The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 13, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
smokiniron

Crimping 30-30 with a 30-06 crimp die???

Greetings....

I'm reloading some 30-30 with Hornady's FTX rounds in 160 gr. I need a crimp die, as the bullets are way too loose. My equipment is Lee progressive and a Lee hand press for low volume work-ups.
Can I use my Lee 30-06 crimp die to crimp 30-30? I'm only asking since the bullets are both .308", and the crimp is only at the tippy-top of the case.
Am I nutz? Or maybe OK....
Thanks!
Old August 13, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

I have no experience with reloading for either so I am unsure. Though off the top of my head I think the .30-30 would be too short to go far enough into the '06 die for crimping. Though if you have all of your brass to a uniform length then you should be able to crimp effectively with the seating die you have. Some seat all of the bullets to length then crimp with a roll crimp for lever actions to keep the bullet from being pushed too deep while in the magazine.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
judgecrater

crimp

The 30-30 is too short to reach the crimp portion of the 30-06 die. But the bigger question is why is the bullet too loose? If the brass is properly resized the bullet should be very tight without a crimp. I have never crimped any of my rifle bullets and have never had a problem. If after seating your bullet it is not tight, there is a major problem that crimping will not fix.
Old August 13, 2012, 06:25 PM   #4
m&p45acp10+1

Judge I know of two guys that reload .30-30 Win. If being loaded into the tube magazine causes setback in the bullet they crimp inot the cannulure. I know one of them does this for that reason. He also says he uses the minimum crimp he can get away with without having the bullets set back. I have watched him load, and loaded a couple myself. Bullet pull is fine. They are being pushed back by a spring pressing the rounds infront of them.

Oh and I have not crimped a single one of the bullets I have fired in any of the rifles I own.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
smokiniron

Addendum to my question....

I found a 30-30 factory crimp die for 11 bucks. After looking at it, I believe my question about using a 30-06 die was ill-informed. Mea Culpa!
But, the tube fed issue is exactly why I want to crimp. Can't have the bullets walking in the case. I didn't re-size because these cases came from my Savage 336. Read that re-sizing is not necessary under these circumstances. BUT, I maybe should have re-sized the neck so the initial fit was a bit better....
Any advice from those more experienced is ALWAYS appreciated.
Thanks.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Hawg

You can neck resize if it's going back in the same gun but you can't get away with not resizing at all.
Old August 16, 2012, 05:08 PM   #7
wncchester

"Can I use my Lee 30-06 crimp die to crimp 30-30?"

Since you have both the die and the cartridge why don't you try it and tell us?
Old August 16, 2012, 05:14 PM   #8
89blazin

IMHO, I would full length resize them all. I reload the same bullet for my Marlin 336, and have reloaded some brass 7 times, FLR each time. Neck tension is more important than crimping, especially if you are looking to crimp because the bullets are loose fitting.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
m&p45acp10+1

You have to resize the brass. If not you will not be able to have enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place to crimp it. If they are going back into the same bolt action rifle then they can be neck sized a couple of times before you will have to full length resize them again once it gets difficult to close the bolt on a loaded round.

For a Lever or pump action to feed the rounds properly you will more likely than not need to full length resize every round ever time or they will not feed properly.

As to the crimping part if they have good neck tension measure them. Load them till the magazine is full. Carefuly work the lever in a safe place, with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. Chamber, and extract each round. Measure them again. If they more than .02 inches deeper then a light crimp would be reccomended to keep them from setting back.
Old August 16, 2012, 06:06 PM   #10
farmerboy

Go and re read post #3.
Old August 16, 2012, 07:20 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Yes sir , it would appear that poster #3 probably doesn't reload for a lever gun with a tube magazine . Levers and revolvers are the only guns I crimp for too !
Old August 16, 2012, 11:44 PM   #12
farmerboy

T

If bullet is loose either not sized right, wrong bullets or worn out brass. Just adding crimp won't help.

Last edited by farmerboy; August 17, 2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Because
Old August 17, 2012, 03:55 AM   #13
impalacustom

The magazine spring isn't pushing the bullets back, it's the recoil when you fire the rifle. A 180gr bullet tends to not move as much as the 90gr piece of brass. If you don't have a bushing set of dies you can't adjust neck tension. What kind of dies do you have, FL, Neck size only or FL Bushing set.
1. FL size the brass.
2. Ream the inside of the neck
3. Adjust seating depth to desired depth
4. Back seater off a few good turns, screw die down a little at a time and look at crimp, when happy lock die, then screw seating stem back down to bullet.

No you can't use a 30-06 die to crimp a 30-30, the neck on a 30-30 is approximately 100 thousands longer than the 30-06 so the die will contact the neck before you get a good crimp.
Old August 17, 2012, 01:54 PM   #14
farmerboy

If bullets are snug by crimping alone then you've already goofed somewhere. If you want a crimp then fine but I'd suggest you find the problem to the loose bullets first.
Old August 17, 2012, 05:30 PM   #15
smokiniron

Solved it... I found a 30-30 crimping die locally. I re-sized the neck, loaded, and did a light crimp to avoid bullet creep in the tube.
Thanks all....
Old August 17, 2012, 06:56 PM   #16
BruceM

If you are going to neck size only, check to make sure each finished round will cycle smoothly thru the action. I never partial resize hunting ammunition. One other thing, be sure all cases are trimmed to the same length. When crimping rounds which use very thin brass such as .30-30, .35 Remington and similar rounds, it is very easy to crumple the case shoulder if the case lengths are uneven. If you crumple the shoulder even just a smidge, the finished round won't chamber.

Bruce
Old August 18, 2012, 10:14 AM   #17
smokiniron

BruceM comments

Yup, appreciated!
The cases are from my firearm only. I did trim to length, though they weren't stretched to any significant degree, since this was their first firing. The shoulders were all pristine.
Always a good reminder about what to watch for, though.
I might find some range time next Tuesday at the local police range. I'll check these (Hornady FTX) and some '06 Hornady SST loads then.
Thanks again!