The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 12, 2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Hosty79

Berry mfg. bullets and .40s&w

I bought some Berry .40 S&W bullets and some Power Pistol powder and my manuals don't list loads for power pistol. I was hoping someone could give me starting and max loads for the 180gr jacketed RN and HP bullets. Any help would be much appreciated until I can update my manuals.
Old August 12, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Staff

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx?gtypeid=1
-The Architect
-----
He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not lose.
-Jim Eliott, paraphrasing Philip Henry.
Old August 12, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
lamarw

If you don't get an answer here, email Berry's or Power Pistol. I recently emailed Jay at Berry's with a question and had a response the next morning. Great customer service~
Old August 12, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Sevens

Quote:
I was hoping someone could give me starting and max loads for the 180gr jacketed RN and HP bullets.
First -- there exists no such animal as published starting and maximum loads for Berry's plated bullets. There are many published loads for lead bullets and quite a bit more for jacketed bullets, and there are a very few data sources published for Ranier plated bullets, but I've never in my life seen true published data for Berry's bullets.

That means we can offer our experience, but we can't call them true starting and maximum loads unless we have test barrels with pressure measuring equipment and it's probably safe to say that none of us have that. (too bad, because that would be terrific! )

Secondly, it's important to note that you do NOT have "jacketed" bullets as you said in your post. Blame me as being a stickler for details, but it's important to know that you've got a very thinly electroplated bullet.

Berry's makes great bullets and I've bought many thousands of them in a slew of different diameters and weights, but they are NOT jacketed bullets.

My records indicate that I have loaded just under four thousand of the .40 cal Berry's plated FLAT POINT bullets with Power Pistol in .40 S&W. These are not exactly the same as the shape you have, so don't take my COAL as a recipe you should use-- I include the COAL just for the sake of information.

I run them with 6.4 grains of Power Pistol and loaded to 1.132" COAL in Winchester brass, lit of with a CCI-500 small pistol non-magnum primer.

I have not yet had a chance to chronograph these loads, but they aren't wimpy. Getting some chrono numbers is on my to-do list, but they are safe and fine running loads.

If you wish to try my load, do it the safe & smart way: consider my load a maximum, and start by reducing it by 10%. So build your load with 5.7 grains of Power Pistol and a 180gr Berry's plated slug, and increase your powder charge by 0.3 grains until you get to 6.4 grains. At that point -- decide if you want to go higher.

Hope that gives you somewhere to start.
Old August 13, 2012, 01:04 AM   #5
BDS-THR

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq-q21-c1...d_Bullets.aspx
Quote:
FAQ: Load Data for Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets
Currently published load data is limited to some calibers by Accurate, Western Powders and Hodgdon. We are working with these companies to get data published for all of our bullets.

We recommend using hard cast load data or start with mid-range jacketed data. Make sure data is below 1250fps unless you are using a Thick-Plated bullet that we list a higher max velocity for like the 9mm 124gr HBRN-TP that can be shot to 1500fps in open class guns like a .38 Super. Keep in mind that since our plated bullet has the same pressure curve as a hard cast bullet, the published cast data will be very close to what you will get with our plated bullets. If you use Jacketed data with our plated bullets you can get from 5% - 8% increase in velocity using that data.

Other than the data from Western and Accurate for the 9mm and .40S&W there is no printed data available.

If you have questions regarding loading for our bullets email us at jay@askberrys.com
Old August 13, 2012, 03:01 AM   #6
dunerjeff

When I did run Berry's ,I always used Jacketed data, but stayed under the max by 10%-15%. Several of them I even ran basicaly full loads( slow work up always) without trouble or any sign of pressure ect... It is best though to stay under full though.Best accuracy usually was at lower charges anyway.
I quit using Power Pistol in the .40 because of the rediculous sharp recoil. Good accuracy,but harsh. I liked AA#5 or WSF, and a few others.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:47 AM   #7
Hosty79

Thanks everyone for the info. I should have what I need to get started.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Hammerhead

We have been waiting a long time for good data on plated bullets. Seems like that should have been available from the get go.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:42 PM   #9
amamnn

Quickload has load info for Rainier plated bullets and has had it for years. As much as you trust QL +/- you can use the same data for Berry bullets. I have done just that for several thousands of rounds not just in .40 SW but nearly all the common handgun calibers.................
Old August 15, 2012, 06:56 PM   #10
testuser

My Hornady books says 8.4 grains MAX for 1150 fps for FMJ. For Berry's, I'd load 10% under, so 7.5 grains. If you want higher velocities, then you'll need a slower burning powder...the best for 10mm are Blue Dot and AA#9.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Sevens

"the BEST" for 10mm? I'd argue that!

I like Longshot in 10mm, but I use a lot of Power Pistol. IMR-800X may be -THE- velocity king in 10mm, but you need a band of elves on staff to hand weigh each charge because God nor man has made a tool capable of metering 800-X.
Old August 16, 2012, 09:54 PM   #12
testuser

I haven't tried Longshot in the 10, yet. Blue Dot has always given me high velocities with accuracy, so I've just stuck with it, plus I use it in my .357 and .44 loads.