The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 17, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1
bowlbuilder

Colt "Z" gun??

Years ago I purchased a 6" nickel plated python. On the left side of the frame near the front of the trigger guard it is stamped with a Z. The salesman claimed this designated it as a salesmans sample and was guaranteed not to have been fired. My questions are: Is this true? If not, what does the Z stamp designate? Does this add value to the piece? The gun looks flawless, any guess on what it might be worth? Thank you.
Old August 17, 2012, 09:57 PM   #2
Jim Watson

There are a lot of inspector's marks on guns that have no significance outside the factory. I never heard the Z = salesman's sample legend.
Buy the gun, not the story.
If you are selling, let your conscience be your guide.
Old August 18, 2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Here's the official word from the manager of the Colt Custom Shop:

"That "Z" stamp was used when Colt sold a gun as used. The guns were sold with no warranty. The Z was to let Colt know if the gun ever came back with a warranty concern that the gun was sold with no warranty.

There was many reasons for the Z. The guns may have been samples or show guns or even customer buy backs. All got run through product service before they were sold to make sure they were ok and that is who stamped the guns.
Brent"