pressure spike that may damage the gun, even though the resultant muzzle velocity might be fairly low.
Old August 20, 2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Sevens

NOTE: My newest copy of Accurate's published data is calling 8.8gr of AA#7 a max load, and your load is under that.

Even still, if you are noticing pressure signs, well, you know the drill.

Please keep in mind that SMALL changes in a round like the 9mm has the ability to make drastic differences. COAL changes or mixed brass with differing capacities can take one of your rounds that is "at the red line" to "OVER THE RED LINE!" in a big hurry, and that's not even touching on the idea that if your measure should happen to bridge a powder charge and take less from one and add more to the next -- you could be in for a nasty surprise.

Some platforms are better for a little hotrodding than others, but those are decisions to be made at your bench, for sure.

9mm is not a great place to do a lot of hotrodding, IMNSHO, but many IPSC guys in years past have wildly treaded and trampled all over that ground ahead of you.

Good luck, be safe and update your thread.