The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 12, 2012, 06:41 AM   #1
jason41987

AK stock options? right side folding or fixed?

hey everyone.. putting together an aK-74 kit soon, had a thread on here about it... anyway, an issue im having is deciding on the stock i want to use.. since ill probably go with a side-mount optics, i cannot go with the left side folding stock i wanted.. and good optics are more important than a folding stock

so... my options are either a fixed stock, or some type of right side folder.. i could get a right-side folding trunnion similar to those on the polish rifles, but it doesnt appear anyone makes an aftermarket stock on this trunnion, theyre all for fixed trunnion AKs... seems pointless to me to buy a folding stock that adapts a conventional trunnion into a side folder when you can get a side folding trunnion to do it all for less weight.. but whatever

so what sort of stocks should i look into?... if i can find a good right side folder id go that route, if not, id just stick with a fixed polymer.. or maybe a fixed triangle stock to save a bit more weight
Old August 12, 2012, 07:31 AM   #2
spacecoast

Unless you know that a certain fixed stock results in the ideal length of pull for you, I don't see any reason not to go with a collapsible stock. Mine is a Tapco, and I am very pleased with it, but there are more expensive ones available as well.
Old August 12, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3
jason41987

i would only have an interest in a folding stock for storage purposes... collapsable stocks dont help much for storage, and if i cant have that, then id rather have something absolutely rock solid that could survive being used as a club
Old August 13, 2012, 02:09 AM   #4
halfcocked

The Romanian folding stocks will work with a standard wood stock trunnion. If you don't like the one, you can always switch to the other, or can change it for something different, etc. The cheek weld on the metal folder isn't the best but can be improved with some para cord on it. I don't mind it all that much though. The portability is nice though.
Old August 13, 2012, 07:16 AM   #5
Crow Hunter

The difference between a fully collapsed 6920 and a folding stock Polytech AKS 762 is 4 inches.

I have owned a right side Galil style folding stocked AK since 1998.

The adaptability of the collapsible stock is more useful than the additional storage options that 4" gives you. The only time I have ever used the folding option on the AK is when sticking it in the trunk along with a bunch of other rifles/junk and for fooling around shooting from the hip. The stock is not as comfortable to use, especially in a hurry (get your cheek in the wrong place and it HURTS and the fixed length of pull is longer than it needs to be, especially wearing winter clothing.

The collapsing feature on the 6920 is used all the time. When I shoot from prone, I shoot all the way out, when shooting standing 1 notch in, when it is cold and I am wearing a heavy coat, I subtract one from each notch and still get the same cheek weld.

I would go collapsible over folding any day of the week and 2x on Sunday.

Unless I can get both, like the SCAR.

By the way, using a rifle as a club is a bad reason to pick a stock. Any wooden/synthetic stock swung hard enough to do damage to a person will likely be severly damaged by the impact. Remember the same force imparted to the person will be imparted to the tool impacting it.

Good luck.
Old August 13, 2012, 07:21 AM   #6
spacecoast

Quote:
I would go collapsible over folding any day of the week and 2x on Sunday
I have to agree, I have a long length of pull (15"+) and installing the collapsible stock on my AK made a world of difference in shootability.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
chris in va

Ditto. It won't look right having a collapsible on an AK, but it's awfully darn useful.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
RedBowTies88

Battfield wood pickup sets are another low cost and really cool option.

Just throwing it out there... thats whats on my saiga.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Barber2678

Get one that folds and is collapsible. There are several to choose from. Best of both words.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
tahunua001

fixed tend to beat your shoulder up pretty good as do the wire stocks and underfolders but the side folders negate that quite a bit. however I would recommend a left folder over a right folder. the right folders cover the ejection port and can interfere with the charging handle making it so you can't fire while collapsed. most shooters don't need to be able to fire while collapsed but it's nice to know you at least have that option.
Bean counters told me I couldn't fire a man for being in a wheelchair, did it anyway. Ramps are expensive.-Cave Johnson.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Crow Hunter

Quote:
fixed tend to beat your shoulder up pretty good as do the wire stocks and underfolders but the side folders negate that quite a bit. however I would recommend a left folder over a right folder. the right folders cover the ejection port and can interfere with the charging handle making it so you can't fire while collapsed. most shooters don't need to be able to fire while collapsed but it's nice to know you at least have that option.
Depends on the type.

The Galil style right side folding stocks don't block the ejection port and can be fired folded. You can't hit anything with it, but it is fun.

Good luck.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:26 PM   #12
AK103K

If the fixed stock, or wire stock too for that matter, are beating you up, its not the guns fault. Youre not shouldering the gun properly.

Unlike many of the aftermarket AK folders, the Romainian (and German) wire side folders dont interfere with the controls, and the gun can be worked with the stock open or closed. They are also rock solid, open or closed. Its also the "correct" LOP, and will match the standard wood stock. They are easily swapped out if you dont like them. They are also very shootable when closed, if you use the sling round your neck to steady the gun.

Personally, I prefer the AK100 seies folders, which are really just a folding fixed stock, but if you use a side mout optic, youre screwed. The Romainian or German wire folders are your next best bet.

Zeitgeist - The Movie
Old August 14, 2012, 12:20 AM   #13
jason41987

whether i go fixed or folded was mostly trying to determine which trunnion i should rivet into the build.. however, doing more research i looked at the ACE right side folding stocks and the standard polish right side folders, and folded theyre the same overall length.. and ive seen mods where people hack the block end off of a fixed stock, drill it out and install a ACE stock adapter to mount the fixed stock on a folding hinge mechanism

so what ive decided to do is not to hack the tang off of the trunnion and install the ACE adapter, but actually purchase the ACE trunnion itself thats riveted into the receiver in place of the trunnion, this will allow me to preserve my trunnion in un modified condition and store seperately, and allows me to go with a right side folding mechanism, with a modified polymer stock if i choose to, but also allows me to have an AR-15 side folding adapter, or a fixed stock

so this gives me the most options with no added work beyond the initial assembly of the rifle.. i will probably modify the polymer AK stock to fit on this as a right side folder, and looking at a project like this, it doesnt block the charging handle and can be fired folded, though its difficult to get to the trigger.. could cut a notch in the stock for my finger if it was important, but as i said, its mostly for storage

my other option is to use a triangle or beryl type stock on the side with a paracord wrap around it.. which is something i might just do.. im not sure if the triangle stock would interfere with the carrier or not though

but yeah.. my decision is the use the ACE trunnion sold by ak builder