The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 11, 2012, 08:08 PM   #1
Husqvarna

Where are all those videos of middleeastern dudes shooting big bore rifles from?

Where are all those videos of middleeastern dudes shooting big bore rifles from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxMlL333_Y

this is just one of many

some white older dudes speaking german? in the middle there. some english english accents

as the video states it is a 700 nitro express
Old August 11, 2012, 08:25 PM   #2
TripHlx

Not sure where the shooting is taking place, but I would be lying if I said I don't want to touch off that rifle at least once. If the 'information' attached to all of these videos is correct, it's chambered in .577 Tyrannosaur, sold and developed by A-Square Ammunition.

A-Square seems to make some interesting stuff, but so expensive it makes me goggle at the product listings.

The Tyrannosaur chambered in A-Squares Hannibal rifle is supposed to provide around 220lbs of free recoil before recoil reducing measures are taken, using a 750gr .585 diameter bullet.

I'll never own one, don't really care to, but I would gladly shoot one if provided.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
armoredman

Sounds like a great rifle to shoot...from a tripod. Yeah, I've seen the videos, and judging by the videos, the sole purpose of the rifle seems to hurt the shooter. Pass.
Old August 11, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4
drail

I would bet they're in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. It was a cruel prank to hand these guys a rifle like that, I am sure none of them had any idea what they getting into. Just like the guys who give their girlfriends a .44 Mag. to shoot the first time they fire a handgun and laugh when it cracks them in the forehead.
Old August 11, 2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Bud Helms
Staff

http://www.accuratereloading.com/index.html
Old August 11, 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
armoredman

That certainly looks like the same place, different viewpoint.
Old August 12, 2012, 12:11 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

That is the same place, it is in the United Arab Emirates.

As TripHlx said, the title of the video is incorrect as most of them are actually shooting the .577 T-Rex. There is a German professional in one of the videos who does shoot the .700 NE, and he handles it very well.
Old August 12, 2012, 02:18 AM   #8
mete

That should teach you to not shoot heavy recoiling guns from the bench .Stand up and lean into it. Frequent shooting of those rifles can cause detached retinas, neck injury, shoulder injury.
The website mentioned is a good one for shooting and hunting !!
Old August 12, 2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Bud Helms
Staff

I haven't cruised that website in years, but they used to have some of the most interesting African game shots I have ever seen.
Old August 14, 2012, 06:09 AM   #10
akguy1985

I've watched some of those videos on youtube. biggest gun i've ever fired was a Finn Lahti anti-tank gun in 20mm vulcan. Kicked like a 12 gauge slug load.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:26 AM   #11
spodwo

I had a co worker try to tell me that an edited version of the first video was a terrorist sniper shooting at US troops...gads - ignorance and internet beliefs.

As to that rifle - WHY would anyone want to try to shoulder that weapon? KEERIPES!!!
Old August 15, 2012, 11:02 AM   #12
Mal H
Staff

"WHY would anyone want to try to shoulder that weapon?"

Very good question. If you shoulder a rifle, and you no longer have a shoulder after you fire it, was it worth the experience?

Although, there are those who have the technique down pat, and it is a technique probably learned the hard way. As I mentioned above, there is one shooter in their collection of videos who could handle it or a similar rifle. I believe he was a German PH named "Dieter". Some of the Norwegians came close.
Old August 15, 2012, 06:23 PM   #13
Avenger

Sooner or later, the Great White Hunter will miss his shot and panic while trying to reload...that's when the guide needs to have something capable of stopping 20,000lbs of SERIOUSLY annoyed charging elephant RIGHT THE HECK NOW.
Old August 15, 2012, 07:11 PM   #14
spodwo

I handled a double barreled elephant gun once. Definitely an older model from the ealy 1900s. What shocked me was overall - how light it was. I can't recall the caliber but it may have been a 450 NE but regardless - I believe it would have hurt to shoot.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:03 PM   #15
johnbt

Did the Huffington Post actually buy the Accurate Reloading forums from Sheikh Saeed MH Al Maktoum of Dubai?

www.accuratereloading.com/aolarmerger.pdf

His brother is an Olympic champion,

"At the 2004 Summer Olympics he won the double trap event and finished fourth in the trap event."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_M...her_Al_Maktoum

...which is what I was googling to get the year right and found the Huffington sale reference.

John
Old September 18, 2012, 11:34 AM   #16
Husqvarna

they carried their rifles, safaris/hunts were mostly done by foot, no horses/mules etc
Old September 19, 2012, 07:18 AM   #17
mete

The 'real' guns - 500NE and 600 NE weighed 14-16 lbs and were carried by the 'gun carrier'. Whatever you have will seem a bit small when you're charged by a big elephant from 30 yds !