The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 8, 2012, 05:35 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Castle Nut Pliers for M1A

The title pretty well sums it up actually. I just got my Sage stock from Clyde Armory and was all excited to drop my Scout into it when I got all the way to removing the flash suppressor and didn't have the %#^@* pliers...

I'm open to suggestions of improvization but thinking at the moment I'll just wait a couple days to get the pliers from MidwayUSA.
Old August 8, 2012, 06:07 PM   #2
hardhat harry

Wait.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:49 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

get the pliers, or a proper size spanner (hook spanner wrench).

And DON'T forget about the setscrew!!!
Old August 10, 2012, 06:53 AM   #4
SR420

Since 2004 I have installed many rifles in SAGE EBRs and I've never used castle nut pliers, I don't own any.

I back off the set screw and use the roll pin punch I have for the op rod guide pin and a small hammer to gently tap the castle nut loose.

This method has never let me down and it has not caused any damage to the castle nuts.

I hope that helps.
Old August 11, 2012, 08:45 AM   #5
30Cal

When I got mine rebarrelled, my guy skipped the setscrew and loctited the castlenut in place. There's a school of thought that a tight dogscrew applies an uneven stress at the end of the barrel; it's common for it to be backed off a turn and loctited there or just left out of the equation altogether.
Old August 14, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

As far as I know, the point of the setscrew is to keep the castle nut from coming loose to the point where the sight assembly can be mis-aligned with the bore. While it would be very unusual for the nut to loosen, the setscrew just means insurance.

Usually, the screw will be between the lugs on the nut, and need not be tightened to bear on the nut, (so no tension on the barrel) its just there so the nut can only move a little bit, IF it comes loose.

I might be wrong, and if I am, please, enlighten me.