The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 19, 2012, 08:02 PM   #1
steelstring41

If a gun was purchased in my wife's name...

Arizona resident here and was just wondering if a gun my wife and I purchased in her name can be legally used as an EDC (concealed carry) by me without running into any kind of legal trouble down the road should the need arise to use the firearm.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Nope. Arizona doesn't register guns.

Some states tie carry permits to specific guns, but Arizona doesn't do that, either. In fact, they don't even require a permit.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
...Some states tie carry permits to specific guns, but Arizona doesn't do that, either. In fact, they don't even require a permit.
You can still be better off with a permit. With a permit, you may carry concealed into a place that serves alcohol, as long as it's not properly posted and you don't drink. Without a permit, you may not. I have an Arizona permit and find the rule very convenient when I'm visiting and going out to eat.

But you can still use your wife's gun, unless she objects, of course.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old August 19, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4
steelstring41

Thanks for the info and quick response. I had a feeling I would be be alright carrying the gun.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:38 PM   #5
steelstring41

Thanks for the reply Frank. I don't really go out to bars, but if I did I would just leave the gun at home.
Old August 19, 2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstring41
Thanks for the reply Frank. I don't really go out to bars, but if I did I would just leave the gun at home.
I don't think he was talking about bars. I believe he was talking about restaurants that serve alcohol.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; August 21, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Typo
Old August 19, 2012, 09:38 PM   #7
steelstring41

You're right, my mistake. I misinterpreted what he said. To be honest the extent of my concealed carry is for walks with the dog around the neighborhood and such. I happen to live in an area of town that is not very friendly. Just last week while on a walk past some high school/college aged guys I distinctly heard the sound of one of them racking the slide on his gun...just as I pass the group of them. I was disturbed to say the least. I felt a bit threatened by it.
Old August 20, 2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Jim March

As long as it's not pink or a "Ladysmith".

Old August 21, 2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Hansam

Every now and then (when its freaking hot outside and I'm wearing just a pair of shorts and t-shirt) I would stick my wife's LCP in my pocket rather than put on my 1911. I do miss that little gun for its concealability.

On the converse my wife now has decided she doesn't want to EDC a small gun so she usually ends up sticking one of my 1911s in her purse or IWB depending on what she's wearing and where she's going.

In WI the way I was told by our county DA so long as the other spouse doesn't object to the use its legal since we're married/living in the same household etc. Its akin to a parent letting their child use a firearm for hunting/range use.
Old August 21, 2012, 10:19 PM   #10
steelstring41

Hey, I can actually see an advantage to a man using a pink gun. Heck you wouldn't even need to fire the thing because the bad guy would become so distracted from his laughing at the sight of it that you could just run up and drop kick him.
Old August 22, 2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Frank Ettin
Staff

And I think that brings us to the end.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread