The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 8, 2012, 08:21 AM   #1
dts686

Bullet Info Needed

When you look at a powders load data they list recipes for specific bullet types and weights.

Can I just go by the bullet weight and use it for any similar type bullet? Example: Can I use the data for a 124 grain 9mm Hornady XTP for a 124 grain 9mm Speer Gold Dot?

Or, should I adhere to the specific bullets listed.

Thank you for your experience and knowledge! You have helped me many many times!

David
Old August 8, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
wncchester

"Can I use the data for a 124 grain 9mm Hornady XTP for a 124 grain 9mm Speer Gold Dot?"

Yes. If it were 'necessary' to use bullet specific data to reload there are very many bullets that couldn't be used.
Old August 8, 2012, 08:30 AM   #3
jmortimer

I would do it below max if bullets are similar, otherwise, it makes sense to get data specific to bullet, not always possible unless you have many different powders and you find load data for each bullet with same powder. The two you mention should take same charges without a problem. If the seating depths are the same, pressure should be very close.
Old August 8, 2012, 11:13 AM   #4
mikld

Yes, you can do that, but, make sure you begin with starting loads. Different bullets have a different friction coeffecient (sp?) and may react differently to pressures. Anyway, its good reloading practice to go back to starting loads when any component is changed.
Old August 8, 2012, 02:47 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

For the most part the awnser is yes. Provided they are not the lead free bullets. Lead Free bullets of the same weight as lead core will be considerably longer.

I have not run into many for hand gun bullets. Though I have seen the rifle bullets becoming more commonly available.

In Example for ..223 Rem

A 55 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade is close in length to a 75 grain lead core bullet. So trying to go with the same charge weights for a 55 grain lead core using the 75 grain bullet would lead to an over charge in the case.

As long as it is of a similar construction. Data is interchangable. Just start at the starting load, and work up.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
SL1

In short pistol cases, the seating depth of same-weight bullets by different manufacturers CAN be significant at the same loaded cartridge length. It has to do with nose profile and size of hollow-point cavity. So, pressure differences can be substantial when substituting bullets in rounds like the 9mm, 40 S&W, etc.

The best thing you can do is to make sure that the seating depth is the same from your load to the data. OR, if the seating depth is to be different, then go to the trouble of finding the case capacity and the powder spaces behind the bullet in the data and the bullet in your loads so that you can adjust the charge weights to provide the same loading density.

SL1
Old August 8, 2012, 05:14 PM   #7
PA-Joe

As SL1 noted the COLs will differ between bullets.
Old August 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

I have not had a single load in 9mm or .45 acp that I seated to the listed depth. All have been longer. Those seated at the listed depth tend to hang up on feed ramps. Just be sure not to go shorter than the listed lenght, and start at the starting charge, and work up. In 9mm ususaly there is not much room in charge weight. Though always start at the starting weight.
Old August 8, 2012, 08:26 PM   #9
ROGER4314

I don't worry a lot about the style of the bullets but I don't swap loads for jacketed and lead bullets. I have a pretty complete library of loading manuals so if I can't find the bullet that I want in one manual, I'll check another book.

I'm not real obsessive about OAL for the chamber/throat dimensions as there are so many things that will increase accuracy even more. I want the projectile short of the rifling.

I have a full selection of cartridge overall length and dimension gauges for everything I load so if the round fits in the gauge, I'm happy!

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; August 8, 2012 at 08:40 PM.