The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2012, 04:49 PM   #26
Mac Sidewinder

Thanks GP100man for the advice. I will try again with a small copper rod (shaped) and see what happens. If that doesn't work I will try using brakleen and trans fluid. Do I have to worry about these hurting the stainless finish?

Mac
Old August 19, 2012, 11:48 AM   #27
ltc444

My father used to use a Mil Surplus FMJ to remove copper fouling from his barrel.
Old August 19, 2012, 02:41 PM   #28
GP100man

No , blued is a different story ,some Brakleen/carb cleaners strip it instantly !
Old August 19, 2012, 10:23 PM   #29
Sport45

Boretech Eliminator is another good copper solvent that won't hurt the barrel.

I'll pile on with the other good folks who suggested using a brass rod instead of wood. I've even used stainless steel tubing wrapped in electrical tape in a pinch.

Don't try to shoot it out as suggested above. That's a good way to bulge your barrel. It might work, but the risk isn't worth the possible reward.
Old August 20, 2012, 12:07 AM   #30
DaleA

The wood verses metal dowels debate was solved for me (in favor of metal) when I saw a picture posted by Frankenmauser here:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495224

Post number 6.
Old August 22, 2012, 02:05 AM   #31
Mac Sidewinder

Well I tried a 5/16 brass rod but can't get enough purchase on the half moon ridge to dislodge it. I went a head and sent it back to Ruger today. I have never sent a gun through UPS before. They told me that since it is a gun, their regulations says that it has to go 2nd day air. Wow that cost $85 to do. I will let you know what Ruger says when they contact me.

Mac
Old August 22, 2012, 08:21 PM   #32
GP100man

Shipping guns to manufacturers has always been expensive (next day or 2nd)

I bet I had 1k in shippin alone in a Python to Colt trying to keep it timed
Old September 7, 2012, 06:35 PM   #33
Mac Sidewinder

Finally heard from Ruger today! They told me that there was a machining defect in the barrel and were going to replace the entire revolver with a brand new one, free of charge. All I had to do was give them my FFL transfer agent and they would send it to him. They also picked up the transfer charge and the initial shipping fee.

It took a while for them to get back to me but I am real pleased with their warranty. It may take up to 2 weeks to get a new one but I can't complain.

Mac
Old September 7, 2012, 09:20 PM   #34
GP100man

Who`da thunk it !!!

This is why the rack is fillin with more & more Ruger products !

I`m all for supporting a company & their products with CS like this !!
Old September 8, 2012, 06:14 AM   #35
flyguy958

Great service from Ruger.

Shipping is much cheaper through an FFL, they can use USPS for less than $15.00.
Old September 8, 2012, 07:47 AM   #36
Hammerhead

Glad to hear they're taking care of it.
Old September 8, 2012, 08:04 AM   #37
floydster

I love Ruger--great company.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:16 PM   #38
farmerboy

Light charge? Any way that one could of had no powder at all. I seen where someone missed a row on loading block and primer pushed bullet 1/3 of way into pistol barrel. No powder was in barrel
Old September 9, 2012, 06:10 PM   #39
Mac Sidewinder

Initially that's what I thought farmerboy - light charge. But after it being impossible to remove all of the bullet from the barrel, it sounds like there may have been more to it than that. Or maybe they just use the terms "machining defect" just to cover a wide range of things that they are willing to eat the cost of to keep their customer base happy. Either way I am happy.

I do examing EVERY case while I am loading to ensure that there is powder dropping but I admit that I could have made a mistake (momentary distraction) to miss one. I just don't understand that if it was simply a lodged bullet, why it was impossible to remove the entire thing? There was a quarter moon shaped piece that wouldn't come out. Even pounding with a brass rod directly on it. Maybe that was the machining defect I saw and not a piece of the bullet.

Mac
Old September 9, 2012, 06:21 PM   #40
farmerboy

I guess we'll never know for sure what caused it exactly. I know that a primer only in a 40 caliber pistol with no powder almost pushed bullet 1/3 of way in. For just the primer alone that impressed me. And it took a brass punch and hammer to knock it out, it was really stuck. If you ever think you may have figured out what happened or get other ideas of what I hope you post them so it may help someone else.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:08 PM   #41
dunerjeff

Was that bullet lodged right under where the barrel is threaded into the frame or past it a ways? I know some of them were crushed from being threaded into the frames, that the only real machining defect I can think of, other than chatter marks. Either way ,they are a great compny the way they treat customers.
Old September 9, 2012, 07:19 PM   #42
farmerboy

One more thing on just primers is my friend was trying to primer something and does so sometimes when he's on medication even when he knows he shouldn't. Anyway a primer went off in his reloading room and now there is a hole the size of a primer in his ceiling to this day. If someone would have been looking over the top it could have blinded you. Just a reminder that primers do pack a punch.
Old September 23, 2012, 11:03 PM   #43
Mac Sidewinder

I get to pick up my replacement GP100 tomorrow. Finally! I can't say enough good things about Ruger. Besides replacing it with a brand new one, they also ate the $110 worth of shipping and FFL transfer fees. Great company.

Mac